Spear Fighting

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by mr nate, Dec 8, 2010.

1. ScottUK

ScottUK More human than human...

Kinda like saying 'my band is influenced by Hendrix but we've never listened to him'. :D

1) Your only point of reference for kenjutsu seems to be youtube
    2) You need to read up on what kenjutsu is (and what Toyama-ryu is)
    3) you are making a proper mess of how your school is portrayed on the net

2. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

See to me this is bad practice. Not the mixing, I think as long as you have a good knowledge of what you want to mix and it's what you want to do then fine, knock yourself out. Not my thing but as long as you are competent and honest then ok.

It's the "whether I've trained in them or not" that I think will get you unstuck and mixing systems that on a basic level conflict, especially if you don't know the systems well enough to be aware of the conflicts.

For example the kenjutsu dojo I attend also teaches a system of iai but I do not do that because I already study "iai" in another system and the two differ on a number of fundamental levels.

Cherry picking from each one really wouldn't work, even if I wanted to mix and match.

3. Stolenbjorn

Stolenbjorn Valued Member

Here’s my thoughts from a WMA perspective. I’ve not studied European spear very much, but I have some rudimental experience with Fiore’s spear-section (1410 ad, relatively short twohand-spear)
    I’ll comment the first videy (spear-yari fighting)
    first 10 seconds; classic controlling of centre and left is winning because he don’t only attack or parry, but always do both. (actually when seeing it one other time, I think he actually first parries, then attacks, after WMA he should do both in one motion, he still wins, because mr.right is totally out of balance)
    In the second (15 sec), it’s a classic example of mr.right controls distance, a basic skill, crucial to know, and exemplified by “the Lynx” and “the tigre” in Fiore. He tries the same around 20 seconds, but miss, either because he is poor at aiming, he is pulling the blow as they don’t use protection or he misjudges the distance (maybe because mr.left is baiting, but baiting with distancing is unrealistic, you wouldn’t do that in a real fight).
    Mr.left tries a extended reach-technique around 28 seconds, by letting go of the front hand. This is shown with longsword in both Fiore and german systems. Aiming for the feet is a poor choise, though, and mr.right should kill him instantly by rushing in, before he regains control with both hands.
    At 33 seconds, mr.left once again demonstrates that he needs to practice distancing more.
    At 40 seconds, mr.right have a nice parry, but once again, he should have done both that parry and a upward cut at mr.left (called unterhau in german longsword and sutane in Italian). He then manages to win the “krieg” and dominate mr.left and finally end the fight with that stab at the chest (but he should have won the fight 4 seconds before). You see this very good in the slow replays, he merely parries the attacks to his leg, he should sidestep towards camera and do an upward cut at mr.left’s thigh while doing that block. I’ll stop there, 5 minutes would generate a long post.
    From a wma-perspective, I’d say that it looks as if the guys should work more on balance, distancing, traversing and “parry-repostes”. The timing of mr.right is quite good, a skill that is very well practiced by doing free-play. I’d also consider doing this with masks and hand-protection, as you don’t loose momentum by going light-contact.

4. mr nate

mr nate Valued Member

The mixing part comes from my Instructors, they have done the training in other systems and mix things together then teach me. I train, fight and teach how they have taught me to.
    There is plenty of MA systems that are a mix of styles, the head instructor might have trained in all the different systems and styles but does that mean the students trained under them also must?

5. mr nate

mr nate Valued Member

So kenjutsu practitioners are doing non kenjutsu techniques and posting it on youtube, ok I can live with that.

agreed that training sword should be done with the mindset that its a sword and designed to kill, that's how I do or like you say there is no point otherwise, I'm not in it to play.

6. mr nate

mr nate Valued Member

1) My point of reference is my insrtuctors in Israel and yes I do watch lots of MA on youtube.
    2)agreed, any good website or vids you can point me to would be greatly appreciated
    3)I'm happy with the way I run my school and how I teach, but I'll take your opinions on board, thanks.

7. Dean Winchester

Just wanted to say cheers to Nate for putting up with all these questions from all corners.

