some takedowns n stuff!

Discussion in 'Internal Martial Arts' started by middleway, Mar 14, 2007.

1. middleway

middleway Valued Member

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E41ggg8-YD8"]YouTube[/ame]

Comments welcomed as always.

regards
    Chris

2. tpyeon

tpyeon Valued Member

good stuff, looks very similar to the applications my teacher does. always like attacking the lead legs knee; we always train with this intention of controlling the knee too.

kind regards,

timo

3. Taiji Butterfly

Taiji Butterfly Banned Banned

Nice clip Chris - as usual, you rock! :cool:

4. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Cool, enjoyed that! :)

5. middleway

middleway Valued Member

ha ha ha .... hmmmm ...not sure about that!

these are nice ideas to play with.

Changing levels really plays with the opponents mind! Maybe give it a go, change from high to low, low to high, standing to ground etc.

Also controling that front knee or leg is a great way to break structure, hooking the leg, agulation of force against the joint etc!

hope people get some training ideas from these clips! they aint just for my massive ego! :D :Angel: ..... although thats why i mainly put them up!! ha ha ha :eek:

happy training all!

Chris

6. Visage

Visage Banned Banned

Good job Chris! Scary as heck as usual :D

Thanks for posting!

James

7. Cuchulain4

Cuchulain4 Valued Member

some of them looked pretty good, i think takedowns work much better from a closer range though.

8. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Interesting.
    Just out of curiosity...
    Have you ever trained those same takedowns against a non-compliant opponent or at realtime speeds? :confused:

What system/style do you train in? :confused:

9. middleway

middleway Valued Member

slipthejab,

Sure, i worked the doors for years so have some good experience on working similar things in the real world. Also i have had a few boxers and MMA people in my class over the years so have had good opportunity to test.

Also we often train in class at full speed. This was just a demo of some ideas as can be seen .. not a fight a match etc.

The stuff i train comes from nei jia mainly ... also stuff from Ju Jutsu and Judo that i trained for years in. Its really my own thing now... i wouldnt call it any of the above.

cheers
    chris

10. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Ok. Interesting.
    Yeah at full speed they wouldn't be nearly as interesting to watch.

The shoot style takedowns at 40 sec. would lend themselves real well to taking someones back - reminds me of some of the shoots in Greco-Roman and maybe in BJJ. Nice.

11. middleway

middleway Valued Member

For sure, i have seenthis sort of thing in some MMA matches where they miss the single leg and end up rotating to the rear.

the interesting thing with that one is what you cant really see in the clip. Its a grab to the tendon / muscle on this inside of the leg just above the knee joint ... really takes the fight out of the guy!! :D

cheers
    Chris

Last edited: Mar 14, 2007
  12. hanakuso

hanakuso Banned Banned

There is no leg shot that should remind you of Greco.

13. hanakuso

hanakuso Banned Banned

14. liokault

liokault Banned Banned

I saw 3 things there that I almost like.

I gotta find me some of them guys who are so tired after throwing a punch that they freeze then fall over. Do you ask for volunteers at conventions for asthmatics? (JK :D , just a demo, not sparring etc etc..)

15. jkzorya

jkzorya Moved on by request

Hi liokault - what are you driving at? :)

16. liokault

liokault Banned Banned

Its an old conversation that we have had before, my dislike of the old "you step, punch and stand still, arm out while I do really cool stuff, like this wacky elbow, then I step over here and slap this, steedy dont move yet, I now move over here and finish with a take down".

17. jkzorya

jkzorya Moved on by request

Oh right. Fair enough. I thought you were having a go at me.

18. liokault

liokault Banned Banned

How could you interpret it as a dig at you? At the point of my post you had not posted on this thread :confused:

19. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Moved on

roflmao

I think maybe jkz is after having a bit of a scrap with you...........MAP has been quite happy and jolly lately....HAHA :D

20. Jaae

Jaae Valued Member

It was a demo !!! It was a fair question by Slipthejab, whether it was practised at full speed and against a non - compliant adversary, and it was satisfactorily answered, the guy in question teaching the stuff, does train in that manner - at some point. After a lifetime in Karate and Jujutsu, for the last few years I have been training like a mad dog possessed, in Grappling and Taiji, by some of the top guys, ( In Coventry ).The grappling is awesome, but initial drills are soft and relaxed, especially when drilling / practising grip fighting, floating, posting, takedowns and positioning and of course, in the sparring class, the idea is to keep the ' shapes ', acquire the timing and work the techniques drilled, against an opponent who is non - compliant and whose aim is the same as yours, i.e, gaining a dominant position, barr or choke.

The funny thing is, if the Taiji I study, ( or the Karate or Jujutsu ), is tweaked and approached from a ' grappler's ' perspective, most of it can work. As my coach says, ' position, position, submission ', BUT you NEED the sparring and I don't mean one or three step..........

Jaae