Spanish Tournament

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by Ferran, Feb 28, 2007.

1. Ferran

Ferran Valued Member

I've asked PSBN Velasco today. Things known:

Date: April 28-29
    Place: St. Feliu de Llobregat (right next to Barcelona, Spain; can't recall the name, but a bigger stadium than usual)

Kuk Sa Nim will be present and he'll probably be teaching the master class.

There are rooms locked for the competition at the Holiday Inn:

Holiday Inn Express (Molins de Rei)
    Tel: +34 93 666 10 01
    Reference: Martial Art Tournament for Kuk Sool Won Tournament

So, who's coming...?

Last edited: Mar 1, 2007
  2. ember

ember Valued Member

I suppose this means everyone will be out of town when I go through London that weekend?

3. mijorobert

mijorobert Valued Member

not now but one day i would love to go,is it open to everyone or just what?

4. fightinchance

fightinchance New Member

I thought that was the week of the Scottish Tourn. I thought Spain was in April??? I'm confused.

5. davefly76

davefly76 Valued Member

i thought it was april too???

6. mijorobert

mijorobert Valued Member

The Netherlands, Amsterdam Tournament - February 24th 2007

East Coast Tournament - Clemson, SC - CANCELLED

Great Lakes Tournament - Sault Ste Marie, Michigan - April 7th 2007

Missouri Tournament - St. Louis, MO - April 28th 2007

Spain Tournament - Barcelona, Spain - April 29th 2007

Scotland Tournament - Inverness, UK - May 26th 2007

European Championship - Norwich, UK - June 1st & 2nd 2007

California Tournament *** - October 6th 2007

Texas Tournament *** - October 27th 2007

Korea International Championship *** - October, 2007

United Kingdom Tournament - Birmingham, UK - November 24th 2007

*** Please note the schedule subject to Change

from official kuk sool website there's always the chance they changed it but its not changed on the website yet

7. Mung Kee

Mung Kee Valued Member

It's not been changed unless they are having the Spanish tourney on a Monday...which I doubt.

The Scottish tourney is definetly 26th May

8. Ferran

Ferran Valued Member

SORRY!!!!

Sorry everyone, really. Don't know how I missed it.

Sorrysorrysorry.

Just changed it, to avoid further confusion.

9. ember

ember Valued Member

Even worse. Now I have another reason to hope my travel slips a week.

10. Ferran

Ferran Valued Member

V Spanish Tournament is over. I'll try to get some data on medals & awards. My take?

Seminar on Saturday was nice, but short (difficult to do much in 20 mins. chunks). KSN speech was, to my taste, kind of basic. BTW, what _are_ sword meditations for? I think I got taught one, and it 'feels' nice & soft, but I don't quite know the purpose of it.

Breaking instruction was nice (I did not perform bad for my first time --had only done 2 previous breakings with child's boards, once--), and I got to meet SBN Nick.

Place was a bit small, though. It might have been better for KSW's promotion but we were kinda cramped, in there. Also, tournament seriously lacked referees (yellow belts started and somewhere past 1400 hrs. and, to make it worse, no one had been tested for blue --that I know of, in all three nearby schools-- since December, so we were... some company). Demo was nice. Airnick's valiant efforts to resist against a spear finally awarded him an ignominious death, but he seems to have recovered, since he died several more times (now we know the secret for his acrobatics: he's half cat!).

So, now I've seen how the people at other schools are (could not go to Amsterdam, won't be able to go to UK...). I'll just have to try to find a way to try (probably UK).

Thanks for the teaching, pleased to meet Airnick, davefly (can't be sure) and... Sorry... it was late, kinda tired... not even sure what I heard. Congratulations to medalists.

11. Bahng Uh Ki

Bahng Uh Ki Valued Member

• To help you to become one with the sword
    • to give you practice moving the sword in ways that will be usefull in hyung and sparring
    • practice meditating to gain relief from the torments. :)
    Good luck getting the RIGHT amount of relief, and release only when you are ready. :D

All IMHO, of course. YMMV. Maybe someone else can add to or take away from the list as appropriate?

Thanks for the report.

12. davefly76

davefly76 Valued Member

Hi Ferran, it was me you met :) Sorry i didn't stay and chat :( Hopefully see you in the UK sometime. :)

13. AirNick

AirNick Valued Member

All in all, I think it went really well. Good turn out for the tournament, demo and seminar. The room was pretty cramped but it makes for a good atmosphere during the demo. Spanish KSW is definitely coming along nicely.

Was good to put a face to the name of Ferran as well. Good breaking technique, must have been down to the teacher ;)

Just got back from the docs and my ankle isn't broke so I guess that's good :(

14. Ferran

Ferran Valued Member

Don't sweat it, we were all kinda tired, by then. Yes, I'll try to visit UK sometime. Check on some old places, see what's new (haven't been in London for 17 years or so, and only once , briefly, n Glasgow in '95) get to know more of it...

Wasn't there some other BB from MAP, when Airnick introduced us?

Be well.

15. Ferran

Ferran Valued Member

It is. I'd like to have more teaching styles, however. And some exchange. I don't know if WKSA rules make it possible to set encounters / serminars between schools of different instructors to swap methods.

It was not down to the student, certainly. Maybe the loss of weight, since I shaved a couple of days before? ;) Thank you.

When was that (I could not watch as comfortably as I'd have liked, I'm afraid)? Godd you're okay. I'm taking a sabbatical week (I could only train two days, anyway, since schools were closed yesterday and today), as I do have some minor quirks.

Keep well.

16. davefly76

davefly76 Valued Member

i was with kswflip when i met you, maybe it was him (sbn darren brown)

17. SatoriTheLush

SatoriTheLush Valued Member

If any of you know Jyo Kyo Nym Randy, formerly of the NW Houston school and currently teaching at HQ, he got Grand Champion at the Missouri tournament, the day before the Spain tourney. Give him a hearty congratulations when you see him =D

18. Choiyoungwoo

Choiyoungwoo Guest

Congrats ?

There is no NW houston school. other than HQ/tomball.

19. SatoriTheLush

SatoriTheLush Valued Member

Clearly I'm mis-remembering which school he said he came from before transfering out to HQ.

Oh, and the Woodlands school probably counts as NW, also, though I don't think that is where he was before.