sore shin muscle!

Discussion in 'Injuries and Prevention' started by jamie1976, Oct 1, 2007.

1. jamie1976

jamie1976 Valued Member

my sgt major is a black belt in karate so for a pt lesson we did some and when doing round house to the body my partner blocked my kick with is elbow into my shin this was about 7 days ago an its still well sore any time i knock my shin so the muscle moves it REALLY hurts anyone got any ideas what this is there isnt any bruising or visale marks around the area?
    jamie :confused:

2. bwhite55

bwhite55 Valued Member

fish oils. take alot.

is it the shin bone or a muscle surrounding the shin? i'd always use tiger balm. and rest. a bad shin injury can take a while to heal and the more you rest the better off it is.

and i would recommend heat or cold, but i don't remember the guidelines to follow for that, so somebody that knows more about therapy and healing would be able to help you there.

3. jamie1976

jamie1976 Valued Member

its the muscle surrounding the shin mainly i got a support bandage on it most of the time now dont really wana wear it when i got shorts on i know it sounds daft but dont wana be getting stick for it out here so just wear it in bed and during the day when i got trousers on.
    dubt i can get tiger balm out here so i'll just ave to grizz it a lil bit lol
    thanx for the advice jamie

4. bwhite55

bwhite55 Valued Member

why can't you get tiger balm? and any pain relief cream should work. tiger balm just works best for me.

5. jamie1976

jamie1976 Valued Member

im in iraq at the mo so its a bit hard to get hold of cant exactly pop down the town and pick some up lol

6. Emil

Emil Valued Member

Are there any physical characteristics like swelling, bruising, etc? Can't you consult a medic in any case, if its bad, or are they not readily available?

Em

7. jamie1976

jamie1976 Valued Member

yeah medics are here but i hare going to them as there poo with stuff lik ethis if its the trots or a cold there ok or a bullet wound but muscle pains they just send you home or give you a ice pack and htats not really enough.
    nah there no bruising or swelling at all but its still hurting?
    jamie :confused:

8. bwhite55

bwhite55 Valued Member

errr....what did you just say? the only thing i understood was poo.

9. blessed_samurai

blessed_samurai Valued Member

NSAID (Ibuprofin or something that lists non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug).
    Massage
    Intermittent ice

10. fat-lazy-git

fat-lazy-git Valued Member

be careful, if its the shin bone itself it could be shin splints,if not treated properly ( doctor) then could lead to on going problems......so hopefully its just a strained muscle that needs resting .

11. jonwade

jonwade Valued Member

Sounds similar to my recent "wrist" injury. We were doing pad work, and "big Tony" did a coupld of roundhouse kicks to a pad I was holding, and they both really hurt. The next morning my wrist was agony, and my forearm ached. I assume that something was damaged, bone badly bruised. There were no outward signs at all though. If you can get some support, strap it up when you are exercising on it mostly, that may help. Rest is key, but in your current situation I guess you have little control over that!

12. FasterStronger

FasterStronger Banned Banned

Sounds like bruising to me, sometimes I have caught my shin on somone shin/hip and its hurt in that area for weeks, alternativly it could be shin splints which can be caused by too much walking or running in which case you need to stretch them out. Don't ask me how to do this since I never bothered to find out, I never got shin splints.

13. bwhite55

bwhite55 Valued Member

fish oils > NSAID

14. jamie1976

jamie1976 Valued Member

going away

thanx for all the post's guys i think it was just a bruised shin bone as its started to ease off now thakfully still a slight ache when i run or knock it but its not as bad i keep trying to rest it and wear my support when i can hopfully i will be fully mended soon!
    again thanx for all your posts
    jamie :woo: