sp jab/hook question

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by shs111, Mar 25, 2013.

1. shs111

shs111 Valued Member

Hello Im a tall southpaw and was looking for any kind of tips regarding landing my jab and lead hook against orthodox fighters, same vice versa. Anyone have anything on positioning,concepts or any general stuff for landing that lead arm more....
    Especially the lead hook since im tall I was alwats taught to keep people on the outside so when I throw my hook Its always a long range punch with not much power, usually setting up my rear hand or a pot shot type of punch.
    I think foot position also plays a big part in the opposite stance debate so Im wondering when I throw the hook should my foot be on the inside or outside and also what would be the best exit after that hook since ill be closer than usual..I know lead foot should always be on the outside of theirs but not sure if true when trying to land a hard hook...Thanks in advance

2. cuongnhugirl

cuongnhugirl Banned Banned

The hook is a short range punch. throwing it from the outisde makes it really wide which is why i don't throw them from the outside. I assume you are using a left hook. Then you should pivot off the right foot and turn your hips into it so that your body rotates into the punch. Donaire knocking out Montiel is a good example of what i'm saying. Be sure to keep your right guard up so that if you don't connect you're not just wide open for a counter.
    Hope that helps.

3. Seventh

Seventh Super Sexy Sushi Time

I'd say just set your opponent up for it. Leading with a lead hooks is quite iffy, and if you try to lead with it you'll usually get a jab in your face for your troubles. Sometimes you'll be a bit to far out and your movement will be big, making it easier for your opponent to intercept you. Try to set it up with a jab. Another thing you can do is throw a hard jab, then throw a light cross, then throw your lead hook. The cross distracts your opponent whilst you move in closer to launch the hook, and the shifting of weight lets you put more power behind your hook. Anything else just has to be worked on in sparring, on mitts and on bag. I'm speaking from strictly Boxing perspective though.

4. Happy Feet Cotton Tail

Happy Feet Cotton Tail Valued Member

I'm a (tall) southpaw and I generally keep my lead leg outside. Especially when I'm jabbing, because throwing a jab while your leg is on the inside often gives your opponent a really good angle that you don't want them to have.

How close I stand when throwing a lead hook for me tends to come down to whether I want to just to tag my opponent or actually throw something hard.

5. Happy Feet Cotton Tail

Happy Feet Cotton Tail Valued Member

There is always a risk in throwing hooks from the lead, but generally while jabs are - sometimes - very safe they tend to be not very effective for southpaws. Generally if you're a southpaw, good footwork and firing with the left tends to replace the jab as a safe alternative to threaten with.

6. Seventh

Seventh Super Sexy Sushi Time

For me when fighting Southpaws, circling to my left whilst poppin out jabs has worked quite well. Then again, I've only ever fought 2 southpaws, though one of them was quite good. Personal experience I guess.

7. Grass hopper

Grass hopper Valued Member

Get really close for those lead hand hooks. Long range hooks are very easy to defend against.

8. cuongnhugirl

cuongnhugirl Banned Banned

And very easy to counter because they are so wide.

9. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I would argue the same can be said for any punch in isolation.

Any good boxer sets up an opponent. Footwork, body positioning, feints, false attacks, slips, direct and indirect attacks, combinations, angles and so on.

With these tactics the single direct (as a precursor to a combination) can be more than effective.

This thread has a few tips.

10. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

11. shs111

shs111 Valued Member

Some quick posts thanks Ill take a few things into consideration. As of the anwsers and thinking about it I think I simply just need to get a bit closer to shorten the range up

12. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

If you ever want to lead with a hook from a long distance, you better be damned fast and powerful. Probably the dumbest punch to throw from the outside, been seeing it a lot in the gym lately and all it does is get the person throwing it tired or open for an easy counter. I used to do it myself until I started catching crosses to the face : P.

13. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Not trying to knock you or anything man, but a lot of the things you're asking are sort of a repeat with some other threads you've posted. I know I've written some good info. on foot position for south paws and setting up punches and whatnot in previous threads from you, other members as well.

Serious question, are you given attention by trainers or more knowledgable people in the gym you're training in? Again, I'm not trying to knock you or anything. It's far more beneficial to learn how to maneuver in the gym under the supervision of an instructor or more experienced fighter then it is building a foundation from information on the internet. Are you able to ask these kinds of question in the gym and have you been asking them? Are you provided opportunity to work on these skills? I'm just genuinely concerned if you're being instructed since the last couple threads asking for advice are all pretty similar to each other.

14. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Opening a combo with a jab is risky for a southpaw because it is really easy to defend and the natural counter is a right cross from your opponent - why would you want to trade a cross for an easily blocked jab?

The only time I open with a jab is if I'm just buying some time or if (I'm feeling particularly fast) I'm trying to draw the cross from my opponent (slip to the outside, left hook to the body, left hook to the head).

15. sampla

sampla Valued Member

I fight like a southpaw, I strike a jab, rare

is it still risky

16. sampla

sampla Valued Member

why would you concentrate on the lead southpaw attacks against a regular stance fighters, if their other side is weak

17. sampla

sampla Valued Member

so, that means, that a regular stance boxers when they fight a southpaw boxers have the similar troubles with their jab, isn't it

18. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Yes. It's probably the source of a Southpaw's biggest advantage over an orthodox fighter. Orthodox fighters are drilled to jab, jab, jab, and the southpaw is drilled to fire a left cross as a counter.

19. sampla

sampla Valued Member

some nice info

20. sampla

sampla Valued Member

if to attack a jab, rare, is it still a disadvantage