Some good Thai shorts..

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by Anarch, Apr 12, 2012.

1. Anarch

Anarch Valued Member

I'm 6'3, soon to be 160 lbs (got a lot of weight to put back on). I have a pair of Fairtex and Twins shorts but the twins are extremely small and the Fairtex are too clunky partly because of the logo embroidery in the front. I need to find some decent shorts that are worth the price. I know Fairtex tend to be a bit larger than other brands but I wanna try something new.

I was checking these out but from what I read, they limit mobility too much.

Any suggestions? What do you prefer and if you're taller, what brand seems to fit you better?

2. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

It really makes very little difference. Seriously. I'll often show up to train in whatever shorts I had in my bag. Sometimes they're name brand shorts like Sprawl or whatever and other times it's a threadbare pair of cheapo nylon muay thai shorts I bought years ago at a supermarket in Thailand.

None of them make any difference in training. Not one single bit. Fashion wise yes... but is that really what you're their to train for? Man most of the gyms in Thailand have guys running around in a sun faded pair of nylon shorts that are older than they are and were hand me downs from an older brother or stable mate. We'd always chuckle at the tourists in their stupidly expensive shiny shorts who would train once a day for three days and then give up. Not what Muay Thai is about.

Get a pair.. any pair... and train.

Nuf said.

3. shootodog

shootodog restless native

i love those el cheapo nylon (faux silk) market thai shorts. my fave was a fuscia with a scorpion on the front. now i can't fit in any thai made ones.

4. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

What Slip said. I got 3 pairs of unbranded Nylon Muay Thai shorts and thats basically it, not even from Thailand I got them from my neaby MA shop (Playwell)

Theyve lasted me about 8yrs so far.

5. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

I prefer a good pair of jorts.

[​IMG]

In all seriousness, Slip is right. Who cares? Wear whatever shorts you have available.

6. Anarch

Anarch Valued Member

No, it's not about fashion. I wouldn't mind cheap nylon shorts. I'm simply looking for something that I CAN train in. Not sure why but the Fairtex shorts just seem to distract me because of all the embroidery work and if anything, they're almost too fancy. As for the twins, they're extremely short and also distracting with the embroidery. Obviously, Thai shorts are short... but these are too too small.

7. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Get MMA shorts then, the don't restrict movement at all. I bought some cheap TapouT ones and they are fine for everything. :/

8. Teflon

Teflon Valued Member

I just use the gym-branded ones that I got when I started, or my knackered 10 year old football shorts if those are in the wash.

9. shootodog

work in speedos! yeah!

10. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

I can't stand nylon shorts, they stick to you when you sweat and give me rashes. It doesn't allow your skin to breath.

In saying that, I found a company which makes some of what I consider to be the most comfy Muay Thai shorts (with plenty of leg room) that I've worn (good for people like me with skin allergies). Good price, great visual designs and range in sizes between S to 6L (they even do custom sizing and custom designs). http://www.muaythaistuff.com/tuff.php

Their homepage features discounted products - http://www.tuffboxing.com/

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEur33bHDtI"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEur33bHDtI[/ame]

11. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I've heard (and made) a few criticisms of Thai shorts but a lack of leg room has never been one of them. :)

12. shootodog

mr. lightning's training shorts

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfZdvI5HNGI&feature=related"]"Lerdsila" Ring of Kings Extra - YouTube[/ame]

13. Anarch

Anarch Valued Member

Just ordered a pair of Tuff shorts because of the simplicity and hopefully the sizing is alright. Hope they work out.

14. daggers

daggers Valued Member

its all about how you roll the shorts up! you really need to give yourself a wedgie with them lol

15. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

Providing that you followed the sizing guide, you'll most likely have no problems.

16. Anarch

Anarch Valued Member

I did... for the most part. I'm assuming they have a drawstring?

17. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

No, well not the pair I have.

18. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

I have two pairs of Blitzsport Thai shorts.

Yellow

[​IMG]

Green camoflague

[​IMG]

I think they're pretty good. Comfortable, roomy and allow for flexible leg movement.

They have a drawstring aswell for when I lose some weight (which will inevitably happen).

Bought both for £10 on Ebay, new and unused. Can't argue.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012