Sparring

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by Birdman, Jul 30, 2003.

1. Birdman

Birdman New Member

Thanks to everyone for the fighting tips. I will try to use these tips in my next sparring match tomorrow.

This is a great Forum!

2. Jazman

Jazman New Member

yes, that's what the two peice is for. I wouldn't suggest it as it probably gets really annoying after awhile and just plain more expensive. Just look for a nice cheap one piece one. Won't run you more than a buck hopefully and as long as you form it correctly it should be comfortable. Seriously though, unless you and your partner want to hurt each other I would suggest toning down the contact. That way a kick to the head will only be embarrassing and not painful. Make sure to always keep your back hand up near your face and your front hand in front of your body or face(your choice). play around with stances and find which one is more comfortable for you to snap off some quick kicks and also which is easiest to dodge kicks while in... have fun and kick butt!

3. TheBorderer

TheBorderer New Member

Hi Birdman, welcome to MAP, as others have said, keep at the sparring:

sums it up very well. To again quote along similar lines as craigwarren (as Im the same grade as him and at the same school :)), its a case of perseverance {thinks "hmm TKD Tenet Deja vu here..."},with practice every one can get better, just sometimes yeah there are times when it is the 'hard' way that you learn things! (I've been hit in the nose once or twice, but luckily it wasn't that hard! :eek: ) As again keep your gaurd up, move, use moves that you know you feel work for you (but of course experiment sometimes :p) etc, there's various ways of doing things and here of course you get all opinions! By the way what style of TKD do you do? I'd be very surprised if an ITF class allowed so much contact!!! As Jazman said, definately "toning down the contact" is a good idea, some folk at sparring are, as my instructor(tosh) would say, "animals"! As far as the gum shields go, I only have a 'one piece' gumshield and it feels fine to me, but of course its up to you. Last thing what other gear do you use during sparring (hands, feet, etc) if you use any(?), just curious, as I don't know your school or that so, this I'm just 'throwing more ideas' into the MAP TKD melting pot(some ideas I think I may think on myself cheers guys :D)...

Best of luck with the sparring tomorrow man, go at it :woo: (well maybe not too much! ;)) and indeed as Jazman says "kick butt" ! :D

4. shadow joe

shadow joe seeker of truth

definitely where a mouthpiece anytime a high-moderate level of contact is involved. Feet can definitely remove teeth.

listen to everyone's comments.. they're pretty good... i particularly like the idea of keeping one's hands up. :D

peace

5. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

In the style of the "Scrubs" Opera man....

MIIISSSSSTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKEEEEE!!!! :eek:

Never ever ( and I mean never) just plump for the "cheap" option when investing in safety equipment!!

At best you might lose a tooth.........at worst??

You be dead!

If you are serious looking into protection follow these simple rules:

1) Make a Doctors appointment.
    2) Tell him why you need one and what types of impact you need a mouth guard for.
    3) Ask him how much it'll cost £30/$50 approx
    4) Get one custom made by a professional!!

No two mouthguards are the same. Different people require different protection. Don't put your safety.........,even life, in the hands of the cheapy option!!

Okay it might be more pricey than the $1 option but at least you know you've got some proper protection!!!

The choice is yours!!

6. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

Although there's a difference between a hard contact fight with good techniques and the "Animal" technique of which I object!!

:D

Rarely do you get 2 equals hitting hard contact though..... if hard contact happens it's usually due to an imbalance in ability!!

7. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

;)

Except on Birthday!

Much recieving please!

:Angel:

8. stump

stump Supersub

The mouth guard doesn't really protect your teeth, it protects your tongue and you biting it when hit. Haven't used a two piece guard so I can't comment on them

My Advice: use the one thats most comfortable

9. Helm

Helm New Member

Wow! Someone else that watches Scrubs?!?!

I watched season 1&2 and got totally hooked, im downloaded both seasons from the interweby now :D

I cant stop singing "Uuuunderdog" by Teds Barbershop band :D

I got the Scrubs Album too, some of the music on that show fits in so damn well, one of the best parts of it IMO.

