Some Kung Fu questions

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by Fluidz, Feb 2, 2011.

1. Fluidz

Fluidz New Member

Hey guys,

I just think I should give the whole reason why I am here to clarify some things and what I would like, to put it that way, from this thread and forum :D

Well I have always had a thing for Asian culture, Japanese, Chinese the whole deal.

I was watching Karate Kid last night and that ticked it over for me, I then decided I wanted to learn a martial art. I was pondering on Ninjitsu for a while before that time, but the only Bujinkan Dojos in Perth, Australia are miles away from where I live and impossible to get to inside of my school timetable easily.

I was wondering how I should go about finding a style of Kung Fu or if I should even worry about that to begin with? I have read a few threads in this Kung Fu board and I am still unsure on how you learn Kung Fu.

Do you learn basics and then pick a specific style once that is done, or do you pick a style from the beginning? Will the instructor help with this? I have read the styles thread and the how-to-pick-a-good-kung-fu-school thread as well.

Also, does anyone know of any good Kung Fu schools in Perth, Western Australia?

This school is close to my home (20 minute walk), so does anyone know any details on it? Otherwise I will query based on the 'finding a kung fu school' thread.

I am 16 and have a very good work ethic, while I can appreciate that no one knows me and my reason for finally doing something about learning martial arts maybe a little iffy please take me seriously.

Thanks for any help,

Jordan

Last edited: Feb 2, 2011
  2. Metal_Kitty

Metal_Kitty Valued Member

Hey....

Hope you don't mind me asking some questions.....

How much do you know about martial arts? Ninjutsu and Kung Fu in particular. You seem fairly new to the world of martial arts (I could be wrong)...so what do you know about ninjutsu that makes you want specifically a bujinkan school?

And probably most importantly, what are you looking for in terms of training. You like Asian culure, so I assume you're looking for a cultural experience. But what in terms of fitness, fighting/sparring, self-defense, weaponry, specific skills...etc. What do you want to achieve?

3. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

Gary, is there Buk Sing in Perth?

4. Fluidz

Fluidz New Member

I am new yes.

I know very little. Just what I read off of Wikipedia, and a few other websites. Nothing extensive. I take it Bujinkan is something very specific, so I didn't know that :S I thought it was a style that is taught from my understand of how it was explained on Wikipedia.

In terms of training I am looking for these things;

• Self discipline
    • Self defense
    • Fitness
    • Culture

I believe Kung Fu, and others, will provide this. But the others I am not interested in currently.

I want to become a person who is very self reliant, self disciplined and good in terms of defense. I am the kind of person who will help someone getting bashed, but I currently cannot. While that is a reason for learning martial arts it is not the primary. I would like skills in weaponry also.

My ultimate goal is to become a master in a martial art.

Specific skills I know little on since I am new :S

5. Metal_Kitty

Infraz, I think there is a Buk Sing school in Perth, seeing as the first Lacey school in Aus was in Perth...I'd imagine it would still be around.

On the other hand, Fluidz is 16 with no previous MA experience. I would not throw him in the deep end with a Buk Sing school. Particularly if he wants more of the self-discipline and culture side of things. Being that young, I'd recommend starting off in a light/no contact school that focuses on forms and stances to build his strength and posture, and then maybe when he's older and wants something more (to put it bluntly) violent, he can move on from there. I'd suggest building the foundations first.

Fluidz, I study in a non-bujinkan ninjutsu school (I study kung fu as well). Bujinkan is an organization linked to a particular lineage of ninjutsu from Japan, lead by the grandmaster (soke) Hatsumi. They have a particular way of doing things, but is by no means the only legitimate branch of ninjutsu (although some of its members would argue that). There are other branches, such as Genbukan and Jinenkan, and independent schools. They are, of course, all linked back to Japan in some way, and the ones that don't usuallly are frauds. This is a huge topic if you really wanna get into it, and I'm not the best person to ask. And being new, I would NOT suggest you read the ninjutsu forum....it'll only confuse you.

6. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

*wonders how long until kitty and infra realize that the link in the OP is a buk sing school from a student of vince lacey*

7. tonyv107

tonyv107 Valued Member

Forms and no contact does NOTHING for self defense. And regardless of age it is really up to him how muh contact he is willing to take.

