sparring

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Wilson, Mar 27, 2006.

1. Wilson

Wilson Valued Member

hey everybody whats up?

My friend's birthday is comming up soon and me and a couple other buddies are going to spar a little in his backyard. My friend is turning 16 and has been doing Karate for 4 years, my other friend is 15 and is doing Shaolin Kung Fu for about 1 year, my other other friend is 15 and hes does nothing but hes going to spar anyway, and i'm 16 and i've been doing Muay Thai and MMA for 1 week, but by the time his birthday comes it will be 2 months.

so anyways I am having trouble deciding what type of gloves to use, boxing or NHB. In my MMA classes I spar with 4 oz NHB gloves, and in my muay thai class I use boxing. I personally like the NHB gloves and so do all my other friends, but there is a potential risk of somone getting hurt, so in the muay thai section they told me to use 16 oz boxing gloves, however i cant take somone down and grapple with boxing gloves. My friends and I are not scared of getting hurt. Heres the question, are NHB going to be to brutal? I do not know to much about sparring because in my MMA class I've only sparred once and we threw to punches and then we went to the ground, but when i had the gloves i was fine.

2. TheMadhoose

TheMadhoose Carpe Jugulum

whatever you wear theres the risk of someone getting hurt.id sugest wearing the inflatable sumo thingy coz it looks funny

3. Visage

Visage Banned Banned

The way I'd look at it is, you're friends both do striking arts, your other friend has no training. I'm guessing your gonna be the only guy there with experience of groundfighting, so you might want to make it a standup match.
    You also have to think, throws, takedowns etc... You said you were sparring in a back yard. Being dropped on the floor with little to no experience of ground fighting can be dangerous without a qualified instructor.
    I'd say make it a standup match, go for the boxing gloves.

But, since I'm me, I'll also add that I wouldnt do it, since the risk for injury would seem to be quite high.

No doubt the people in this forum will disagree with me, but hey ho. :rolleyes:

4. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

Just use some control - remember, you are training not trying to kill one another.

5. IrishStomp

IrishStomp Valued Member

6. Wilson

Wilson Valued Member

well as of now i can only afford 1 more pair of gloves i cant either have 2 pairs of boxing gloves or 2 pairs of NHB gloves

7. Wilson

Wilson Valued Member

yeah, I definatley am leaning towards the boxing gloves i just came back from MMA, we had 16oz on and i got nailed in the nose and started bleeding, now if I had gotten hit with the 4 oz that would have hurt a bit more ;)

8. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

for what its worth i think that backyard boxing with a bunch of guys who have no clue what they are doing is a recipe for disaster. this is like a repeat of the whole korpy thing and ill say what i said there- I couldnt care less whether you guys get hurt. much like lotto, and people who leave money in cash machines, i consider it stupidity tax. what i care about is the negative repercussions on people who actually do box and do martial arts if one of you get badly hurt. it doesnt look good for anyone. and before you say "well we will be safe" blah blah i bet those guys who kicked their mate to death while he was wearing a tkd chest protector thought the exact same thing. especially considering the rather sizeable experience gap of 3 newbies and one guy whos been doing MA for 4 years (assuming it isnt ****ant watered down karate)

now i have nothing against sparring outside of class- i think it has helped me a lot- but i have ALWAYS done it in a safe manner and with people who are used to it. you DO NOT introduce someone to sparring via a backyard boxing rumble with his 16 year old buddies. that is incredibly dangerous. these sort of things have a habit of turning nasty- ive been on the recieving end of that myself, although in slightly different circumstances.

9. Tiki

Tiki New Member

As a mom, a home owner and a martial artist, I'd say, use all the gear you can find, all the control you can muster and make sure the homeowner's insurance is up to date.

"I've been studying XXX for a week...."

If you were my sons I'd wring your necks AFTER I took you out in a fair round.

Go to your room.

T

10. IrishStomp

IrishStomp Valued Member

ahahaha DAAMN! owned by the mom...