Spear Fighting

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by mr nate, Dec 8, 2010.

1. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Quick couple of questions for the WMA guys.

How complete are these manuals you refer to?

Is there any issue with the language, as in the age, that they are written in?

2. Stolenbjorn

Stolenbjorn Valued Member

They are pretty incomplete. We're reconstructing a MA. If you want to look at the "wma-ema-comparison-thread", you'll get a good impression on how we work, looking at 2d pictures, old cryptic lines in old fashioned versions of english, italian and german, and comparing with ema. Many who have done ema and start with wma keeps a clear "footprint" from the ema they stuided originally, when they try to do a certain wma. So you could say that if someone doing aikido studies "fiore", and some other dude to Karate, then starts doing "fiore", you can often see it when they go through the tecniques. A nice introduction to wma is this site: http://www.thearma.org/manuals.htm

3. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Oh I know. That's what I was saying. But on top of that, there were a lot of comments about how it doesn't resemble proper sojutsu, etc.

4. ScottUK

ScottUK More human than human...

Hehe no, the requirements are a) turn up regularly, b) listen, c) train hard and d) repeat next week, remembering points b) & c) from the week before. No begging necessary... ;)

5. Manga

Manga Moved On

ScottUK said - "Hehe no, the requirements are a) turn up regularly, b) listen, c) train hard and d) repeat next week, remembering points b) & c) from the week before. No begging necessary... ;)"

Hehe, I was trying to give you a sort of Mr Miyagi/Yoda vibe but you've ruined it now ;)

6. ScottUK

Hehe you'll still have to sit in seiza outside the dojo for three days, come rain or shine...

7. Manga

Manga Moved On

See you need to move with the times Scott, that's so 17th century. These days people are given a comfy chair but they have to wear an iPod with this song looped. If they last three days, they're in :hat:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kffacxfA7G4"]YouTube - Justin Bieber - Baby ft. Ludacris[/ame]

8. ScottUK

Err, no thanks Grasshopper - I will stick with physical torture over mental... ;)

9. Kogusoku

Kogusoku 髭また伸びた! Supporter

Too right! Playing Justin Beiber should be a hamon offence! :bang:

10. Bruce W Sims

Bruce W Sims Banned Banned

Personally, I like the play at the beginning. Certainly it has much of the impractical nonsense that one would expect of two folks knowing that their personal safety is not seriously in question. I thought it was fun to see rudimentary movements demonstrated in quasi-combat responses. Rather much helps out with performing a given form and wondering just what the heck someone is actually trying to get done. FWIW.

Best Wishes,

Bruce