sore neck

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by gornex, Feb 12, 2007.

1. gornex

gornex Valued Member

hey, so the other day i was kinda fooling around with some friends doing some very very sloppy wrestling/grappling. So the next day my neck was killing me. Couple days after and i can still feel it. The muscles on the side and back are real sore. I am going to start bjj soon hopefully, if not soon eventually. Is a sore neck something to expect? If so what can i do to prevent it?

PS what are some tips of getting out of a head lock?

2. Melanie

Melanie Bend the rules somewhat.. Supporter

Moved to BJJ section - as you'll more likely get responses here to be honest.

Personally - to get out a head lock I'd pinch their inner thigh in the tender part and use that as a distraction, stomp on their foot and wriggle...but thats probably not allowed (though I have actually done it before and worked - wasn't allowed to do it then either though...). :)

3. Pacificshore

Pacificshore Hit n RUN!

neck strengthening excercises to start. Unless you've worked your neck muscles any, they are one of the most neglected muscle areas of development.

4. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

ditto to pac reponse and and a nicly placed bite

5. Atharel

Atharel Errant

If your neck strength is up to par then headlocks are just annoyances. It seems that your two problems are closely linked.

Plus: alternate heating and cooling the sore area with occasional gentle stretching to prevent post-healing tightness.

6. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Pacshore speaketh the truth.

Everyone forgets the neck... that is except grapplers.
    Work it out and reap the benefits. But start slowly... it takes time to build it up.
    But eventually it becomes a fifth limb. Use it to cut lateraly through your opponents when taking them down (a la Randy Couture) - you'll be freakin' shocked how much easier this makes takedowns after you've gotten a grip on your opponent.

Do the search for 'neck' here at MAP. I've posted a fair bit on here about different exercises for the neck.

7. pauli

pauli mr guillotine

you know, i've had someone pinch my inner thigh as hard as they could to try and escape double overhooks. i did get a bruise the next day, but he didn't get out of the hold.

good technique is preferable to pain compliance not backed by risk of injury :)

8. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Yeah the whole pinch thing is WAAAAAAAAAAAY overrated. lol.
    Yes when I get a hold on someone chances are the can pinch me... but if I feel that coming on... I just lock down my hold and guaranteed they'll be choked out years before I even come close to letting go because of a pinch. :D

It's similar to the whole 'deadly eye-gouge'.... sounds good in theory... in reality it's just silly.

9. pauli

pauli mr guillotine

heh. i failed to actually address the original point. for the record:

first, always warm your neck, and always stretch your neck thoroughly. pay attention to where the sticking points are.

second, tap early and tap often. there's no good reason to try and tough out a neck crank during training, and a lot of chokes aren't worth fighting. if they've got it, give it to them. work defense on the bad ones, not the good ones.

third, always stretch your neck thoroughly again after training.

fourth, pay attention to your neck after training. don't let it set in a bad position. stretch it AGAIN before you go to bed. a crick in your neck from sleeping wrong can very easily translate into an injury the next day at class.

fifth, if you think there is something actually wrong with your neck, GET IT CHECK OUT. don't screw around.

10. RunningDog

RunningDog Valued Member

Headlock, LOL

It's easy to get out of someone's headlock and proceed to choke them TFO. You will learn this when you start BJJ, or Judo, or CSW, or whatever. Asking about it on the internets will just get you dumb comments from people who don't have a clue about grappling. Yes Melanie, I'm talking about you.

11. Lily

Lily Valued Member

Don't forget Japanese Jujitsu RD, we learn how to deal with headlocks.

P.S. - RD, you might want to be more polite to the ladies :D

12. slideyfoot

slideyfoot Co-Founder of Artemis BJJ

Like RunningDog implied, you'll find this out when you start BJJ - the internet is the place to look for supplemental material to improve what you already know, not form the basis of your training. When you start at that class, bring your technique-related questions to your instructor. As you're paying them, she or he should be happy to help you out. ;)

13. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Also as much prep as you do **** still happens (especially in a hard sport like grappling).
    I remember rolling out of something at BJJ one time and my neck pinged.
    Didn't seem to bad at the time but I couldn't move my head the next day (nor for the rest of the week).

14. Fishbone.

Fishbone. Banned Banned

Most of the decent stuff has been suggested already.

Also try something like Ice Gel. Get somebody to rub some into your neck. Hands are better than a massager. It's only temp relief, I basically live off that stuff lol. I did my first lesson of BJJ today. And someone did a shoulder thing on me, It's killing me.

Arm looks like it was burnt :(

15. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

slip what if they bit your nipple? :eek: :D

16. Hiroji

Hiroji laugh often, love much

or worse, they try to kiss you :eek:

17. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
    not unless they are buying dinner :eek:

18. RunningDog

RunningDog Valued Member

On the other hand, I might not.

That was one of my more polite posts. :Angel:

19. Lily

Lily Valued Member

RD - I know you for the sweet polite individual you are so I'm sure you'll make the right decision. :Angel:

20. 1bad65

1bad65 Valued Member

Your neck will get stronger doing BJJ. Mine did.

I also use 'herbal' remedies for the various aches and pains that come with BJJ.