Sore ! ....

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Ragnarok2005, Oct 30, 2007.

1. I've been out of any martial arts training for nearly a month. I fractured my metatarsal during a competition match, and then a few weeks later re-fractured it when I landed a roundhouse to my opponents chest, and on video, sat down and forfeited the match like a bitch. Haha.

Anyway. So the only training I've done this month is the Gym and last night was my first kickboxing night in what feels like a very long time. I was in for a good 2 1/2 hours, with an hour or so of that free sparring [Our kickboxing has teh gr4pp13]

And I've woke up today feeling very, very sore. Like, as sore as I was the first weeks I began training for the first time 4 years ago. My back, my neck and my legs. Been at work sore and in pain all evening just doing things like reaching down to pick things up and this feeling is totally alien to me.

Anybody else gone through this? Been out for a while and suddenly finds that the training routine they used to keep without problems [4-5 nights a week, 2-3 hours] is suddenly punishing? If so, is it gonna fade? In 2 weeks? A month?

-

Also, the IMA British and Fight Night is on November 11 at Southampton. Wondering which familiar faces are going to spectate or are fighting there. PM me or respond here.

Theres been talks of organizing some full contact fights so I'm hoping to get in on that. Make a break from just points fighting.

-

And an update, just because, while I have a thread going I feel like it.

Some of you know I applied for the British Army earlier this year. Well due to a history of Asthma [which ended over 2 years ago] I have been put on hold. The policy is to be 4 1/2 years clear of asthma, which leaves me with a few years waiting.

- With Love -

[​IMG]

- Rags -

Last edited: Oct 30, 2007
  2. Dillon

Dillon Valued Member

The soreness from returning to training can, IMO, be worse than the soreness when you start. It's because your muscles and things are no longer conditioned to the movements, but your wiring hasn't degraded completely. That is, your nervous system will still let you perform in a manner that outstrips your conditioning. You can actually work yourself harder relative to your ability than a beginner can. It's fun.

3. Sam

Sam Absent-ish member

I've been in and out of training since Dec '06, I was initially out for a month and when I returned to training (for 3 sessions) I actually felt that my standard of fitness was better than it was before I injured myself and I wasn't doing the usual shuffle around for 10 minutes whilst your joints ease up on waking the next morning.

However I'm due to go back thursday after roughly 11 months out so I'm expecting some pain.

I generally find shorter breaks improve my fitness/aching, longer periods obviously take a while to get over. Ease yourself back into it and make sure you stretch out after training, take a warm bath/shower etc anything to ease up the stiffness next day.

4. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

SKC has it pretty well summed up Rags. One more thing I would mention............

Advil or Motrin!

At my age, every little bit helps!

5. NZ Ninja

NZ Ninja Live wire.

Ive been teaching some selfdefence to a tkd club, I went and watchd them fight in the last comp and decided that it looked like way to much fun, so I joined them and my legs are stuffed, been real sore now for 3 days but man it was fun!!!!!!!! Join the club and get fit, never done tkd either, man this is going to be good. :D

Im supposed to be going hunting tomorrow, hope they feel better.
    :D

6. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I'm nearly 40. Welcome to my life :)

I've used a muscle rub before with a Deep Heat kind of effect. I used to rub it on before training and it seemed to keep the poet-training pain to a minimum. Might be worth a go?

Othrwise I think Dillon's got it spot on. You're body can remember the movements, it simply can't perform them in the volume it could. Give it a week or two and you'l be fine.

Mitch

7. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

as skc said, you are probably worse off.

ime you re-adapt pretty quickly, a lot quicker then it took first time, but the chance of injury is higher.

I have gone back in am I can kick as high as I could before, but my muscles weren't as condition as they were, and usually ending in mega soreness. Within a few weeks-month I was back to normal.

8. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

Usually when you work out it does damage to your muscles and your nervous system. If you haven't done a specific activity in some time, your nervous system will be heavily damaged due to the fact that it degrades rapidly when you cease to do a specific activity. That generally causes a bit of pain. I wouldn't worry about it too much. You probably won't even get sore after your 3rd workout.

9. Alonzo

Alonzo New Member

Being sore could be good or bad, from reading what is wrong. You should at the very least "consult" a doctor, just for good measure.