Spirit Fighting

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by Freeform, Feb 26, 2002.

1. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

I've heard of a style called Spirit Fighting and i believe that is some form of kickboxing. Could anybody shed any light?

Thanx

2. Chazz

Chazz Keepin it kickin TKD style

I havent heard about it but i will do a search on it and see if i can pull up anything!

Chazz

3. Melanie

Melanie Bend the rules somewhat.. Supporter

Hiya Freeform,

Boy have I been having fun doing searches on this! Here's a couple of sites of interest:

http://www.hoboes.com/pub/Role-Playing/Shadowrun/NAGEE/Articles/3rd_NAGEE/Spirit%20is%20Strong

http://www.hoboes.com/pub/Role-Playing/Shadowrun/NAGEE/Articles/3rd_NAGEE/Spirit%20Guide

Got some good links on this too:

http://www.booktrail.com/Video_SelfDefense/Kick%20Butt%20-%20Kick%20Boxing%20Workout.asp

Not sure if this is what you were looking for (?)

Melanie

4. Chazz

Chazz Keepin it kickin TKD style

WOW,
    melanie has it goin on today. *L*
    I coudnt find anything.
    -Chazz

5. Ghostsuit

Ghostsuit Designer

Ahh the first two are from a Roleplay game called Shadow Run Nothing really to do with martial arts :(

6. Melanie

Melanie Bend the rules somewhat.. Supporter

Oh - I'm all embarrassed now!

Hahahaha

Melanie

7. Ghostsuit

Ghostsuit Designer

Ahh but you can do Martial Arts in the game. They have a cyber realm in the game where peoples spirits can fight basic who's will power is stronger (spot the person who used to work for a Games company :D).

As for Spirit Fighting I did I search and didn't find much useful.

8. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

Spirit

There was an organisation called Spirit, headed off by a guy called Kancho Brian Dossett I think! Uk based, they covered Nunchaku & Sheild combat amongst other things. They used to do a lot of Summer Camp type things.

There was also a Wing Chun based organisation in the UK, called Body, Mind & Spirit, run by a chap called Derek Jones. He passed away tragically, but I thinks it still runs via his Students..........Anybody ?

9. Joseki

Joseki Valued Member

Andy Murray
    Yes there is a martial art its called Spirit Combat and Brian Dossett is now a recognised (although they didnt like it cos he sees martial arts as a matter of fact than a long history) Soke and the Uk kancho is now Bill Cox 7th Dan (who is my main back up for Freestyle Ju Jitsu) they now have clubs all over the world (and i was lucky to gain position as a senior instructor with them)

Ghostsuit i have the old megadrive (genasis) game of shadow run (thats sad) and the only martial art in it is that you can be a samurai, but its a great game!!!!!

10. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

Hi Joseki,

I remember the Summer Camps used to get good coverage in the MA press in the days before the internet. Brian used to get a lot of stick, but he just got on with it anyway. I'm glad it is still going, but could you tell the forum a little more about it. I hope this is what Freeform was looking for in the first place!

What was the deal with the Viking Combat thing, the sheilds and Nunchakus? Do you guys still do that, or was it all a myth?

11. Joseki

Joseki Valued Member

Yes we still do viking combat and its great fun, i belive that it started for the kids that do it and then it grow (for the adults like it more)from there ive only had a little play and i dont know the rules but i will find out, but it is fun.
    The Summer camps were great (they stoped them for a while and i dont now why?) i met the Scotland Kancho kancho gary (or the white mister motavater as he calls it) at the last one.
    As for spirit combat it works on forms there a 10 to learn done in sets of 8 and its up to you how you do it say example frist grade you do all the normal stuff (attack defences throws etc) and you show form 1 to 3 of set one example escape from wrist grab (to attack the sholder) and so on but the real killer is the spirit test if you want to find out more go to www.spirtcombat.com

12. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

I actually saw a Spirit Combat demonstration at Seni, looked like fun. Kids hitting each other with big foam sticks and shields. I think I've got a picture of it, which I'll try and post.

13. taesujutsu

taesujutsu New Member

Spirit fighting(not the game) referrred to Chi masters of ancient times who were said to have fought each other in their dreams.

These masters had built up the Chi force to where they did nothave to physically meet.

Now before anyone says naything, I am not syaing they could or couldn't..I am just saying that is what it referred to at one time. :)

Peace,
    Tae

14. wayofthedragon

wayofthedragon The Defender

Spirit fighting. Hmmmm, sounds like something striaght from Dragon Ball Z:D

seriously I havent heard of it before. Hmmm, time to do more research:D

15. taesujutsu

taesujutsu New Member

Yes, research...that is the way we all truly lrean.
    There was a book that I had that told about the spirit fighting.

Most of what I gave was a breif explanation given to me by one of the Chi masters when I was visiting China. :)

I will see if I can find that book for you, and see if I can find some more topics. :S

Peace,
    Tae

16. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

KAMEHAMEHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    or
    MATENKAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    i like that :D
    -TkdWarrior-

17. khafra

khafra New Member

If you work out the kamehameha wave doing your own research, sign me up for classes

Hell, I'd even take a hadouken :D