Sore lower back when hitting bag

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Dan_The_Man, Feb 25, 2009.

1. Dan_The_Man

Dan_The_Man Valued Member

Hi there,

I have noticed that I have a sore lower back when hitting my bag. It seems to be located quite deep and to the left side. It's not really on my spine (I dont think) but more towards the left side of my hip. It is noticable when I punch with my right hand.

http://cache.eb.com/eb/image?id=64239&rendTypeId=4 this is an image I googled. My pain is around the area marked 72.

It is not intense pain by any means, just a deep, dull sort of pain.

I was wondering if this could turn out be be something serious and are there any ways that I can strengthen up that part of my body without hurting myself.

I have had this come and go for about a year but its never been enough pain to hinder my workouts and is only really noticable after particularly heavy punchbag workouts.

Any advice would be great.

2. zenpokaiten

zenpokaiten Valued Member

Even if the pain is minor at the time I would go talk to your doctor and see what he or she says. It could be nothing or it could be something, but trying to ignore only makes things worse in the long run if it does turn out to be something serious. I underwent lower back surgery about a year or so ago and I have had some good luck with a large core training ball.

3. CatWise

CatWise Valued Member

Hmm, you might be "over" twisting then doing upper cuts. I would offten get that type of pain and that is exactly what my instructor spotted and when started to watch me work on the heavy bag.

Recommendation: Strengthen up that area with some free weight back exercise and STRETCH!!! before and after each boxing work out.

4. Dan_The_Man

I'm not sure if im over twisting. It's just like when my body is lined up in such away that I'm throwing a straight right or even right hook I can feel something in that area. An example is if I do an Isometric punch against a wall. I just hold the position of a straight right and put pressure on the wall, I can feel that same dull feeling.

How would I even stretch or exersize this part of my body? It feels like its so deep inside.

5. CatWise

CatWise Valued Member

Hey Dan The Man,

I might be wrong. The only reason why I actually think that is when I work with a heavy bag, I would get the same type of pain. It was from doing upper cuts or hooks. Ones I "agreevated" that area, it hurt no matter what I did. And, it wasn't a "pain" like you said, it was just knowing that it was there.

There is a lot of strech excersises for you lower back. Pilattes and Yoga has some really good ones. (personally I prefer Pilattes as Yoga is just too damn boring).

As for strenght training for that lower back you can do:
    Hyperextensions,
    Stiff-Legged Barbell Deadlift
    Stiff Legg Barbell Good Morning - this I wouldn't recommend unless someone is there to make sure you are doing it right.

Also, I am a FIRM believer in chiropractic care when you do such sports as boxing or MA. I know that there are others that are much against it, but if it wasn't for my chiropractor, I would have fallen apart a long time ago.

6. Dan_The_Man

Thanks for the info Catwise!

Could you recommend any stretches that I could do? If you can explain them by writing that is...

Cheers,
    Dan

7. CatWise

CatWise Valued Member

Hey,

I would recommend that you got for one day to a pilates studio (don't worry you will not be the only man in most studios :) ) and ask the instructor is they can show you some good deep streches for the lower back.

Basically any "Twist" type strech with help.
    The "Child pose" from yoga/pilates is a good one.
    Lay down on your back, keep one leg streight, and the left leg up and bring it over to the right. Try to keep it on the ground, then look and strech to the left keeping your shoulder blades down to the floor.

If you could get that person to show you streches using the big balls that they have, I find that they go much deeper.

Hope this helps.