Sparring = Brain Damage?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Hazmatac, Apr 24, 2012.

1. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

This, I am sorry to say, is incorrect.

Chewing will not add strength to the jaw. Strength is gained through the overload principle. Therefore the gum you chew would need to be progressively more and more dense to have any effect.

Also the getting punched in the face doesn't build up a resistance to getting knocked out.

If that was the case why do old school boxers with two or three decades of training still get knocked out?

2. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

Thanks. Guess that explains a lot in my case. On the plus side, I attribute any memory malfunction to getting hit a lot......

3. Koetsuji

Koetsuji Valued Member

Good question, my answer is "flush". Because said old school boxers if fighting equally trIed fighters get knocked out from flush strikes to the head, if this weren't the case every strike would be a knock out blow because "elite" level boxers pack a lot of power

Tyson and Floyd may weather for instance, one punch doesn't knock out their opponents. Obviously I mean its not the first any old punch they land but the accurate and quick strike.

My dad was golden gloves in the army, grew up getting into scrap punched on the face by bigger guys, a few broken noses over the years but never once been knocked out, why? Cause maybe brawlers don't have the skill to do it, or maybe the guys he fought were amateurs idk, but it was proven to me in my first if get as a kid when I knocked out a bigger kid, I was weak And smaller but my dad having showed me a few proper techniques is why I prevailed, or maybe it was a lucky shot. But I've been in street fights against several thugs at once, been in many sparring matches with no helmets with, boxers, Muay Thai guys, Tae kwon do crazies who had no control taken thousands of shots to the jaw, and temples and never been knocked out And this was full contact, cause it seems I antogonize people. So my experience supports the "theories" I have presented other than muscle stretches I do no kneck conditioning to prevent it. Doesn't mean I don't believe it.

And by god I'm not saying the facts presented before me are wrong, but there is more than one way to make answer to x+y=2

4. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

I am having a hard time remembering a poster who wasn't a complete troll that made me cringe as much as most of your input does, really you got to try reading some time.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
  5. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

If you read my previous post that I made in this thread, brain damage is the result of various factors coming together overtime.

• How much force there is on impact
    • Where on the head the impact occurs
    • And how often impact occurs

Neurosurgery released an article in January earlier this year covering the subject of the effects of soccer/football in regards to brain damage: http://journals.lww.com/neurosurgery/Fulltext/2012/01000/Heading_in_Soccer___Dangerous_Play_.1.aspx

6. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

Although you're correct when you state that chewing gum can help strengthen your jaw, however it doesn't strengthen what results in a knock out; the neck snapping back. Not to mention, we have a wonderful piece of equipment that's cheaper and more efficient than chewing gum, its called a mouth guard.

And no, getting punched in the face on a regular basis will not strengthen your jaw or your neck. It can however result in brain damage.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
  7. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm not defending gum chewing here but you offer a better post to reply to then . . . chewing gum. I was under the assumption that you can knock people out three different ways. 1.) Concussion and 2.) Pinching the nerve in somebody's jaw by hitting them in the jaw, which is why they tell you to keep your darn mouth closed and thus the purpose of the mouth guard and 3.) getting a punch in to the neck sending a rush of or causing a lack of blood to the brain.

Being that I can't see a concussion being caused from being hit on the jaw to be as likely a scenario, I'm inclined to still believe it's a nerve being pinched. With that I can see somebody who knows nothing about boxing in a medical profession trying to put two and two together and telling a patient who boxes, "yeah, chew bubble gum" to prevent being knocked out.

To add on the whole getting punched in the face repetitively to strengthen yourself to not get knocked out . . . . wow. Toughness is not developed that way. I've done MMA before and currently Box and I think conditioning and confidence from developing skills and ability are a FAR BETTER way to develop what we think is "toughness." I do think some people are more inclined to being knocked out then others in that perspective on toughness but that can be a product of anything from bad genetics to never having done anything physical in your life. It doesn't matter if you have a glass jaw if nobody can hit you.

The only "toughness" I've gained from being hit in the face is not bruising as easily or getting a bloody nose as much. I still check myself during rounds because regardless of the fact that my nose doesn't bleed as easy anymore or my eyes don't blacken as much anymore, the punch on my face that I'm checking still hurt just as much as the time I learned that level of force messes up my face. I didn't get any tougher as far as feeling impact goes and what it does to me, my skin just got used to it.

8. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

There are pressure points in the jaw and the neck. But in an art such as Boxing (which was what I was referring to), either hitting the head hard enough to send the neck snapping back, or the opponent absorbing the impact by resisting against the punch are usually what results in a knock out.

If you watch this video here, you'll see what I mean:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiVrtP2arLk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiVrtP2arLk[/ame]

And this one with Boxing knockouts in action:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNG51lWTg84"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNG51lWTg84[/ame]

9. John R. Gambit

John R. Gambit The 'Rona Wrangler

Now your story is getting unbelievable sir.

10. Koetsuji

Koetsuji Valued Member

I know I'm such a sweet guy who'd ever believe I could annoy anyone

11. Koetsuji

Koetsuji Valued Member

Love fight science!

12. Koetsuji

Koetsuji Valued Member

See I'm more inclined to to listen to you since present cogent arguments rather than just mockery.

13. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

This is from a while back, but quite interesting:

14. Zinowor

Zinowor Moved on

Before I started sparring my IQ was around 120, now I'm down to 100.

I'm one punch in the face away from having a double digit IQ.

15. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Just stay clear of the Ninjutsu forum!

16. Koetsuji

Koetsuji Valued Member

Well there's ways to keep your I.Q. From falling, and that's playing chess, reading books and the like. I think that was stated here on this thread if I'm not mistaken.

Create new neural pathways to take over for the damaged ones

The brain is a muscle and needs to be exercised like any other. Sadly comic books and cartoons don't stimulate the brain enough (except batman and Spider-Man) so try watching education programs.

17. Zinowor

Zinowor Moved on

I lost my ability to play chess at 110 and reading books suddenly became totally lame at 100.

Learning is dumb anyway, that's for nerds.

18. Koetsuji

Koetsuji Valued Member

Nerds? You mean the guys who designed your computer your using? Your phone, tv, car and pretty much anything you can possibly think of you use on a daily basis? Nerds are awesome.

Good job trolling

19. Zinowor

Zinowor Moved on

If that's trolling, sarcasm doesn't exist.

20. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Trolling is posting inflammatory comments to generate a reaction - what Zinowor did was use self-deprecation and a humorous sign off

The vast majority of nerds will die in the first wave of Z Day anyway because they lack the necessary synthesis of mind and body