Sore upper spine?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by harhar, Sep 20, 2005.

1. harhar

harhar I hate semaphores

After yesterdays snatch workout, I started feeling sore in my upper spine. Anyone ever get this before? Very weird place to be sore. Maybe I should drop the weights from now on.

2. Colucci

Colucci My buddies call me Chris.

The spine itself? Or the traps and rhomboids (around the back of your neck, and "behind" your collarbones)? If it's the spine, I'd want to check your form. If it the upper back muscles, that's fine. If it's a new move, you're likely to experience a new type of soreness in muscles you may have not knwon you had before. Snatches, especially if the grip is a bit closer in, will definitely hit you from shoulder to shoulder and everything in between.

3. boptastic

boptastic New Member

I might be very wrong in this but if it is like an ache below the back of your neck thats in-between your shoulder blades it might not be your weight training thats the problem.

I had this problem for many a year before I even started doing weight training. I would occasionally feel sore and achey in the area you described and I could never figure out why but it would always come on if I was doing something for a real long time, such as walking round a shopping centre or something it would always come on.

Strangley I found that the problem was how many pillows I was sleeping on. I added a pillow two my usual two and now I never get this ache. So my advice would to sleep on an extra pillow and keep what your doing.

4. harhar

harhar I hate semaphores

Yup thats the place. Between shoulder blades. I think I should reduce volume. Maybe I do too much that my joints cant handle it.

Work capacity of my muscles multiplied after doing Bill Starr so this might be the "problem".

5. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

I've had that pain quite a few times before from doing olympic lifts. Don't quote me on this, but if it doesn't reduce in a couple of days concurrent with DOMS then I will be surprised.