Speed

Discussion in 'Kickboxing' started by r34.david, Apr 28, 2012.

1. r34.david

r34.david Valued Member

Well this is my first real thread and really what its gonna be is an article on speed and how it functions in different styles of kickboxing, i have used information from other posts to help me plan and decide what information will be involved in this. Credit to everyone who's information i have used. Enjoy :D

Let me start off with discussing effective speed and potential speed. Obviously someone will perform quicker while on a bag or pads, and the simple reason for this is. PADS DON'T HIT BACK, yes they make look like a total ninja while on a bag but in the ring they may perform completely different, this is where effective and potential speed comes into the equation. Potential speed is the quickest and the maximum speed the specific person can perform at, however effective speed is the speed they are performing at. Let me break this down, if an old man has studied a martial art for several years he may know a lot more technique and developed his techniques further than a young boy who is very agile and only studied a martial art for a short period of time. If they were competing against each other the older man may have have a higher effective speed he can put to use, this is from things like timing and technique, yes the younger boy may be quicker on a bag but when he comes up against a real opponent it completely changes the situation which means he will have a lower effective speed. The younger boy may have a higher potential speed but he cannot effectively use it against an opponent.

The next topic i'm going to talk about is the difference with effective speed in points sparring and light/full contact continuous fighting.

In points fighting speed is vital as it is who hits first, however several aspects can effect this. The commitment to making the shot, from watching points fighting a lot of fighters do not make a commitment into the shot they are about to make they hesitate to much and do not concentrate on being quicker then the opponent. From this we can learn that Effective speed and commitment to a move will increase the chance of a successful result, however the movement must also contain the correct technique, linking to the previous point this is related to effective speed as with technique effective speed will increase. With this being points fighting power is not an important aspect of this style, it will not be discussed in this section.

Continuous

In continuous there is more contributing factors than points this consists of; Power, stamina, technique, effective speed and commitment to a sequence of moves. Combining these factors will obviously lead to a well rounded continuous fighter. If you lack in one of these aspects continue to train on it and improve to get to that level. As a newbie of continuous fighting my view points are very limited, however from watching lots of videos on continuous and reading about it i have learned what may help a continuous fighter. A continuous fighter needs to combine these. To increase effective speed all these factors come into play. Technique+power+commitment= result.

Thank you for reading if there is anything you think needs added drop in a post.

:)

2. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

I liked your post, but I think you should not be so quick to say that one can go faster in pad training than in a ring fight. It depends on what kind of workout the pad holder is giving you. A good pad workout can wipe out anyone (e.g. get you incredibly fatigued).

Speed of pad workout can be end up same speed as sparring or same speed as competition in a good workout.

3. r34.david

r34.david Valued Member

Hi, true but my main point there is a bag cannot hit back, so this can affect how quick someone is due to that aspect :)

4. tdparisi83

tdparisi83 New Member

This is true, pads do not hit back. But the person holding the pads can swing them, and you can definitely simulate defensive combos with pads. Bobbing, weaving, blocking, checking and dodging can all be simulated in a combo. Usually you call out the combos to beginners, but as your partner gets more advanced, you can do freestyle combos, while mixing in the offense and defense. This is good for training reactive speed, which is useful in all styles, whether point sparring or in MMA fights.