Sparring: Favourite Techniques...

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by Helm, Jan 19, 2003.

1. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

Hmmmm, Woould have called it...

" ...an outside-in axe kick " :D

I'm sure it's got a "proper" term and I've certainly practised them.

However, from a competition perspective this tends to lead the body quite open until you land the kick so I don't really use it.

I'll consult "the book" though its bound to be there somewhere....... I'll put an early bet in for Annuro Nearyo Chagi

" Inwards, Downward Kick"

Could be massively wrong but likesay :p

P.s. These are ITF phrases before anyone moans

Last edited: Jan 30, 2003
  2. Helm

Helm New Member

"out-side in axe kick"

Yea, pretty much your standard cresent kick with less swing, i use that sometimes too, not very powerful at all, but its something.

Actually i use that unless im too close to bring the leg up in the axe kick fashion.

Anyone ever been knocked out in sparring? Or got hit real hard? I seen a lil kid get kicked in the face and go down, and one time doing body-conditioning i wasnt paying attention and got wheelkicked in the face.....that hurt, some nice stars and mouth ulcars. ;D

3. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

Never been knocked out but I've had the stars appearing.

Hit hard? ooooooohhhh yes.

Ref came in to break us and the guy got me in a head lock and put everything into an uppercut........ that's when the stars appeared..... standing 8 count thanks very much...... Still won the tourney though! :D

First time I went to a "open" competition I got a real wake up call from a 6'2" kickboxer..... yep think Lesley Ash but with a shaved head......urgh

4. HKD

HKD New Member

yeah a friend of mine hurt his knee doing it. he was really flexable so when he through the kick his knee could touch his shoulder. he didn't hurt it to bad thought. so it could happen

5. HKD

HKD New Member

i wasn't meaning to sound bad, i was just giving my point. no harm done

6. Artikon

Artikon Advertise here ask me how

Woo been away a bit, that's what I get for moving.
    Okay axe kick . . . one of my favorite kicks. I'll agree with Helm it's a great kick for tournment sparring (at least WTF) but for practicality I would never do it in the street unless some guy bent down and presented the back of his head to me :yeleyes:

Andy to answer your question about specific term for outside axe kick. . . .the term would be bakat naeryo chagi. Bakat meaning motion from outside, naeryo meaning downward motion, and chagi meaning kick. The spelling is phoentic so don't quote me on the spelling ;) Tosh you're right about the inside axe kick BTW. Think that's more of the formal way of saying it though . . . I'd just say An naeryo chagi. Not sure, still studying korean so I'll let you know

As for the other questions about being hit or hitting people with and axe kick. I've been hit hard with one. Got caught flat footed in my last tourney and got tagged right underneath my eye at the bottom of the eye socket. Hurt like a bugger. I've also tagged my fair share of people in tourneys with it, and it's effective at a couple different ranges . . . but not practical for street . . . did I say that already?

Last thing I promise
    In wtf this is a warning and you will get a half point deduction for stepping in and even holding for a second. Rule is under I think article 14 of the WTF rule book, don't quote me on that either I don't have my copy in front of me right now. The warning is because it becomes a danger with having one foot in the air and the player possibly falling and hitting their head on the ground or being injured some other way. I'd call it.

Okay for real last thing.
    Does anyone practice a "chambered" axe kick. We call it chamber because we chamber our knee all the way up to our chest then unfold the rest of the leg and drive it down. Great for close in with not much room to bring your leg up. Anyone possibly call it something else?

Cheers

7. Helm

Helm New Member

Good reply BTW :D

Yeah, we use this kick alot, actually instead of the standard axe kick.

Bringing the leg up bent and explosively snapping it out straight, we call a Pit Kick. This is probably my favourite kick, we also train using a variant for which we have no name. Basically we throw a double-halfturning (either or both legs) and as this brings you in close immediately throwing the leg up bent and straightening it out to either hit with the bottom of the foot, or if they are facing striaght-on, using it in a cresent. Really a great kick, good for attack and counter-attack.

8. Labatt

Labatt New Member

I don't know why, but it's so hard to land a good kick these days. Maybe were just becomming better at sidestepping, and blocking?

9. Labatt

Labatt New Member

I do alot of double kicks, double round house. Double side kick with the same leg.

1 to the lower mid section to fake your opponent out, and then quickly snap your leg back and snap it to there face. Pretty sweet if your good at it.

10. Helm

Helm New Member

Yea, it is damn hard to make a good hit, people are too fast and the sport very advanced.
    Double kicks are good, you cant just rely on one solid kick now. I also like bringing a half-turning up, and twisting my body, but delaying the kick for a microsecond and then snapping it up high, using my right leg it comes up behind them, and often they dont see it. Also holding my leg on my opponents head and pushing and then scrambling trying to get it off :)

11. Artikon

Artikon Advertise here ask me how

FYI. That ruling is under article 14 section 2. No idea how I remembered that from the book off the top of my head.

12. Cain

Cain New Member

Hmm.....double kicks....I do one, bring it back downlanding on the ball of my foot while keeping my weight on the supporting leg and spring my kickin' leg back to shoot another one......used to do this as an exercise b'fore but it sure works :D

Also the stomach face combo is commom......never tried this b'fore but a face - stomach combo might be a good idea...

|Cain|

13. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

Actually these phrases are commonly misused:

Here's a break down

An = Inner or Inside
    Bakat = Outer or Outside

Annurro = Inwards, movement moves towards centre line
    Bakaro = Outwards, mocvement away from centre line

I tore ankle ligaments and was out for 6 months which I spent pretty much improving my terminology. :D

14. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

I think I was a bit crappy in my explanaton there <slaps self on wrist>

If you blobked it say with a cross fist/knifehand or rising block :p you would get 1 point for the perfect block (if it was perfect) and no doubt the other person would fall so you they would get the warning.

ITF though you understand! :)

15. Helm

Helm New Member

Ya, in ITF...sure....with your 'I' and all that business.

But WTF, peeps be all looking for the half-turning point kick, so an axe-kick suprises alot of people.

16. Labatt

Labatt New Member

The back spinning kick.

Ahh, my favorite kick, and im the best at it at my school.

I could land them when I was a kid, but no it's literaly impossible, the time it takes is too long, even if your the fastest. I Remember landing a good jumping back spinning kick, and the reaction it got from the crowd. I lost, but I was on TV!!!!

17. Helm

Helm New Member

You were on TV?! TKD on TV? OMG!

Best thing i ever saw was my m8 who does TKD with me landing a wheelkick on a MUCH more experienced opponent.
    Oh! i got a video of it too!
    Hes done TKD for like 2 years and this guy hes sparring against has done it for like 4 years and trains in Korea and europe and stuff.

Oh, my FTP's down, i'll post a link later =)

18. HKD

HKD New Member

that was one of my best kicks. try it from really close. move in on ur guy and clinch or to jam his kick. when U break lean on him him when he leans back against U, U do Ur jump spinning back. U can't do it to much they catch wind of it unless there stupid U may could land it 2 or 3 times. for me twice was the limit. and don't clinch to long Ull lose points

hkd

19. Labatt

Labatt New Member

I usualy try a jumping back kick when im in a clinch. The back spinning kick leaves me volnerable, very resky. Also, a back kick can do more damnage.

20. HKD

HKD New Member

not if U do it right, as there leaning in U step back and kick. there still coming in so they don't catch tehmselves till U kick them.