Some Shadow Boxing/Bag work

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Pretty In Pink, Jan 30, 2018.

1. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Just going to post every now and again. Critique welcomed by all:

2. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Nice

How about the odd pivot to adjust your orientation.
    If you've not drilled it it's just a small turn on your front toes to the direction you want to to face and simply drag the back foot to where it needs to be.

Pretty In Pink and axelb like this.
  3. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

You look nice and relaxed, fluid. A good combination of attack and defense.
    I like @cloudz advice, practise little pivots as well as big ones, helps get used to creating angles for opening.

Pretty In Pink likes this.
  4. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

I liked it! You could see what you visualising and everything looked controlled and fluid. Your knees were long and balanced. Air kicking was smooth (something I definitely need to work on). Looked tight.

5. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Yeah loved the knees. I think you should have a look at, and become, the next Dieselnoi. :)

6. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Wow man, comparing your posture there with that old video of you and your brother playing around at sparring... night and day.

Beautiful stuff, you could really see your opponent throughout a lot of it.

7. Pretty In Pink

Cheers guys, I'll let have it addressed by next video hopefully.

8. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

When you throw your rights, you flex your spine to the left. May be bleeding power through there. Get dem right obliques into it for max violent goodness.

Grond likes this.
  9. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Nice work man. All I'd say is try to emphase hip internal rotation in the striking limb when doing your high round kick (think 'more hip turnover'). It will allow you to hit with more of the tibial surface than the medial calf musculature (harder striking point), and you will drive more energy in to the target rather than upwards (as happens when the kicking leg's hip is more externally rotated). If you have trouble internally rotating your hip, invest some time each day doing stretches for your outer thighs & hips.

10. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

On an alternative perspective: it does get the head offline for incoming straight fire.

11. Pretty In Pink

Fairly happy with this. Surprisingly looks way better when you punch to the height your supposed to. When I'm punching my eye level it feels like I'm punching way high up. Very odd feeling and it reminds me how tall I am.

Grond, Jaydub, Van Zandt and 4 others like this.
  12. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Youre like Forrest Griffin Jr but with more technique :D

13. Grond

Grond Valued Member

With all due respect, that's probably because you keep dropping your hands a lot before firing and they do appear to be barely level. Your strongest punches come from the shoulder and yours are nice and strong, but that also usually means your fists aren't high enough to protect your head. If you keep your guard up and tight, your punches will feel more level, if slightly weaker until you're really good at keeping your guard up, then it will get easier.. I am probably exhibiting a boxer's bias, maybe there's some reason you keep lowering your hands. At 0:05-0:06 your drop your hands to your waist. In my opinion, the guys that hit the bag hardest also tend to be the ones who get popped the easiest because they're so used to smashing heavy bags while not protecting the crown jewels :) Here's a useful thing to do, watch your video again but use your own face as a guide or measurement stick and you'll notice a lot of your shots would be neck shots to somebody your height. With a higher guard most of your hits would be square between the eyes and both temples. Another great and stupidly obvious sounding but useful tip I was once given: just mark the bag with your height (or higher/lower if you know your opponent's height) with tape. It really does help having something on the bag itself to aim for. I know a guy who taped a smiley troll face on the bag. That was classic.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
  14. Pretty In Pink

Yeah my hands are definitely a bit low. I am definitely dropping them after combinations, although I was aware of it (because I was tired). The reason I normally punch down is because I'm so tall! It's hard to see in the video but I'm 6ft 2"! I definitely think some tape would help out, I'll do that next time! :)

15. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

I was going to say...it's rare that someone your height will also be your weight. The recent UFC fighter Marisharipov (or whatever) seems to match you're height and shape.

16. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

When throwing kicks during shadowboxing try not to spin around 360 degrees. Try and get in the habit of throwing your kick but staying facing your opponent. Your hips will turn over almost 180 degrees but the rest of your body shouldn't turn over too much. This allows you to pull the kicking leg back to block faster and helps keep your vision focused on the most important thing. Your opponent.

Also try not to cross your legs over. If you move to the right then lead with your right foot and bring the left up after it, follow this pattern for movement whether moving forwards, backwards or side to side. This will decrease the chance of you getting caught off balance by a strong kicker or sweeper.

17. Grond

Grond Valued Member

My personal rule of thumb, dispose of it as ye may, is that until you're really good, at least always guard your chin, even when smashing the bag. Note that in this chap's guards (Cornelius Carr's ahem) the common denominator is one fist at least jaw level or higher. When you're amazing and audacious like Floyd Mayweather you can drop into the Philly Shell but even then, get comfortable punching from your chin. :)

Top 5 Boxing Guards You Need To Learn
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
  18. Pretty In Pink