Sparring A Girl

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by paulbrec, Jan 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Seventh

Seventh Super Sexy Sushi Time

To add on to my previous post, there is a woman who trains in Jujitsu with us, and she is the only women there, surrounded by men in their (with the exception of me) early 20's, and I have the utmost respect for her.She holds her own, does the same intensity of training, same drills. Grappled with some of the guys and gave her a run for their money, though she did quite comically once wrap her entire body around the guy she was grappling with while they were standing so she was essentially off the floor and clinging onto the poor fellow, who looked quite confused at the time. She even choked me too lol.

The only possible difference in training we make for her is to account for her difference in anatomy, so when we were doing strikes to the diaphragm and chest area, we instead struck her in the stomach or lightly in the face. Same force (except the face because we didn't have gloves at the time), same amount of respect.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2012
  2. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Looking at a lot of the jokes on the cyborg thread though I'd say the women who do fight well don't get much more respect. Probably less actually.

3. Southpaw535

Although I will add that if you're a women and you don't at least try to do something about your hair I'm not going to want to roll with you either

4. Killa_Gorillas

Killa_Gorillas Banned Banned

Fixed that for you.;)

5. Seventh

Point taken. I do admit too that I felt the urge to laugh at some of the remarks, but I think it's just that unfortunate moment when the photographer decides to just take that picture. If the picture wasn't cyborg making a gorilla rage face, the responses might have been different.

6. Seventh

I might survive if they spare the children :p

7. Killa_Gorillas

Killa_Gorillas Banned Banned

LOL...

if they roll with me they'll be drenched in my sweat so they're gonna need a nice bit of hair to mop up with :hat:

8. Fu_Bag

Fu_Bag Valued Member

Maybe a different way to think about it...

If you're the senior student, you were probably asked to help this new student for a reason. What if by beating on you she was able to protect herself and her loved ones that much better if she ever needs to? I'm pretty sure I've had a concussion or two from volunteering to let women crime victims beat the crap out of me (and that's with me wearing protective gear). If you feel confident in your ability to take a little abuse for her benefit, what's unattractive about a woman wanting to learn MA? How is a woman's want or need to learn MA different from a guy's?

Not judging you in any way, just offering food for thought. :hat:

9. Chimpcheng

Chimpcheng Yup... Giant cow head... Supporter

Admittedly, it can be a bit awkward with hand placement or shots to the chest, well it used to be until one of the girls realised I was aiming my shots anywhere other than her chesticles (real word, swear to God) and told me to, and I quote, "fight like a real man".

So I did... :D

10. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Welcome to my world! In BJJ, I'm usually the only woman in class and it really annoys and frustrates me when guys refuse to train or roll with me. It doesn't happen often, but it does happen. Most guys in the class are happy to roll with me and I respect them for that. I have nothing but contempt for the ones that refuse to train with me (they are usually newbies who turn up for a couple of lessons and find they can't hack the training anyway).

I do have some sympathy for guys that find it uncomfortable training with women, it really isn't their fault. Society has conditioned them to be uncomfortable with women in contact sports. However, you have to realise that the women also has to get over the social stigma of doing a contact sport and rolling round on the floor with strange guys and frankly saying that it is an unattractive thing to do makes me mad. If the woman was stunningly beautiful, wearing a bikini and rolling round in mud with another woman, the same guys would often be cheering her on from the sidelines - these are the sorts of sexist double standards that apply.

11. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Awesome thread.

I just want to add that there was a women back when I took Ninjutsu and she was kind of "intense" and certainly not to be messed with! I have met girly girls in kickboxing too, and they have left me with a sore face many a time. There is one lady who can parry a jab AND backhand me EVERY TIME. Should start another thread about that actually.....

But yeah point being, everybody is there to train, you should really grow up!

12. Seventh

Win. Just, win.

13. Frodocious

I have the same problem rolling with long-haired men! :)

14. Frodocious

But the male MMA fighters who make the same faces don't come in for the same sort of jokes.

15. Southpaw535

I can't remember ever seeing a straight up refusal to roll with a woman. That's pretty depressing to hear about. The thing I've noticed with grappling though is while you'd think it'd be uncomfortable with a woman its no more uncomfortable than it is with a bloke. There's no move I can think of that relies on my...cupping shall we say... and if you think sitting between a girl's legs is awkward wait until your in North-South trying to look anywhere except straight up at a dude's crotch :D

I will add though that I did finally have a moment of awkwardness a few weeks back when I realised that I was struggling to pull my partner's gi out to wrap her arm because I was in fact not holding her collar, but pulling her bra out of place. Extra awkward points for not knowing whether I should make a point of saying I wasn't trying to get to her goodies.

edit:
    Heh, long hair on anyone is a pain its just women are the only people at my gym with hair long enough for it to make a difference

16. Seventh

I know how you feel. As someone 5 years younger and 30 pounds lighter then everyone else, most of the other guys and girls sometimes underestimate of downsize my skill. One of the girls was supposed to choke as part of a drill and she said, "I don't want to choke the cute little guy, I'm afraid I might snap him or something".

Anyways, the only possible reason someone should choose not to roll with you is because they want to stay in one piece, cuz be ninjered hurts :p

I see what you mean. Some of my fellow peers have this biased thing towards not hitting a women, even the girls are spouting that nonsense. It's nice to be gentlemen, but that doesn't mean following a out of date "honor" system that'll get you ridiculed or even worse, killed.

Evidently they haven't been directed to our Martial Arts Babe thread. But seriously, I agree with you wholeheartedly.

17. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

I understand, I know of female Boxers who feel the same about hitting males. They prefer to fight within their own gender, but note that you will be missing out on so much if you don't choose to spar with the opposite gender. Its good that you don't mind doing it.

No one here is asking you to competitively spar with your female peers, but asking that you don't discredit their abilities or potentials based on their gender. You have to be careful not to underestimate or caricature an individuals ability; beginner or pro, male or female, old or young. Boxing is an individuals martial art, in which no Boxer is the same. You can say "I don't like sparring females" but my question is "which female or females and on what basis?".

18. Seventh

I think (this is a very non scientific answer) the reason is because males are associated with dominance, so making the macho angry face doesn't really bother most.

Me? I frankly find the expression like the fighter is constipated or something, but that is just me.

19. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

But it IS sexist. What does YOUR perception of her attractiveness have to do with anything? Why should it inform her choices?

If you don't want to spar her, that's your call. But let's be clear that you ARE evaluating her actions by a set of criteria that is 1) different from other potential sparring partners and 2) based on her gender.

That's pretty much a working definition of sexism.

20. Frodocious

It hasn't happened very often, a couple of times in BJJ and once in Ninjutsu. None of the offenders started training regularly.

LOL! It's just as uncomfortable for us women you know. There are times when I really have no wish to keep my eyes open and feel that I should at least have had dinner with my partner in order to be staring at that part of his anatomy! :bang: :D

From my experience, one of the worst positions for a guy to be in for learning a new move is in my guard waiting to work a technique and not having any clue whereabouts to put his hands on my chest (and my chest is really not that impressive, particularly when encased in a compression sports bra! :))

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.