Anyway, what were we talking about? Oh, the best kind of gun sheild you can get is one made by a dentist, will cost around £50 at least, but you get something made perfectly for your gums and teeth. I had one made for me when i was about 10 for rugby, its a boring process to have one made, but really offers the best kind of protection.

10. Jazman

Jazman New Member

"The mouth guard doesn't really protect your teeth, it protects your tongue and you biting it when hit. Haven't used a two piece guard so I can't comment on them"

Actually, it does more than that, it also can help prevent from concussions, guess it has something to do with your jaw rattling around or whatever.

"If you are serious looking into protection follow these simple rules:

1) Make a Doctors appointment.
    2) Tell him why you need one and what types of impact you need a mouth guard for.
    3) Ask him how much it'll cost £30/$50 approx
    4) Get one custom made by a professional!!"

50$ for a mouthpiece! whoa! the cheap ones usually have good protection in my opinion. I've never had any problems with teeth or tongue biting or whatever using cheapos and I've taken some serious shots to the head (had a 300 pound person slam into my head...) about the custom made mouthpieces I just form mine, fits almost perfectly to your teeth and won't ever fall out. Of course most people are probably at least 50$ richer than me so I guess you could spend your money on that. (Just care to mention that every piece of sparring gear I own only cost me 20$ :D)

11. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

Cool! Save now die later

Which do you prefer?

The cheaper or the safer!

Clunk click Kids!

12. Artikon

Artikon Advertise here ask me how

I prefer safer, plus with the added cost it usually has a longer shelf life. My adidas gear has lasted through some very hard training and competing the last 5 years . . . . course I lucked out and got all the pieces, shin, forearm, chest, and helmet . . . for under 20 USD a piece

13. Cain

Cain New Member

Sorry - Just noticed this -

50 dollars for a mouthpeice!!??

50 x 49 = 2450 rs in Indian currency :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Thats's wee bit too much for a mouthpeice :eek:

Things I could get with that kinda money -

A geforce 2

or

a whole weight set

or

mp3 player

or

a really expensive book :D

Heh :D

|Cain|

14. Jazman

Jazman New Member

yeah, with $50 I could get that new video game I always wanted! It still seems REALLY extreme, I could see 5 or 10 dollars, I might pay that for a custom one, but not 50...

"course I lucked out and got all the pieces, shin, forearm, chest, and helmet . . . for under 20 USD a piece"
    I hope shin and forearm were both a lot under 20$, you can get shin and forearm pads brand new in my neighborhood for about $7.(not for MA's but nearly the same design.) A new helmet for under $20 is rare though, do you order online?

"Cool! Save now die later

Which do you prefer?

The cheaper or the safer!

Clunk click Kids!"

actually, I plan on dying someday.. :D
    personally I prefer the cheaper because I'm not really the richest person... Of course I also don't spar full contact, all of my gear does protect me well though so I can't complain. When I start heavier sparring I might invest in some better stuff...

15. Artikon

I prefer safer, and I do know what you do mean. I'm not the richest person in the world but I happened to be around a supplier at a world championship who couldn't take their supplies back with them at the end so basically sold everything for 80% off.

And the safer the better especially when you do get into the heavier sparring :cool:

16. Cain

Cain New Member

Yeah safer the better, 2 dollars is fine 10 dollars is safer - but 50 bucks? For a mouthpeice? Honestly that's considered waaaay luxury!!!

|Cain|

17. Helm

Helm New Member

Eh? That makes no sense really. I spent around $100 on skating knee-pads because they were the best and i couldnt put a price on my kneecaps.

If you cant afford it- fine. But some people value such luxuries as a full set of teeth :D

18. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

My god I agree with a WTF person :p! You ever find a new club?

19. Artikon

Tosh you agree with a wtf person?! My lord, I want you to go home, get some bedrest, take some asparin . . . or a pint of ale whichever you prefer . . . . and practise your tuls in the morning ;)

20. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

Heh,

Guess us TKD boys stick together when it comes to knowing what kick in the face feels like :D