speaking of positive threads...

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by ember, Feb 20, 2007.

1. ember

ember Valued Member

Coyote and I are expecting!

Now I've already been reading the TKD resource on training & pregnancy, and ran a search in the Health & Fitness forum, plus I've been talking with both my doc and KJN, BUT...

Anyone else with experience on training and pregnancy that they want to share? Here or via PM, either way.

2. KSW_123

KSW_123 Valued Member

I don't have any advice, but congratulations!

3. Buckeye Blue

Buckeye Blue Valued Member

Excellent news. All I can say about parenthood is that there ain't nothin' like it in the world. How far along?

4. Willow

Willow Valued Member

First of all, congratulations!

Secondly, my wife (a doctor) stopped doing martial arts (hapkido at the time) after we found out because we did a lot of falling in class. She did, however, get permission from her doctor to do non-contact sports as long as she felt comfortable (up until 3 months I believe), then she was supposed to tone it down to light exercise. I would go without doing any sparring, falling, or techniques/hyung where there is a good chance you might fall frequently. The rest should be fine for a while.

Good luck! Our 2 year old son has been both a blessing and a joy.

5. ember

ember Valued Member

3 months along.

KJNs orders, I've been on no sparring, no nak bub, no jumping, and no partnering for techniques since about the new year. SO FAR I still feel okay on mid-level spin kicks, and adapting the forms to no jumping or acrobatics.

And I've been cutting down on my class schedule, pacing myself in the classes I'm still in.

6. kmguy8

kmguy8 Not Sin Binned

congrats!

"with arms wide open..." <---- a next generation quote?

7. ember

ember Valued Member

Double meaning. Natasha Bedingfield's Unwritten, and Creed's song by that title.

8. JSun

JSun Valued Member

:) Congratulations, ember and coyote. I'm assuming this is your first child. I hope you enjoy parenting as much as I have :)

9. kiseki

kiseki beating shadows since '06

best wishes!

we had a pregnant yellow belt for a bit, but since she was only semi-regular when she got pregnant, she was hesitant to keep it up. as a regular, and a black belt, you are certainly in a good position to at least somewhat keep up your program, which is quite lucky.

10. Choiyoungwoo

Choiyoungwoo Guest

Good Luck,

Get your advice from MEDICAL professionals. Period,

p,s, kids are great!!!!!!!!

11. fightinchance

fightinchance New Member

There is a girl in our class who is expecting, she wears a heart monitor, and wont let her heart rate go over....whatever, I'm sure you doctor could give you good perameters.

12. coc716

coc716 Just Some Guy

Once again, congrats you two... suckers. :D

But you saw my 3 kiddos at testing. It's a lot of fun. Being a Dad is one of my favorite things.

As for Kuk Sool, just take it easy. You are NOT doing hyung for 2. ;)

13. Bahng Uh Ki

Bahng Uh Ki Valued Member

14. ember

ember Valued Member

140 bpm. Because at about 150 bpm, the mothers exertion begins affecting the baby's heartrate, so they want to leave a margin. I've been trying to watch my pulse in class, pausing to check it periodically. As often as I've been checking, I'm starting to just "know" how fast is too fast. Kinda biofeedback...

The heck I'm not. I'm gearing up for what may possibly be the biggest workout for my life. Everything I've read says that moderate exercise is the best thing for both of us.

MayoClinic Article

"For most pregnant women, the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists recommends at least 30 minutes of moderate exercise on most, if not all, days of the week. But even shorter or less frequent workouts can help you stay in shape and prepare for labor."

"If you exercised before pregnancy, you can probably continue to work out at the same level while you're pregnant — as long as you're feeling comfortable and your health care provider says it's OK."

My Dr was insistent that my prenatal vitamins have DHA in it for the Omega-3 fatty acids, I think this is why.

15. TheMadhoose

TheMadhoose Carpe Jugulum

My wife trained in tkd up to 7 months pregnant. best advice take it easy listen to you rbody and noooooooooo contact whatsoever substiutue sparring for forms practice and just enjoy being knocked up

16. SaBumNim

SaBumNim Valued Member

Good Luck!

17. coc716

coc716 Just Some Guy

Yes, you're right. Staying active is actually a very good thing while you're pregnant. It sounds like YKJN has put the kibosh on anything that could be directly harmful (e.g. falling, sparring), so it's just a lot of physical activity for you. It's a good thing, and ought to help you shed the pregnancy weight fairly quickly after the baby is born.

I never understood those women that used pregnancy as an excuse to "eat for two" (really it's far from that, only maybe 500 calories more), sit on their butts, gain all this weight, then baby is born and they can't shed it all... and then complain. We've got 3 kids and my wife returned to her pre-pregnancy weight rather quickly after the kids were born. Exercise (even just walking), eating sensibly during the pregnancy.... all help.

In a few months, wait to see how baby kicks. Hold a board up to your stomach... see if the kiddo can break it. :)

18. kiseki

kiseki beating shadows since '06

HAHA.
    You should hold a broken board of to your stomach and take a pic for us near the end.

19. ember

ember Valued Member

Actually, that was KJN. If I'd meant YKJN, I'd have specified. Coyote tried asking YKJN about things once, and she said to ask him ;)

It's 300 calories... EXCEPT... I was trying to lose 1-2 pounds a week, so trying to eat ~500-1000 calories fewer per day than my metabolic needs. Including all the exercise.

I can't do that now (lose weight), so it means I now need somewhere in the range of ~800-1300 calories more than I was used to eating. I keep feeling like it's too much, but according to the doctor I LOST 1 pound in the 2nd month.

Losing weight is pretty common for first trimester, what with the morning sickness. It's usually made up for in the 2nd & third, so nothing to worry about yet. It's just one more thing to try and juggle / balance.