some Xing yi ...

Discussion in 'Internal Martial Arts' started by middleway, May 16, 2006.

1. middleway

middleway Valued Member

2. Taiji Butterfly

Taiji Butterfly Banned Banned

Nice moves Chris - wish there was a xingyi class near me... :cry:

3. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

I'd echo the Butterfly's sentiment. Very nice clip indeed. Cheers.

4. Taiji Butterfly

Taiji Butterfly Banned Banned

So is it the timing that makes the moves so seemingly effective or is it the focussed intent...?
    (I suspect its a bit of both :cool: )
    :Angel:

5. middleway

middleway Valued Member

hi TJB,

It is a bit of both you are right. Dragon has a very strong overwhelming intent powering its movement.

In addition, especially with these apps, you grab the opponents face. This makes them have a strong defencing reaction, then you manipulate the spine and they fall fast and hard. Dragon is fun !! ;) :D

cheers
    Chris

6. RevIV

RevIV Valued Member

Middleway,

I am interested in xing yi mainly because i have recently been in contact with a Master of xing yi from Japan. My instructor is friends with him and while he has been over in Japan my instructor taught some of his students. Now i am going to Japan in Sept. And this Master - Master Kohno - called me last week (from Japan) and asked if he could teach me privately when i get there, out of respect to my teacher because he had taught his students. http://www13.plala.or.jp/gisei/ . This is a simple page i found on him and his teacher -- but i would like some more insights from a student instead of only research on the web.
    In Peace
    Jesse

7. piratebrido

piratebrido internet tough guy

He calls Tai Chi 'Tai Qi'

!!

8. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

9. daftyman

daftyman A 4oz can of whoop-ass!

tai ji is the pinyin translation of T'ai Chi

tai qi? supreme chi? Just a mistake, hopefully his art/skill isn't one too.

Wang Shu Jin was pretty good, I remember reading a story of Donn Draeger waking up in a house in japan feeling the building shake. It was Wang thumping one of the support piles!

10. middleway

middleway Valued Member

RevIV,

I would say go for it. Wang Shu Jin was a great master. Of course this doesnt mean that this guy is ... but you have nothing to loose by going to see what he has. Wang famously didnt teach in a very structured or cohierant way alot of the time so few 'got it' from him.

It should be immediately obvious if this guy has deep xing yi skill. When he comes at you, you should feel that you would be unable to stop him no matter what you did ... His intent should burn through you like a tangable attack. (sounds tree hugger hippy i know ... but this is the best way i can discribe it! ;) )

another man to look up in Japan is Master Su Dong Chen. He is simply an internal arts Genius and his Xing Yi is very refined.

happy training and have a great trip.

Chris

11. RevIV

RevIV Valued Member

to knock a man for the way he spells it in his third or 4th language.thats just reaching..(ok this is where the interenet does not allow for a sarcasm meter. so in fairness and not knowing brido - i apologize up front if you were not taking a stab and actually prefer Tai Qi). when i was doing my studies in Shiatsu (great now im not sure if i spelled that right) depending on the author it was spelled both ways. I know he studied with Wang Shu Jin for 20 years. I was told that Master Kohno was good from people who would know and who would tell the truth so that is not the question. All my time in the martial arts i have never studied or read about Xing Yi. Only recently (2 weeks) have I dug into it. I noticed on some sites that they refered to the Nurture and Control Diagrams with - wood - fire - water - metal - earth.. Which really got my interests peeked because we used the same charts in Shiatsu.
    Jesse

12. middleway

middleway Valued Member

13. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Thanks for sharing mate. Like the apps.

regards