Sparring against Smaller People

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by Geordie Boy, Mar 24, 2004.

1. Geordie Boy

Geordie Boy New Member

Hi All,

Although at 6'2 im no giant, i find i really struggle against people smaller than me. A couple of the lads i train with are quite small , ones 5'5. He just rushes me hands flying, and gets inside before i can blink. Am i right to think all i need to do is simply tie him up and push him off, or is there anything else i can do.

Cheers
    GeordieBoy

2. semphoon

semphoon walk idiot, walk.

No dont tie him up. Dont even let him in.

Keep jabbing....and then jab more.

One of the best things about having a height advantage is that it is much easier to hide behind the jab.

But if he does get in then yes, push him off and get straight back out to a distance that benefits you and not him.

3. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Map Addict

Yeah,

Presumably, the length of your arms is proportional to your height.

So, use your longer reach to good effect and they will end up "rushing" into a jab.

Cheers. :)

4. semphoon

And another thing if he does rush you, dont just keep going back as if you are in a ring you will come against the ropes which is much harder to escape.

Lateral movement is much better, not only cause you will not back up against something but also it is more difficult for the attacker to keep his momentum going.

Ill say it again- DONT ALWAYS MOVE BACK- MOVE TO THE SIDE...AND VARY THE SIDE THAT YOU GO TO!!!

:)

5. Goju Dale

Goju Dale New Member

Actually, side to side is very easily trackable by an opponent. Moving forward (& backward) on 45's is not. Although you will be closing distance when you move forward on a 45 degree angle your oppionent will not be able to track you as easily. Think the letter 'X' with you being in the centre of the letter, you move out on those lines, you can use lateral and forward backwards as well to mix it up.

Hope that helps

Dale

6. semphoon

Good point. I actuall meant back in a straight line is a bad way to move all the time(although the post dosen't read like that....my bad). I agree with the 45deg.

7. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

If he manages to bob and weave under your jabs,
    The Little Fella sounds ripe for a short uppercut or two.

Think Audley Harrison, he's usually taller than his oponents, who all try to get inside his guard to shovel and UC but he nearly sparks them out every time with that crisp lead and read hand uppercut of his.

A great punch and not very common for bigger fighters to throw, because it's kinda awkward, from the inside or even better from the outside of a Cross, up the Middle.

8. C-Fugazi

C-Fugazi New Member

Never assume you have an advantage over smaller person. :)
    When your taller you should expect your opponent to slip or duck your punches and try to move inside.You have to prevent this by using the following techniques:

Keep your distance-Stay out of the boxing zone where he will find it easy to tag you.Keep moving out of his reach while at the same time using your own.Jab and move all the time and use the ring.With your legs being longer you can make more ground whilst maintaining the correct stance.If he has to chase you the chances are he will have to do it whilst practically running which will put him off balance.

Use the clinch-Its a good tactic to hold him if he gets in too close.When he is in close try this tactic.
    Place your right hand on his left shoulder and put some of your weight on that shoulder whilst at the same time placing your left hand on his right shoulder (front) and pushing.(Spinning)This will put him off balance and will enable you to throw a quick left hook as you spin him.It takes practice.Try and do it all in one movement.Put your weight on his shoulder and push his other shoulder whilst you move around too his weak side. (I hope that made sense to you)

If he ducks your jab then start aiming punches towards hius chest area.8/10 time you will catch him in the head as he ducks.Combine this with uppercuts and he may start having second thoughts on ducking.
    If he slips the jab (to your lead side-assuming your orthadox) create angles,start throwing a jab then circle and at the same time throwing left hooks.Use the v-step jabbing technique also.

Theres a lot more but I hoped this helped you. :)

9. TheMachine

TheMachine Valued Member

work the jab and keep your distance since your opponents objective is to get close to you so keep a good distance at all times