Sore knees from cycling - stretching & recovery?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by nzric, Oct 26, 2005.

1. nzric

nzric on lookout for bad guys

Well, I haven't used my new road bike much and the most I've ever ridden was about 60km at once, but I recently did a 210km "fun bike" event and now my knees are killing me!

I've had a look on the net and I think it's quadriceps tendonitis. There's a specific spot above each kneecap that feels like a bruise, and it gets sore (burning feeling) when I ride a bike. It doesn't hurt when I'm running/swimming, but it twinges whenever I get off a chair or climb stairs, or do squats in the gym. the rest of my leg is fine and I'm sure it's not ITB (as it's around the centre of the top of the knee, not the side).

I've been RICE-ing my knee which seems to help, but once I get healed I want to strengthen my knees to stop it happening again. I have pretty poor flexibility in my legs so I want to get stretches, but does anyone know of stretching/strengthening exercises that target that knee?

Also, any advice on bike setup (i.e. seat height/angle of reach to handlebars, etc) would be much appreciated.

2. TheCount

TheCount Happiness is a mindset

Probably just a form of cramp from the sudden increase in exercise. Protein, massaging it and gentle gentle stretching will help it. Avoid leg exercising until it is gone though! Its a sorta lingering lactic thingie, ive had it before. If you gentlely stretch and hold the stretch you almost feel as though stuff is running out of your leg. Avoid stairs, squats, cycling lol! Sounds wierd but walking is all the passive recovery needed to heal it

With your knees it may be an extreme compression injury as they call it from the constant pressure on them, this should be gone in a couple of days and you only get used to it from cycling.

Bike setup, any time sadle goes up the handbars go too. For the road you want narrower road or hybrid tires. Also an aluminium frame bike would be nice rather than the heavy tanks like mine that have extra wide tires etc.

3. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

Definitely get onto a good stretching routine focusing on the quads/hip flexors unless you want bursitis like I had.