sore knuckle

Discussion in 'Injuries and Prevention' started by MindTricks, Jun 17, 2013.

1. MindTricks

MindTricks Valued Member

my big middle knuckle has been sore for 2 weeks now... it looks totally normal and dont hurt on its own but hurts every time i punch. It don't hurt more or less it just hurts exactly same every time i punch.

what could it be ? and I was wondering if there's anything i can do to speed up healing process ?

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I think you need to establish exactly what the injury is.

If there's no visible sign of injury, then a x-ray may be necessary.

3. MindTricks

MindTricks Valued Member

it only hurts on impact and there's no visible injury, its not getting worst or better...just been the same for about 2 weeks now

u rly think i should visit doctor ?

4. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Yes you should.

One you don't know what it is and two it seems to be giving you problems posting within ToS. (Terms of Service).

5. Simon

Yes I do.

If it is a bone injury you need to know.

Hand injuries are a real nuisance and can take months to heal, but if you have a problem then you could be making things worse by continuing to train and therefore delaying recovery.

6. MindTricks

MindTricks Valued Member

aight thx guys ill get an appointment wit GP will prob take weeks if not months to get an x-ray around here... ill just have to ease off my punches on that hand for now dont want to stop training

7. Simon

MindTricks, I think that's the correct course of action.

Please remember that text speak is against the ToS, so please type in full.

Thank you.

8. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Jeez, I would think establishing when it started hurting and the level of pain felt should be understood before recommending the hospital? My knuckles went through a period of always being sore from boxing for a while (sounding exactly like the OP described as his problem). All I did was ease up on the bag work and do a lot of other stuff and I was fine after about a week.

At MindTricks, what martial art do you do and how often are you hitting things? Have you increased your work load in the last month or so? How hard are you hitting a punching bag? Are you new to the type of training you're currently doing? I think you should assess that first before you make a decision to see a doctor unless you really feel you need to go. You may just need to stop hitting things for a couple days and you'll be fine.

This is just what I think by the way you described your problem as it sounds like it's just a dull, achey throb from hitting things. I've also broken my knuckle before and that's a sharp stabbing pain that will make you not hit things at all, which would be smart to go to the hospital for. You didn't really give a lot of info to go off of on the severity of pain and the type of training you're doing.

9. MindTricks

MindTricks Valued Member

yeah sorry i didn't give much detail here... i do muay thai and i have been doing it for about 7-8 months, training hard for past 3 months and hitting things pretty often and hard now

ill give doctor a shot anyway, it wont hurt

10. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

If that's what you feel is best then have at it! If it takes forever to get seen then I guess you're lucky you do Muay Thai because you can just get your kicking really good : P.

11. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

You have a sore knuckle that only hurts when you punch things and it hasn't gotten better despite you punching things?

Seriously - stop punching things. If the injury is still there after a month of rest, then you can justify seeing a doctor, but until then, if it doesn't hurt whilst carrying out your day to day (non-training) activities and you can manipulate all the joints without pain, seeing a doctor is probably unnecessary, since broken bones tend to hurt all the time. Starting a GP consultation with 'Doctor Doctor, it hurts when I punch things' is only guaranteed to get you thrown off stage at the next comedy club open mic night.

12. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

There is also a possible clue in that you keep hitting things and it's not getting worse. If it hurts in the same place over time, hasn't spread/increased/sharpened etc then things don't sound like they are too bad. That's good irrespective of the type of injury it is.

Just as an aside... if you went to a doctor and had an x ray and you had a crack/fracture etc then it is unlikely they would do anything anyway. It would be unusual to have surgery or a cast for something that sounds relatively non-irritable in nature.

Just a few thoughts to add to the others.

LFD

13. Dave76

Dave76 Valued Member

Maybe during your time of not punching things some heating ointment such as tiger balm could help.

14. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member