Sore back of knee

Discussion in 'Injuries and Prevention' started by Yossarian, Jun 20, 2007.

1. Yossarian

Yossarian Valued Member

For the last few months ive had a recurring pain in the back of my knee, not the kneecap but the back of the leg where it bends. Everytime I think its better I make it happen again by stretching(sideways splits) or kicking high. It kind of feels like the hamstring but hamstring stretches have no effect on it. I mentioned this to my GP but he wasnt bothered as it doesnt effect my walking or going up stairs. Anyone have any idea what this could be and or anything I can do about it? Its starting to annoy me now as its my good head kicking leg.

2. Socrastein

Socrastein The Boxing Philosopher

Possible Trigger Points

Sounds like referred pain from some nearby trigger points, especially if stretching is making it worse.

Look for very tender spots in the following locations (the Xs) on your calves and hamstrings, for they're very likely to be the problem. If you find a very tender spot that is painful to press, let me know. You'll probably find more than one.
    [​IMG]

3. TheCount

TheCount Happiness is a mindset

Socra beat me to it... and it is a picture of the leg muscles lawl

Basically there are muscular structures in and around the knee joint. If you overwork/stretch/strain one it can cause a bit of a nuisance. If you are concerned get a physio referral from your doctor and get it checked up. May just be a case of some basic muscular exercises that strengthen it and fix it.

4. Yossarian

Yossarian Valued Member

Cheers guys, i had a poke at those points and felt nothing. I then had a stretch(including side splits) and the pain is back and one of the calf points(on the right of the pic) is painfull to push, the others seem fine though.

Ive not been training as much as I'd like this past year or so due to my instructor being in the Gulf. The muscles definately not getting the exercise they used to.

5. Socrastein

Socrastein The Boxing Philosopher

Try doing some simple self massage on that trigger point. Rub your fingers over the point in one direction applying enough pressure that it hurts pretty bad. Use about 10 slow strokes, about 1 a second. You should move your skin with your fingers, your fingers shouldn't slide over the skin. Do this every hour or two every day, until it no longer hurts to massage it.

You might trigger the pain in your knee that you've been feeling by stimulating the trigger point - that's normal, and it lets you know you've found the culprit.

Pick up "The Trigger Point Therapy Workbook" by Clair Davies to learn more about trigger points and self-treatment. I got it for about 20 dollars at a local book strore, and that's the best 20 bucks I've spent in a very long time.

6. TheCount

TheCount Happiness is a mindset

I'm no physio, just remember that. However if you try strengthening it with some basic cam raises (put weight on the outer of the foot to hit the out half more than the inner and vice versa) and see what you make of that. May help, might not

7. Yossarian

Yossarian Valued Member

Thanks guys ill give the massage a go, im also trying to get an appointment with a gp at my local surgery who is supposed to be good with sports injuries.

Could you explain this a bit more, i dont even know what a cam raise is lol, seems like its worth a try.

Cheers

8. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

I have had a couple of back surgeries and it makes sense to me since I have lost some of the ability to do proper strengthening with the upper calf of the left leg. But I do what I can, so I get what you are taking about.

Right behind the knee and it does hurt. More like a slight cramp at first then major pain, perfect timing to stop and shake / stretch it out. :D
    I have lived with it for so long it is like a friend warning me to stop for a moment and do some thing else. :D So I'll go over and do arm work on the speed bag and take the weight off a little, and then do some knee lifts and then go back to light running and jumping and start all over again when it starts cramping.

The inside and outside weight shift makes sense also, you kind of end up doing that as a self preservation, to continue on with the pain, when running.
    Heavy zig zag running, and dead lifts seem to get it cramping very quick.

Gary

9. medical 2933

medical 2933 Banned Banned

REGULAR Knee Pain Wrap
    This tube wrap pulls on over your foot up to your knee. This can also be used as a Regular Leg Warmer or Shin Wrap. To use this wrap, the circumference of your leg at both the knee cap and calf should be 12-to-18 inches.