sparring gear question

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by estranged13, May 27, 2008.

1. estranged13

estranged13 ex video game freak

I messed up and left my really sweaty dobok in my bag with the damp sparring gear

now i have mold on the inside of the forearm gaurds, any ideas as what to do?

its the vynal/sponge addidas forearms

2. TheWaywardSon

TheWaywardSon Habitual Line Stepper

Depends on what sort of gear you use I suppose, If your using the heavy kit, aka torso guards and foot and arm guards I'd say your in for some serious scrubbing with soap and some lysol, but if your using the lighter stuff ( the fingerless light contact gloves come to mind) you could probly get by with putting them in a wash cycle by themselves with a *VERY LIGHT* amount of color safe bleach to kill off the nastyness, used that trick on my stuff once worked like a charm. Hope that helps.

3. estranged13

its the heavy duty vynal but its not total vynal its cloth on the inside =(

4. TheWaywardSon

TheWaywardSon Habitual Line Stepper

Hmmm, you might try a disinfectant spray on the insides but i doubt that would kill it all off, maybe repeated treatments would do it, at somepoint you'll probly have to get in there and scrub it out by hand with a soapy cloth either way, just make sure to dry it, a hair dryer should do the trick. Actually.....something just came to mind, vinegar kills the crap out of mold, try using some diluted vinegar to scrub and clean it, you'll probly need more than one treatment, then dry it out and use something to kill the smell. Thats about all i can think of at the moment, lol this is the reason I got away from using gear, but thats more of a personal choice.

- I got curious, heres a link to a website on taking mold out of cloths, no exactly the same but it might help
    http://moldblogger.com/how-to-remove-mold-and-the-smell-from-clothing/

5. Ki Op

Ki Op Valued Member

Careful with what you use. You could kill the mold, but give yourself a nasty rash in the process. Try a mix of warm water, mild soap and rubbing alcohol....go easy on the alcohol part. I use something similar to this when I clean my hockey gear. Careful how much water you use too. You don't want to soak the inside to the point where it won't dry.

6. estranged13

okay i'll try some of these but like Ki Op said i have real sensitive skin =( So i'm really cautious to even change laundry soaps

7. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Bearing in mind your skin's possible reaction one of the best ways to kill the mould might just be exposure to really bright sunlight for a while.

Put it out with the mould in full sun for a few days and then try cleaning it with something fairly mild like non-bio washing powder (the stuff you use on kids clothes).

Worth a try at least.

Mitch