spear and buckler fight

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by blindside, Mar 22, 2016.

1. blindside

blindside Valued Member

This was taken at the Vancouver, BC Beat the Crap Out of Cancer VI event. This is a really unusual pairing and makes for some plays and some moves that you usually only see in demos and movies. For movie buffs it has shades of the Hector vs. Achilles fight from Troy.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJCFhZOyfgY"]Gary vs Red Spear Shield - YouTube[/ame]

2. bigreddog

bigreddog Valued Member

Apart from the fencing masks, do they have any armour? I'd imagine a stab from even a blunted spear might be problematic?

3. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

That was insanely cool.

4. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

Very cool skills display. Some of those turns are rather hard to do.

With a shield so small I'd rather just ditch it and have two hands on the spear.

5. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I'd say it looks effective. Although I would also like more control of a weapon. Imagine metal on the end must weigh quite a bit.

6. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

Well it's somewhat balanced out by the back spike but it's still a huge moment arm to turn with one hand. Although I image that in an age where most everyone farmed that would be less of an issue.

7. blindside

blindside Valued Member

Gloves and (I am assuming) a cup. They were being pretty good about controlling power.

8. blindside

blindside Valued Member

My understanding is that the Thai shield is bigger than the buckler in use here. I suspect these are just what were available. But yes, I would agree with you.

9. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Cool video, good skills, and in aid of charity too.

All round epic win.

10. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

Huh. I didn't know spear and buckler was a thing. What arts practice that?

Spear is an awesome weapon. Swordsman's worst nightmare. They are so fast and can withdraw so quickly. One spearman can take out two swordsmen in reasonably short order. Jerks. ;)

11. blindside

blindside Valued Member

My understanding is that this is drawing from krabi krabong, the old Thai weapon system(s). I don't think this size buckler was normally what they used, the Thai shields are larger than this, I think these were simply what were available.

12. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

Ah, OK. Still it's cool.

I did a bit of sword & buckler last night. Super fun, though not my specialty.

13. armanox

armanox Kick this Ginger...

There is the tinbe and rochin (short spear and tortise shell) in Okinawan Kobudo that is similar.