8. LCC

LCC Valued Member

Look at this site for links to a number of KF schools in WA: http://www.hotfrog.com.au/Products/Kung-Fu/WA

Don't know bout the schools in Perth except the Malcolm Sue Tong Long (southern mantis school). Technically it was a pretty decent school when it was here in Brisbane. They did a lot of full contact sparring and I know for a fact their system was quite street effective.

9. Metal_Kitty

Yeah, I know what you mean...

But a person's first MA experience doesn't necessarily need to be that "full on". Honestly, if I no previous experience in MA, I would be in utter shock in my first Buk Sing class. People who aren't used to full contact may be scared away by it. But I guess it also depends on how fast the teacher moves...whether they gradually build you up or throw you straight in. I think for a person with no MA experience, doing a light contact kung fu style is a great introduction into the world of kung fu and MA, and provides a good base to build on.

Ninjutsu is a little different though.

10. tonyv107

tonyv107 Valued Member

I see what you mean. I don't think most places allow full contact sparring for a few months. I'll be starting Muay Thai next week and my friend who trains there said most folks usually aren't given permission to spar for atleast 3 months. That gives ample time to learn form/technique and even fitness. What Metal Kitt suggests is a good idea. Though I believe that even a full contact school will ease him into sparring.

Goodluck with the search Fluidz

11. Chris Parker

Chris Parker Valued Member

Hi Jordan,

The Bujinkan is an oganisation teaching Ninjutsu and Bujutsu (Japanese Martial Arts) from a range of lineages. There are some schools in Perth with a very good reputation, so if it becomes a possibility in the future, certainly check it out. I will say, though, that it is not the same as training in Traditional Japanese Martial Arts, but then again, it's not designed to. The Bujinkan teaches a system known as Budo Taijutsu, which is the creation of Hatsumi Sensei (the head of the Bujinkan, and inheritor of 9 Traditional systems that make up the technical curriculum of the Bujinkan system), and is focused on skills of movement expressed through the techniques more than anything else.

In Perth one of my first choices for Traditional arts would be the Keishinkan, which is under the direction of Katie Noad. There they teach Tomiki Aikido (known for it's focus on knife and competitive training methods) and Tenshinsho Den Katori Shinto Ryu. If you're after weaponry skills, it will be difficult to find a system with more respect and prestige. But it will not really be in any way applicable to self defence, honestly. That's where the Aikido can come in, or another system you may train in (such as the Buk Sing school you have found). The Keishinkan's website is: http://www.keishinkan.net/KEISHINKAN/Home.html

12. Metal_Kitty

In both my kickboxing and CLF experience, I sparred in my first class. Difference is...Kickboxing: light contact spar with another new girl. CLF: full contact spar with the instructor. LOL

Good luck with your muay thai...I considered that before deciding on CLF.

13. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

Hi Fluidz;

the link you mentioned is a teacher from my Sibak's (kung fu "uncle") lineage. Actually he learned directly from my Sibak I believe.

You will be in good hands.

14. GSHAMBROOKE

GSHAMBROOKE Thats Tarm Sarm

15. Fluidz

Fluidz New Member

I am willing to do full contact as a beginner. I have been hit before :S

So, should I go with the school I posted? Or is that something entirely different being Buk Sing..?

Or should I pick from the list LCC posted; http://www.hotfrog.com.au/Products/Kung-Fu/WA

If so, which one?

16. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

Fluidz, go with Gary's recommendation.

He's pretty high up on the Buk Sing food chain, so to speak, and he knows "what's what," all things considered.

This is the style of kung fu you want to go for if you want to learn more of the combative side, less the "esoteric crap" as I like to call it. Buk Sing is about as traditional as you're gonna get. Traditional being... train hard, train realistically, and get achievable, measurable results.

17. Fluidz

Fluidz New Member

I will look at ways of getting to Vincent's, if I cannot is this one still fine?

http://chinesekungfu.com.au/

Last edited: Feb 3, 2011
  18. LCC

LCC Valued Member

You've been given the links and advise. Best thing to do now is attend some classes and see for yourself which one's you like.