:cool:

8. mr nate

mr nate Valued Member

Thanks Dean :)

I'm more than happy with the techniques, drill, training, and tactics that I practice and teach.
    I prefer to be judged on how I train, spar and teach in person and I'm happy have a friendly meet up, spar, train with anyone if they so wish. I do like to practice with lots of people from whatever MA background whenever possible.
    My details can be found on my site so anyone can feel free to contact me.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2010
  9. ScottUK

ScottUK More human than human...

Once again, just for the cheap seats, that vid is not kenjutsu.

10. ludde

ludde Valued Member

I'd say

www.koryu.com look up their articles. Not a step by step thing, thats just a wast of time, but maybe you will find it interesting.

classicbudoka.wordpress.com Some articles that might be interesting.

11. nico storm

nico storm Valued Member

I still really do not get the obsession with making up a modern day sword system, if it be Japanese, European or Klingon. I certainly don't understand why people then go one to call it kenjutsu etc. These arts were devised at a time when they were in practical use, and they evolved over hundreds of years, and only the best and most useful techniques survived. How people can come along and try and synthesise a system together after a few years experience in this and that is beyond me. They have no really knowledge of any one particular school or art, let alone of swordsmanship itself. I know guys who have studied JSA for 20+ years who still consider themselves rank amateurs. You are only fooling yourself, and unfortunately your students, if you believe that what these videos portray is anything like real swordsmanship. It is just a competition to see who can hit first.

But these techniques are not practical in today's society, certainly not in the UK. So the study of these arts has to be about something deeper, about preserving a tradition, preserving a mindset, growing as a person etc etc. This is achieved through maintaining the traditions of those who laid down the framework for these arts, and the founders of the schools.

Without following these traditions and making efforts to correctly learn their history, techniques, strategies, etiquette etc (in the way that they are traditionally transmitted, what are we left with? A bunch of adult men and women playing with swords and spears like a bunch of kids? What is the point?

12. mr nate

mr nate Valued Member

I hear you Scott.

It says in the vid title Toyama ryu kenjutsu so this is where I will have got mixed up and mistaken.
    Could you please tell me what it is then please.

13. Chris Parker

Chris Parker Valued Member

14. Chris Parker

Hmm, missed this earlier....

Out of interest, I first suggested Bujinkan, you later confirmed that you were "90% sure", I supported that, and to support that indicated the unlikelihood of the other orgs, to the degree that if it was someone with that level of "skill" and they were a 6th Dan in the Genbukan, I'd be shocked (knowing what that rank means as compared to the Bujinkan).

So if he is Bujinkan, as I suggested, and that fits what I'm seeing (although I stand by saying he needs to go back to school), why would I need to be prepared to be shocked? Are you implying that he is a closet Genbukan guy?

Really, reading posts properly makes it easier to discuss things here....

15. mr nate

mr nate Valued Member

As you'll know yourself the details about these duels are hardly blow by blow accounts but if you do have some you could share I'd be very interested to read them.

I do like the idea of Bokuden setting up his opponent well in advance to convince him that he was so unsure of fighting an opponent wielding 2 sword so skillfully that it would be unfair and then slashing his left arm (from what I can understand anyway).
    And the no sword school is a freakin classic. love that bit.

Musashi from what I have read did pretty well for himself didn't he, I've read he used a bokken in most of his duels.

16. mr nate

mr nate Valued Member

I misread an earlier comment, Sorry.

17. Chris Parker

No problem. I'm over-reacting myself, so I'll apologise for that as well. Been a grumpy day.

18. mr nate

mr nate Valued Member

No worries Chris, I'm not taking it personally and I hope no one is taking my posts personally or as insults because they are certainly not meant to be that way.

19. Dean Winchester

I am!

I hereby challege you to a duel.

Bring your choice of weapon.

I'll bring a sandwich.

20. mr nate

mr nate Valued Member

I see, well one can do nothing not but accept such a challenge, so I'll bring the cakes and we'll make a picnic of it :)