Sore forearms

Discussion in 'Injuries and Prevention' started by koolaid, Aug 11, 2008.

1. koolaid

koolaid Valued Member

Hi all

Lately I have been getting sore forearms after weight lifting.
    It doesnt hurt while holding the weight, just when I relax my grip after lifting something heavy.

It almost feels like shin splints but in my fore arm.

I figure its either because the strength of my forearms is inbalanced to the rest of my arm and for the rest of the weight im lifting.

Or there is damage to my fore arm bones (either way I have started taking calcium pills, figure it couldnt hurt since I dont drink much milk)

Usually I can feel if the damage is muscular or bone related but I can't in this area.

Does anyone have any input on this?

2. newy085

newy085 Valued Member

My bro was having a similar problem, mainly with curls. We had figured out it was because he had changed his technique slightly and was 'rolling' the dumbells towards him at the end of the lift, instead of locking the wrist. Which we then broke down to underdeveloped forearms.

Im not sure what you call it but we made a metal bar with a rope that we attached to a kettle bell. And just roll it up and down. Within a couple of weeks the where feeling stronger, and less pain (and he started locking his wrist on the curls).

So firstly I would look at your technique, and see if you are putting un-needed stress on your wrist that has to be supported by your forearm muscles. Then I would look and isolating and strengthening the muscles. If you are still getting pains after a couple of week I would go see someone.

3. tom pain

tom pain I want Chewbacc for good

Call them 'wrist rollers' :p

Good piece of equipment. I use mine to finish off the session (I got one where the palms face down and another where the palms face in) and you get a great pump off it - and stronger forearms too!

4. newy085

newy085 Valued Member

Ha, yeah that makes sense. Thanks :cool:

5. koolaid

koolaid Valued Member

Wicked, I started doing this a few weeks ago.
    Nothing improved yet but Ill keep at it and hopefully it works.

I pretty much stopped doing bicep curls because it hurt to much.

Thanks for you advice.