Speed Training...

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by MartialKid, Oct 19, 2008.

1. MartialKid

MartialKid Valued Member

Whats the best way to improve on overall speed training? ( Punches, Kicks, Footwork etc )

2. KarlenITF

KarlenITF Valued Member

what MA do u practice?

3. MartialKid

MartialKid Valued Member

i dont but soon joining silat

i have done lots of MA before though

4. KarlenITF

KarlenITF Valued Member

for legs: try attaching some weight to your legs, about 1,5 - 2 kilos (better start with 1,5), than put your hand on the wall, so that you can hold on to it to keep balance and do some airkicking. Do it slowly: slowly lift the knee to the chest, than slowly straighten the leg, than knee to the chest again, then put the leg down. Do about 10 rep on a leg and different kicks, i dunno though what kicks you were taught, just 10 reps on every leg for every kick, and kick slowly, when you are good enoght after a month or 3 weeks i wont need to hold on to smth.

PS While one hand holds on to the wall, other one should be near your jaw as a part of training, and dont bend or other stuff while kicking, your body should be straight.

5. MartialKid

MartialKid Valued Member

6. MartialKid

MartialKid Valued Member

where could you get those sort of weights from? or they suitable for a 14yr old?

7. KarlenITF

KarlenITF Valued Member

8. MartialKid

MartialKid Valued Member

alright thanks :cool:

9. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

1. Training partner

2. Heavy bag

3. Double ended bag

[ame]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=1i9D1PlvsWs&feature=related[/ame]

10. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Don't use weights for speed training. In fact, when developing any attributes for kicking, don't attach any weight. This is the quickest way to develop arthritis in the hips and knees.

There are two types of speed when it comes to kicking: 1) reactionary, and 2) muscular.

For reaction speed have a partner hold focus pads and as soon as they present the target, hit it as fast as you can.

For muscular speed simply throw kicks as fast as you can against a pad or bag, and do high-explosive anaerobic drills like fartlek running (sprints).

Always develop technique before speed, speed before strength, and strength before endurance, in a workout.

Regards,

Dan

Last edited: Oct 24, 2008
  11. enderwiggins

enderwiggins Valued Member

Do we not have a huge thing on this in "What Not To Do" because of the suggested damage that you will do to your joints. Well either way I would suggest resistance bands for speed training, you don't want the weight pulling down to the earth with gravity. You need to to mimic that actual body mechanics that relate to what you are trying to speed up. Try using a resistance band and set it up so it pulls the opposite way you are pushing... Just my 2 cents.

12. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

Personally I've found skipping and shadow boxing(empasising head movement) to be very useful in improving my overall speed.

13. Mr Punch

Mr Punch Homicidal puppet

This is wrong. It'll help a really scrawny noob who hasn't any leg strength at all, but that effect will soon plateau (pretty much as soon as he can all the reps, i.e. probably two weeks or so.

Not bad advice. But if you use a double end bag for flip's sake don't practice like that guy in the vid. For a start, bring your hands back to some semblance of whatever your style calls a guard.

I think speed balls are good for noobs, despite them being out of favour with many modern trainers.

1.5 kg at slow speed isn't going to develop arthritis in a normal healthy human. It isn't going to develp speed either.

Very good advice. I would stress sprints a bit more, plyometrics, and heavy compound weightlifting (actually, I recommend this for everything! :D ... but it works!)

14. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

You know, I never even watch the vid:evil::bang:

Thought it would do:bang:

15. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Thomas Kurz cites in his book "Stretching Scientifically" that performing any type of kicking movement, slow or fast, while wearing ankle weights can cause cartilage to wear away in the knees and hips.

I agree with you that it doesn't develop speed; that's the point I was trying to make :)

16. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

Plyometrics, ladder drills, bag work, olympic lifts.

17. Mr Punch

LOL :D

Who's Thomas Kurz? A doc/PT with a line in knee books, regimes and products to sell? :whistle: I mean, I shouldn't scoff because I swear by Dr Stuart McGill's lower back exercises and advice and he's the same... but all the same; according to various research I can't be bothered to look up right now, it's not generally the weight but the repetition that will hit you in later life in any exercise, so yes, I'm sure 1.5 kg weights on your ankles will come back, but then so will walking, tying your shoelaces and nodding in agreement! It's a matter of degrees: personally I reckon with
    slow movements 1.5 kgs isn't going to do much by way of damage - but then it's not going to help with anything either! But then I'm no doctor! :hat:

LOL, I know, I was agreeing with you to reiterate and reinforce your opinion! We'll just have to agree to agree then!

You're recommending oly lifts for a 14 year-old who doesn't lift at all and is willing to take advice to work out with ankle weights?! :eek: Welcome to the thread! :D

And why ladders?

18. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

the ladder drills must be so he can climb to the top! j/k :p

start training in MA before you do any serious physical exercise. you can't develop speed in kicks and punches if you don't have anything resembling a good kick or a punch yet.

19. Mr Punch

Good point. You can speed up your technique just by getting good at it! No MA aims for slow techs.