speed routines

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by tom20051992_JKD, Dec 30, 2011.

1. tom20051992_JKD

tom20051992_JKD Valued Member

hi i was wondering if anybody has any training routines for developing hand speed and reaction time which can be done at home and with very little if any equipment??

2. Catch flies with chopsticks :D

Osu!

3. tonyv107

tonyv107 Valued Member

Look up plyrometrics. Reaction time can't be improved. Through constant sparring and muscle memory you can train your body to see certain attacks coming and you can move to avoid,block or parry them. The biggst thing is to never stay stationary. Stick n move!

4. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I would llike to see something backing up that claim. Are there any studies proving this?

Even if it is the case you can improve perception speed.

There are different types of speed, it is not just a case of going between point A and point B is the shortest time.

I may start first but arrive last.

Here is a reply I gave in another thread giving some examples of the different types of speed.

http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1074545453&postcount=16

5. Simon

6. tonyv107

tonyv107 Valued Member

Do you really have to ask? Do you even remember your first sparring session? If it was anything like mine you ended the day with a migraine. I was in great shape, knew what combinations I wanted to use, yet I got hit by nearly every attack that was thrown in my direction. Now after being more experienced with sparing I don't get hit as often. I remember to move, keep my lead hand up, see the tell tale signs of a
    Cross or hook and ducking under or slipping the jab. I wouldn't say any of that has to do with improved reaction time... It's your body knowing what do do and requiring less conscious effort to perform the action.

7. Simon

How is that done though and how do you improve further?

Understanding and breaking down each individual component makes for a better athlete.

Not all of my speed sessions involve sparring, bagwork or footwork.
    I have sessions just on perception, plyometrics, biomechanics and so on.

How do you prove reaction time cannot be improved, do you understand the different types of speed and how to train them.
    Do you understand Hicks Law?

I am not dismissing your post, I am though saying that a deeper understanding can make one better.

8. tonyv107

tonyv107 Valued Member

I won't lie I don't have a deeper understanding :p. prove me wrong as I am interested in the other options! I was just speaking from personal experience that my body simply learned to react as opposed to consciously reacting an attack.

9. tom20051992_JKD

yer im looking at expanding my daily training by incorperating speed just things i can do everyday so sparing isnt really viable especial since it not really praticed in the style i do which is based mainly around street defence, so it more about taking the other guy down as quickly as possible so sparing tend to be used on small scale since it doesnt teach good ideas when it comes general street defence.

i guess i should rephase it to mean daily stuff i can do increase speed, at the moment i do along:
    1) training with candle putting them out using punches and kicks
    2) and using paper placing holes tthrough a hanging piece

when i have partner i do:
    1) that resembles slapping where try slap the other hand while avoid being slapped to improve reflexes
    2)have the other person hold a pad and then throw a punch and when the pad mover see the movement they move the pad, thereby helping in improving speed and non telegraphic technique

are these routines good and does anyone know any others

Last edited: Dec 31, 2011
  10. tom20051992_JKD

above are the ones i do, are these similer to yours and if not what sort do you use? :)

11. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Practice

That's it......really

When people ask this type of question (and I mean this generically OP) they usually have not got the basics down pat. Get to a level of comfort and competency with the techniques FIRST, then you can isolate speeding them up.

Otherwise all you do is throw a crap technique faster

12. Simon

Here a few ideas from other threads. I'll post the links to avoid cross posting.

Watch the turbines.
    http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1074560235&postcount=3

Types of attack.
    http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1074487411&postcount=3

Controlling distance and types of sparring.
    http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1074487942&postcount=9

tonyv107 said speed improves through time spend sparring. This is true due to the following: -

• You will get faster as the awkwardness gets less
    • You will have more vision awareness.
    • Your timing will improve

On top of this you will learn to throw your punch/kick when the opponent is at his weakest, off balance or recovering from doing his own technique.

13. tonyv107

tonyv107 Valued Member

Great links Simon. They have opened up my eyes ( no pun intended ). I will be tryin some of those out!

14. Simon

I like drills that have you reacting to a stimulus, for example: -

I sit at the lights in my car with my hands on my lap. As soon as the lights change I have to react by dipping the clutch, shifting into gear (that's that stick thing for you Americans), giving it some gas and pulling away. Itmay seem silly, but I try to do it before the guy at my side has even reacted.

You meet someone in the street walking the same line as you. You both stop and there is a second of awkwardness while one of you moves.
    I though always make the first move and triangular sidestep around them.

My students think I am mad, but I do believe these things have improved my speed. I recognise the stimulus and act on it instantly, trying to remove the thought process.
    Bruce Lee said, "I don't hit, it hits all by itself." So he was trying to react without the awkward thought processes we all go through, especially when sparring.

The hardest part though is making it work in sparring. This is where time spent sparring serves you well. You need to slowly, slowly build up the intensity and improve the levels before being out of your comfort zone.

15. tom20051992_JKD

thanks i dont do much sparing instead doing scenarios where might face on the street, guy throws a punch, grabs behind ect, when i wrote this i was asking more about day to day training to do when im not in class or at gym on the punchbag, so i managed to get a few ideas thanks XD

16. Of course reaction times can be improved...

Look at a beginner tennis player, or table tennis player & you will notice he is late on the action, every time.

Now look at an ATP match: Not only the speed of the game has increased dramatically, but players are on top of it, very often in anticipation of what is coming.

So, what happened?

In short, reaction times have been reduced - from two ends:

1 - The player ingrained response in now wired, bypassing the "what do I do now" thinking activity; his game has become mindless; the automation of his brain to command his muscles, developed over hours and hours of dedicated practice, is in charge.

2 - The pattern recognition storage and retrieval system is at its sharpest; not only the player can recognize what is coming before his opponent has hit the ball, but he knows most of the tricks and moves hidden within a move; at high level, the player also has front of mind a statistical filter that tells him for each opponent what is most likely coming next.

3- MAYBE, at some level, the nerve influx has fastened, or the muscle contraction time is also more explosive; that I do not know, but it really accounts for very little.

OSu!