Sparring

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by Birdman, Jul 30, 2003.

1. Justin

Justin ITF-Taekwondo

"Yeah safer the better, 2 dollars is fine 10 dollars is safer - but 50 bucks? For a mouthpeice? Honestly that's considered waaaay luxury!!!"

i agree

2. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

Remember we're talking about an adult so he's not going to need to change until it is damaged.

So factor in 1 "safer" mouthguard over 5 years sparring against a cheap one (which should be really replaced after about 6 months.

It works out a lot better. Trust me once you get to international competition, or you spar a lot more it makes more sense to be safer now than brushing your teeth outside your mouth later.

Wait until your earning some money boys, £30 for safety isn't that much. How much do you pay for car insurance a year??

3. Helm

Helm New Member

Dont worry, im sure it will wear off:D

Actually, my old teacher phoned me and said he was starting up a new club in my home town (yay, no 14 mile drive), and he wanted me to help teach and find somewhere to train in :D :D :D
    Im pretty much happy as hell now, cant wait to start training again :D

4. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

... hey you guys want to make room for a TKD gal ?? I also know what it feels like!!:)

Cannot put a cost on a pretty smile :D

5. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

We were sparrnig yesterday in my Kenpo class. I got kicked hard in the calf and it still hurts but otehr than that I did very well. Took a couple body shots but blocked evreything that came at my head. It was great! my best day yet!

Last month the Founder of our school happened to be in the dojo while I was sparring with a 3rd Dan (I am 6th kyu so this guy is like 9 belts above me! he was teaching me not fighting me haha). He gave me some great advice and yesterday I tried to put it into action - retreat = advance, block and trap, conserve energy.

I felt a differnet level of perception than ever before. Before, it was almost liek I entered a cloudy room and fought half-blind. This time, I stayed square to my opponent, tried to synchronize with his(or her) timing, anticipating his (and her) tactics. "It hits all by itself" I think I realy felt that. the one time I got kicked square, I was thinking about the fight, not fighting.

Although I felt completely calm the entire time, I was called "an animal" by the most aggressive guy in the class but really it felt the opposite. I waited for my opening, patiently blocking and avoiding and timing, then EXPLOSIVE, trying to double the tempo suddenly! It works :). Maybe he just felt that way becasue of how I punched him square across the eyebrow and he couldn't lay a glove on me... that goofbal actually tried to land a jump side kick form 8 feet away. I just stepped aside and watched him float by... should have tagged him while he was up there...

thanks for listening :)

david

6. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

No Girls around, they give cooties!!! :p

I call all my "children" "the guys", non gender specific! If you train TKD your one of the guys! ;)

7. booksie_girl

booksie_girl Lucy the Terrible

In my case, about $1 500 for braces :eek: