Some of My Stuff

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Pretty In Pink, Jun 14, 2016.

1. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

https://soundcloud.com/thomashepburn/voice-016

Wrote this one a while ago too, I'm really not much of a singer/musician, but I like writing:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qifoSBsOIFY"]Eternal Trip - YouTube[/ame]

Criticism very welcome.

2. flaming

flaming Valued Member

Maybe sing with more confidence in your voice. Perhaps try to make your voice deeper if you can you would probably have to get voice coaching.

In yoga we are told to practice, giant tortoise breathes it involves holding some tension in your throat. I try to do it when I talk to make my voice sound deeper as it is more attractive to women apparently.

You can see it in the stags when they make there rutting calls. I think I remember from my time studying zoology and animal behaviour that the stags make there voice 'grunts' deeper to attract mates. Which hopefully results in the avoidance of an actual fight.

If the stags just had a fight all the time as a species they would not last very long.

3. flaming

flaming Valued Member

I'm going to try and tickle the ivories.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2016
  4. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

I'm working with a guy who is a singing teacher and done a whole lot of musicals and stuff like that, he's a bit of a big name in that world.

I can show him the video and see what he says..if you want?

5. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Cool, you've got some good ideas in there, particularly in your soundcloud one.

First tip: change your chords up for the chorus so it feels different from the verse.

Your singing can be pretty off, but I can hear from your soundcloud tune that you are able to sustain a note in tune so the good news is that it is just your ear that needs a bit of tuning (which is already miles ahead of me - I can hear pitch fine, I just can't make it come out of my mouth :) ).

So here's something you can do that will improve both your singing and your guitar playing:

Work out your vocal melody on the guitar. Record your chords to sing along to while playing your vocal melody on the guitar at the same time. With practice this will give you a reference and make you much more confident about what notes you are going for when you sing your songs.

Lastly, really try to learn your lyrics. Singing is a performance you want to hear coming from the heart. You can't really put your soul into it of you are reading your lyrics from a sheet (unless you are at super-pro level).

I'd definitely say you've got the potential to write some compelling songs though, there's already some nice touches in there :)

Also, your sense of rhythm is pretty strong, both in your guitar playing and your singing, which is something that can take a long time to get, particularly getting interesting rhythms for vocal phrasing, so good job on that :)

Last edited: Jul 12, 2016
  6. Pretty In Pink

I'd actually be ashamed if anyone of high repute listened to this tbh :p I'll take any advice I can get though.

7. Pretty In Pink

My brother can actually sing quite well, but he doesn't like to. He also has impeccable rythm because of his drumming skills. I'm actually jealous of him. He's just not great at writing songs.

As it is I'm comfortable with writing and shaky at everything else. Extremely shaky in fact! Your advice sounds excellent and I will definitely take it to heart. Thanks David :D

8. flaming

flaming Valued Member

I've yet to set up the keyboard. But does anyone have tips for learning?

Should I pay for lessons?

9. flaming

flaming Valued Member

Does anyone know any good books or websites for learning the piano?

Just to save me some google-time.

10. flaming

flaming Valued Member

The keyboard I have is a Yamaha PSR -170. I might buy a cheap stand piano because I feel a keyboard has no soul. (I know that sounds weird/hipster/sentimentalist). I'll see how far I get and if I like playing the keyboard before buying a piano though.

I've tried writing songs but every other word is an expletive (I don't know if it's good for me). And it would reveal too much about my life if I ever released them on youtube or soundcloud or whatever.