Speakman's Kenpo 5.0

Discussion in 'Kenpo' started by SPX, Jun 5, 2010.

1. SPX

SPX Valued Member

I found a thread regarding the system when I searched, but it was about 5 years old so I thought I'd post something fresh.

I've dabbled through the years in everything from wushu to muay thai to TKD to Judo, and I just ran across a school here in Utah for Kenpo 5.0 and thought I might check it out.

Does anyone here have experience with this system? Other than the fact that it incorporates a little bit of BJJ stuff, I really don't know much about it. In fact, I don't even know a great deal about Kenpo.

Help me out here, guys. . .

2. Bronze Statue

Bronze Statue Valued Member

Kenpo 5.0?

If you are practicing Kenpo 5.0 and your opponent only knows Kenpo 4.0 or some other earlier version, will he crash?

3. SPX

SPX Valued Member

Thank you for the very helpful post.

4. Ranzan

Ranzan Valued Member

This makes no sense

5. french fri25

french fri25 Valued Member

well i dont know a whole lot about kenpo. never trained in it myself. but i have seen some vids of Speakmans guys and all i can say is they seem to train hard and have some pretty decent sparring, so i say you go ahead and check it out; see for yourself.

6. Quincyma80

Quincyma80 Valued Member

Update the drivers first

Sorry - I did find this response amusing. :)
    Upgrading from 4.0 to Kenpo 5.0 is not a problem if you update the drivers first.
    Just like I need to do update BootCamp to 2.1 drivers so I can install Windows XP SP3.
    Death to Gates !!
    Death to Jobs !!!
    Rise of the open source proletariat!!!!!
    :mad:

I will answer SPX in my next post.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2010
  7. Quincyma80

Quincyma80 Valued Member

Some info

Hello SPX

With certain exceptions, IMHO this MAP universe is not exactly a hot bed of American Kenpo discussions. American Kenpo simply doesn’t have a significant Martial Arts market share in The British Isles, which this majority of MAP members hail from.

Just as one example - the British Kenpo Karate Union has five locations listed in the UK, as compared to the British Kendo Association - which has thirty clubs listed. Obviously there are other British Kenpo groups outside of the BKKU and I would be happy for their members to chime in on this thread.

As far as searching for knowledge - in my keyboard travels in cyberspace the most informative place has been the Kenpo Talk website:

http://www.kenpotalk.com

If you go to Jeff Speakman’s website?:

http://www.jeffspeakmantexas.com/

The site basically confirms your assumption as “evolutionary product…” “…that has added elements of ground fighting".

Also as someone who has studied both Kenpo and TMA sometimes I sometime wonder if AK believers just try to over-analyze fighting too much and have far too many “techniques” to learn.

In the end – with any functional style – it needs seven-or-eight signature techniques that can be applied within multiple scenarios against a non-compliant opponent who is really attacking you.

I mean really attacking and not being a distant one-armed mannequin.

Go visit the nearby school and watch a class. Please check back with us with your comments.

Good luck!

8. SPX

SPX Valued Member

Quincy:

Thanks for the reply. I may check out the Kenpotalk forum.

All in all, from the vids I've watched, it still looks like the same old Kenpo I've seen before + some ground work, so I doubt it'll appeal to me in the long run, but I may go give the school a look.

I don't personally see the 100-hits-in-8-seconds approach as practical and I've often felt that it is inferior technique to a good right cross.

But I could be wrong.

9. SPX

SPX Valued Member

Why is this, by the way? I've always thought of MAP as the premiere forum for all-around TMA discussion, but I did notice that there are very many UK members. . .

10. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

UK people are more e-sociable? ;)

11. James Kovacich

James Kovacich RENEGADE

http://www.jeffspeakman.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=20&Itemid=36

American Kenpo version 5.0 is the hybrid of the last generation version of American Kenpo taught directly from Senior Grand Master Ed Parker to Jeff Speakman and ground fighting brought into the equation by several of Mr. Speakman’s students training and experiences as well as Mr. Speakman’s continued studies of Brazilian Ju Jitsu from his instructor Mr. Todd Nathanson. Approximately 30 new techniques have been created replacing dated or in-congruent techniques within the existing system. In addition another 30 techniques have been altered in varying degrees to accommodate the same thinking.

It is important to recognize that this is not grappling or cage fighting but an expanding philosophy of Kenpo to produce the Kenpo ground system coupled with training drills and sparring techniques. It is modifying the existing 4.0 system while remaining completely within the combat models and thinking of American Kenpo to address the increasing and prevalent void of ground fighting in the Kenpo world. By keeping within these models of Kenpo we have been able to develop a system combining the better of these two worlds to give our students the maximum ability to deal with the very real possibilities of becoming involved in these kinds of altercations. In addition, it allows us to continue to develop ourselves within the mind-body-spirit paradigm to reach a higher level of individual performance and sustained excellence therefore strengthening the group as a whole.