sparring tourney

Discussion in 'Karate' started by raaeoh, Apr 16, 2014.

1. raaeoh

raaeoh never tell me the odds

I am about to enter in my first point sparring tourney. This is a completely new thing for me.
    1. until recently none of the styles I have studied had a belt ranking.
    2. I am officially a orange in tkd, yellow in chidokwon karate. 7th gup or 6th kyu.
    3. quote from the rules "Must Compete in the Highest Rank You Hold!"
    4. the divisions are white, green, and black. I officially am in the white since I am under green. I believe.
    Am I cheating since I have been training for many more years than the average under green belt?

2. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

no, the rules are just weird, their fault if they don't like the results :p

i say go and have fun :D

3. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Your experience in TKD and karate at this stage ain't gonna mean squat.

Get stuck in, hit them more times than they hit you and enjoy it.

4. raaeoh

So a guy with a few yrs of boxing in the ring plus a few yrs combined karate and tkd should be held in the same rank as a white belt? I am just curious.

I am planning on having fun. There is a bet i get dq for drawing blood. I hope not though

5. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Drawing blood from an opponent in a tournament is always a win in my book.

Knock 'em dead man.

6. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Ding! There it is :D

You're entering a point fighting tourney. Your goal should be to do well at point fighting. :)

To do that you have to obey the rules about not just your grade, but your contact and everything else too.

I've watched guys with some boxing experience get made to look pretty silly at point sparring competitions. Generally they got frustrated and started trying to land shots on the guys who were dancing around them scoring points for taps.

They would then generally complain that the other guy lightly hit them loads but they only did one hard hit because that's what they were trained to do.

They were flat out wrong, of course, because of the environment they were in.

You should do really well because of your previous experience, depending on the level of competitors of course, but for your own satisfaction (and I don't mean that you wouldn't do this anyway, I'm just riffing off a throwaway comment in your post), do try and compete as the tournament requires. :)

Mitch

7. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Yeah.

Except for light/semi contact tournaments where it's not. :D

"Point fighting" is a broad category. To the OP, it would be better to know the exact rules than just a broad-brush statement. :)

Mitch

8. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

What is this "semi-contact" you speak of?

9. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

the dumb kind of point sparring, basically :p

but yeah, point sparring of any kind, you have to treat as a game, else that way madness lies (high-level competitors excepted, of course, but that way madness also lies, generally :p)

10. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

You'd be a higher grade than orange/yellow belt if you've been training a few years, generally speaking.

Like Pop said, don't expect point fighting to be a walk in the park, it's much faster than most people realise.

11. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

This is an example of point for those who don't know

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2yyvMD86eo"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2yyvMD86eo[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeUcZWsQyEk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeUcZWsQyEk[/ame]

It's not MMA or K1 by any stretch, but it isn't easy either

12. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

Most times I've seen the term it refers to somewhere between light contact and full. Usually done as points based. In principle it should be hard enough people feel it, but you shouldn't be trying to KO or actually hurt/injure them.

I hate point fighting with a passion, but you have to respect the people who are good at it. So damn fast.

That said, every point fighter I've met usually doesn't do so well at continuous and suck at harder contact stuff. Different skills though.

13. raaeoh

The exact rules for my division no direct contact to the face:bang: drawing blood is an imediate dq. Direct groin shots are not allowed. I am probbably geting dqed. All mu faviorte attacks are gone. :cry: Head foot hand gear definatly a cup. Are required. First hit scores a point. Other than that I could not tell you untill day of.

14. Hannibal

I fought in it three years ago - if I can adjust you certainly can :)

15. Hannibal

Often true but not always - the girl in the first video, Maeghan, is a good friend of mine. She is a world champ in point, continuous and kata and is 3-0 in Muay Thai :)

16. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

Pfft. Always someone who likes to be awkward :p

Sounds about right. When they say no direct contact to the face, does that include the entire head or is it the "mask" idea (where you draw a mask round the eyes, cheek bones, nose and mouth)? What about strikes to the side of the head (i.e: back of the fist to the cheek bone area)?

17. raaeoh

I was only in tkd for 1 yr testing was kind of screwed up due to head instructor issues. The karate class i am in now dosent follow a test schedule and only promotes when The instructor feels you are truely ready. When the tournament came up my testing was postponed since the focus of my training had switched.

18. raaeoh

Side of the head is fair game. Good thing too. I was already on the fence about doing the tournament. If no head contact was allowed i would have bailed.