Some Sparring

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by Pretty In Pink, Jan 1, 2015.

1. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Chadderz - where's the freaking pictures of your two MMA bouts? I thought everything got moved to the Competitor's Corner.

I was gonna post a couple of pics showing you working over a couple of big-lads with obvious bad intent...

But you get my point. :)

2. puma

puma Valued Member

Just been told Steve Morris has not got any sort of professional fighting record. Just answering my own question. Don't know if I'm right though.

3. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

He doesn't as far as I know. Doesn't define you as a good or bad martial artist either way.

4. puma

puma Valued Member

Never said it did. Although I do believe you should have some experience of what you teach. Especially in combat sports.

5. bodyshot

bodyshot Brown Belt Zanshin Karate

This is very sound advice iceman, but... Chad, its alright to drop a hand if its to gain a better point of origin for a strike, let's say like a big hay maker or hook. Do not drop your hand and let it just dangle there like a purse or something. You gotta hide the drop with a jab, you drop the rear hand at the same time you land the jab, lunge into the haymaker a bit, BOOM you'll be knock in dudes out brother.:woo:

This technique is sometimes called dropping the boom or getting the drop on someone, you gotta watch out for it too though.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2015
  6. Matt F

Matt F Valued Member

I wouldn't worry, Steve has plenty of experience of fights and violent encounters and 50 years plus experience of training,doing and researching how to fight and deal with violence.

7. Indie12

Indie12 Valued Member

Feinting and infighting skills work pretty good for getting in-close.

8. puma

puma Valued Member

All the video's I've seen he is teaching MMA though. That's a sport, not real life violence.

9. Matt F

Matt F Valued Member

It's MMA/NHB based and sport based on a fundamental movement level but is applicable in any area a person wishes to take it. I guess it depends on which side of the fence you sit in the sport v realism debate. Violence is violence full stop. MMA guys do actually try to knock or submit each other with intent. In fact I've seen some realy namby pamby stuff in what might be classed as real situations and seen more violent intent from fighters like Fedor, Jose Aldo or Wanderlei Silva. I'd be worried for the other guy if the ref wasn't there to pull them off or stop them kicking them in the head, for example.

10. puma

puma Valued Member

True, but violence doesn't have a ref saying,"Ready?" I do get your point though, but I think if I wanted to be an MMA fighter I would go to a coach with a proven record, not necessarily his own, but of students/fighters he has that have achieved big things. A lot of people can talk about it!

11. Matt F

Matt F Valued Member

Fair point but it would be detrimental to oneself to ONLY train in places that have big names or some x factor type reputation. Many gyms and instructors are not big names but offer great training.
    Also it's worth analysing what actually happens ....fighters get good in gyms and have fights then they move to more well known gyms and trainers then that gym or trainer gets the reputation and,yes, offers that bit extra maybe. But the potential and beginnings are in the small unknown gyms. And does every fighter become great at these gyms? No. Who gets the blame for losses or lack of form? Not the gym or trainer ....but they get the praise when it's going well.
    So,for me, it's not as simple as big gym with big names equals amazing training over everything else.
    And for the record Steve has trained guys and done sessions at London fight factory and Wolslair and other MMA gyms around the country ...not having a full time gym to offer full time trAining....has trained world level ranked kickboxing, Thai boxer's and other pro fighters in his time. A top coach.

12. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

Or how about use your footwork, pivots, and shoulder / weight dropping to get the better angles so that you can keep your guard up?

Good fighters will be looking to slip or parry jabs and crosses so trying to use that to hide poor guard isn't the best idea, especially when an avid corner team is looking for a hole to exploit.

Keep it simple and perfect the basics.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
  13. puma

puma Valued Member

I didn't realise he had champs. Who'd he train out of interest?

14. icefield

icefield Valued Member

It doesnt have to be a well known gym that produces a UFC ranked fighter, but if a gym teachs MMA but doesnt have any guys who have won an amateur comp or titlebelt, or dosnt have a good fight record on local shows with way more wins than loses, why would anyone train there? or accept that the coach is good its just he never had the right material to produce a good fighter?

15. icefield

icefield Valued Member

the bold bit is again great advice, especially if boxing isnt your end game and you dont have the time and effort to put in to master all the little tricks, get the basics down pat and remember in the end you are going to be competing with 4oz gloves so please keep your guard up !

16. Matt F

Matt F Valued Member

As a general point, I agree.
    In reference to Steve its irrelevant because he does not have a full time gym.

At the end of the day if trAining with someone gets you better and what they give you works the environment you want it to, then its sound training. Being a big name, big gyms, wearing the right gear, having the latest equipment....It's irrelevant and its for the x factor sheep. I personally would rule out no one ,if it actually works.

17. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Maybe I didn't explain my point properly, if someone's teaching mma they should be able to produce fighters who compete at the appropriate level for the gym and do so well, otherwise no matter what the skills of the coach are his ability to teach must be questioned, its not a matter of being a sheep it's about not having the wool pulled over your eyes.

It doesn't have to be a fancy full time gym, but if he teaches boxing kickboxing or mma and doesn't have guys competing and doing well, that should set alarm bells off
    For example I know a coach who cornered several guys in pride, and produced guys who did well in both pro and amateur mma, and who prepared guys for their ufc fights, all before he had his own full time gym whilst teaching three days a week out of the top floor of a karate dojo. Before this he taught twice a week out of a uni club and still had guys medalling at ever amateur comp they entered

18. Matt F

Matt F Valued Member

He has taught at MMA gyms and done privates with pro fighters like I said at the gyms I said and others . If they book him, he goes. So in to respect to that, their are no alarm bells.

19. Matt F

Matt F Valued Member

When he did have a full time gym in the 70s the top guy was Vince jaunsey who is now a coach in Canada and was a British and world champion in kickboxing and Thai boxing and I think he ran cobra gym later on ,a respected gym and he was well known on the scene....he brought ronnie green to the gym a couple of times who said the training of Steve's was ahead of its time. Other British champs and Hong Kong champs came out of that gym too. Pat o Keef, respected kickboxing and coach trained their. Countless visitors came. There was an open challenge in black belt magazine all through its existence ....come train or fight. No rules. Lots did.
    Later on Floyd Brown trained at his home gym.....he won British kickboxing titles was world ranked I think....won early NHB world titles somewhere.
    Done sessions with gyms like wolfslair and London fight factory....there fighters have won stuff. Adam Parkes won fighter of the year I think at some point....he had private sessions.
    Once during a pro fighter session in early 2000s at age 63 or so had an alteration with the then top British MMA middleweight, and by all accounts easily dealt with them.

The problem is...when stuff like this gets said,there's still negative connotations like"" it's easy to be world champ in the 70s "" or British MMA fighters were poor then.....and it's from those that don't actually try the training or likely will.....never those that have.
    Go figure.

20. puma

puma Valued Member

Well, people will always criticise, no matter how good you are. In fact, the better you are, the more jealousy, the more criticism.

For what it's worth, it is probably easier now to be a world champ than at any time. I must know about 300! There is even a "WC" boxer near me, but it is unlicensed of course!