sore throat after choke hold

Discussion in 'Injuries and Prevention' started by Zabrus, Mar 5, 2012.

1. Zabrus

Zabrus Valued Member

Today at class I received my first choke hold... Now I have a sore throat ( right side) I have to give in faster...

Any counsels to smooth it?

I go to the dojo by motorbike, and going back home was a chore: scarf + tied crash helmet on touching the neck, I felt like throwing up...

2. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Tap quicker! Haha.

Seriously though, I had the same problem. Get a massage from a professional sports therapist if you can afford it. We have one guy who is qualified at class so I was quite lucky.

3. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

I think there is less tapping/submission from holds in taijutsu though (compare to say judo) depends on school. Certainly when I was doing it stuff hurt as to say this works, but then a lot of attacking was fairly compliant ukes, much more so than in judo imo.

I hurt my neck when a low submission throw was too quick for me to breakfall and landed on my head. The cycle ride home was uncomfortable, I couldn't turn my head as easily, but it was fortunately much better the next day

4. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

It'll depend on just what Taijutsu he's doing.

His profile says Nihon Taijutsu, well Taijitsu but I won't go there, which is fairly generic as far as descriptions go.

5. Zabrus

Zabrus Valued Member

My sensei sensei's school is Yoshin Ryu Jujutsu. We do mainly Taijitsu (so, the europeanized version of jujutsu) with some Yoshin Ryu Jujutsu.

6. Zabrus

Zabrus Valued Member

Also, the specific Nihon TaiJitsu school is Roland Hernaez's school (the other sensei of my sensei)

7. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Is it your throat that is sore (eg. your trachea/windpipe) or is it the neck muscles that are sore? What type of choke? Air choke or blood choke?

If it's your trachea - then a massage by a therapist isn't going to help all that much... it's made of cartilage and soft tissue and can be bruised/crushed... if it's a muscular soreness then yes... rest and perhaps a bit of massage - it can also be bruised but it's muscle tissue so has much more blood flowing too it allowing it to be repaired.

You may not even need a pro massage... just a bit of self massage can work... but far be it from me to ever say not to a professional massage. :D

What are the symptoms? Swollen tissue? Stiff neck? Any trouble to turn to either side?

8. Zabrus

Zabrus Valued Member

It is the throat itself, as when you have a bad cough. Drinking water, etc, you feel it.

The rest is perfect, I can turn the neck perfectly (with the obvious small disconfort of the throat).

9. Malds

Malds New Member

:( no solution? Guess I'm just gonna have to rest it out. Same thing's happening to me from jiu jitsu choke holdes. Hurts to swallow but otherwise it's functioning ok.

I'm gonna need to tap sooner like the other guys suggested up above.

And sorry for the necroing this post, couldnt find a more recent one on the topic

10. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

sounds like you have heartburn, instead of the after-effects of a choke gone bad.

11. Zabrus

Zabrus Valued Member

In my case it was resting that did it.

And tapping out earlier has helped. Problem is, sometimes I am now tapping out too early.

12. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Tap too early then your late defense will suffer, but youll get more time rolling working your early defense?

13. 6footgeek

6footgeek Meow

If your trachea's closed, there's nothing your lungs can do to force it open, often in these holds you force yourself to breath and cause abrasions in your pharynx. Which then hurt.

If you've got tonsils still, they get squished and get sore, especially if you're already tonsillitis prone.

Gargling with diluted mouthwash gives temporary relief and helps keeping you safe from infections.