Some Silat Vid Clips...

Discussion in 'Silat' started by SilatSeeker, Apr 14, 2005.

1. SilatSeeker

SilatSeeker Valued Member

Here are some Silat moves on video. The instructor is Art Rhemrev. He is currently in his mid-70's. His art is Silat Sikap Baru. It has heavy influence from Cimande. Were working on getting his site up - so these will have to do for now.

http://homepage.mac.com/robertstover/thumbjitsu/

Enjoy.

2. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

The second clip - knee to neck - didn't work for me for some reason. Nice clips, though.

Mike

3. tellner

tellner Valued Member

Wow. He's certainly durable. Guru Rhemrev was one of my guru's first teachers.

4. SilatSeeker

Tellner, Yea, he's got a secret "longevity Lankah" :) For just $19.95 (plus shipping and handling) you too can own this secret of how to kick @$$ in your mid 70"s.

By the way, who's your teacher? Yes, Art was one of the first Indo's to teach in the US - along with Jim Ingram, the De-thours, William Reeder and Willy Wetzle.

Mike,

Yea, not everything works for everyone. I think you may have liked it a bit better if he wasn't teaching in slow motion, but instead cranked the neck down faster and lower before kneeing it. Perhaps it was the distance and time of the knee travel that's pinging your combat radar? He does the same movement but instead of kneeing the neck, he knees the low spine - then stomps down on the knee from the back. Or a variation where he pops the throat and pushes the head back, then goes behind them in a reverse guiotine/puter kepala. etc. etc. :)

Anyways, I love seeing variations on movement by different silat players. Very instructive. Some silat's do things that we don't because of a rule or principle in our style. But then we do things that they wouldn't because of a different combat rational. There's more to learn than I have years.

If you all have questions on a move or combat problem, ask. I'll pass it along to Guru Art and maybe he'll let me video the answer. Could be fun. I'll see if he'll go for it.

I'd love to see your clips on how you would execute some of the different applications. (mike didn't you post some clips of sweeps on your site?)

Robert

5. tellner

tellner Valued Member

I just had a horrible thought - a pendekar with Alzheimer's. Imagine being that person's caregiver :eek:

Stevan Plinck.

6. SilatSeeker

I've heard great things about Steve. I've also heard the video he sells on his site is very good. I should probably quite procrastinating and purchase it. He lives somewhere up in the Northwest now, doesn't he?

7. tellner

tellner Valued Member

He really is an exceptional martial artist and a better teacher. Guru Plinck has been in the Portland/Vancouver area for about twelve years and teaches out of his shop in Southwest Washington.

There are two videos, actually. The first one is available through e-merchandise
    The second one will be, but it's best to get in touch with him personally. Contact me offline for contact info. It's not very fancy. Just basics and principles off of the first juru. The second one continues with stuff from the second juru and a few supplementary exercises. There should be more tapes Real Soon Now(tm).