Some Constructive Feedback Please?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Jujy, Aug 14, 2006.

1. Jujy

Jujy New Member

Hey guys...I've been struggling to get a good routine going that would compliment my BJJ for the longest time. Before I started training BJJ a year and a half ago, I was pretty strong for my size; however, I lost a great deal of strength since then because I wasn't really working out at the gym with the intensity and focus that I used to (over training??) Anyways, I was thinking of trying out something new. Any comments on the routine below? I'm really looking forward to your feedback...Thanks!!

Day 1

Squats (all the way down)
    Leg Extensions
    Incline Bench Press (with dumbells)
    Chest Flyes
    Shoulder Press (with dumbells)
    Tricep Push Down
    Crunches

Day 2
    Deadlifts
    Bent Over Rows
    Chin Ups
    EZ Barbell Curls
    Leg Curls
    Calf Raises
    Crunches

Day 1 is on Sunday, Day 2 on Tuesday, Day 1 again on Thursday, Day 2 again on Sunday, etc.

The basic routine for each exercise is: warm up with 60% of working weight - 5X, then 80% of working weight - 8X, then 110% of working weight - 1X...then: as many reps as possible with the working weight (aiming for 6-8) until reaching muscular failure. And that's it...I move on to the next exercise. Also, please note that I rest 2 minutes between every set.

On Mondays, Wednesdays, and Saturdays I do sprints in the morning: run 100 metres, then walk 100 metres - 10 times.

Then, in the evening, I train BJJ for about 3 hours.

I'm eating like an animal and getting as much sleep as possible (wish I could have more though!)

So that's it guys...any feedback on this one? Thanks again...train hard!!! :woo:

2. cxw

cxw Valued Member

What do you mean by 110% of working weight? Normally percentages are based on 1 rep max, i.e a max effort is 100%.

Don't go muscular to failure, it normally takes more than it gives.

Get rid of the curls. And avoid leg extensions and leg curls - it's so unnatural to move the knee without moving the hip. For lower body accessory work consider lunges, step-ups and overhead squats.

Get rid of the flyes too. And are tricep push downs also an isolation excercise? If so, try dips instead.

With the squats are you doing olympic style (narrow stance). I think powerlifting style (very wide stance) is best, although you can't go all the way down.

Why are you doing crunches twice a week? Do you find them really hard? Are you weighting them?

I think you should pull and push both sessions.

Since your doing 3.5 sessions a week, how about

1)
    Squat
    Incline db press
    Bentover rows
    Weighted crunches

2)
    Deadlift
    Shoulder db press
    Chinups
    Dips

3. Jujy

Jujy New Member

CXW,
    sorry for the confusion...by 110% I just mean 110% of the weight I plan to go to failure on...so in other words, it's just one rep at a slighly higher weight. Also, the squats I'm doing are Olympic style.

I see what you've recommended and I like it...would you recommend that I do the exercises you've suggested with the warm up method I was talking about and with the 2 minutes of rest in between the sets?

4. cxw

cxw Valued Member

Thanks for the clarification.

Your warm up sets seem fine to me. 2 minutes seems fine for the rest period - you could spend forever on the internet trying to figure out the optimal rest period.

I don't like the always go to failure on the last set though. On t-nation.com there's an article called something like "Going to failure - the good, the bad and the ugly", go to t-nation and search for it.

5. Crimson_Stone

Crimson_Stone Stay Puft

I wouldn't adhere so hard and fast to the lifting routine. Not every BJJ class is the same are they?

You got a decent set x rep scheme, but let the actual exercises float a bit. Keep the base idea of each lift but alternate thru the variations.

Day 1
    Pullups (must've slipped your mind ;) )
    Squats (use Back, Front and Hack squats)
    Leg Extensions (use Lunges and StepUps)
    Incline Bench Press (flat, incline, decline, barbell, dumbbell)
    Chest Flyes(Dips you meant?)
    How about some Rowing action (cable, DB, BB rows)
    Shoulder Press (military, arnold, barbell, dumbell)
    Tricep Push Down (Dumbell Ext, Rope pulldowns, Skullcrushers)
    Crunches (Weight'em up. Reverse Crunches, Situps, CurlUps, V-Ups, or better yet train abs everyday in or around your BJJ class)

Day 2
    Deadlifts
    Bent Over Rows
    Chin Ups
    Leg Curls(Bulgarian Split Squat, or Step Back Lunges)
    Calf Raises (its ok to use the leg sled for these :cool: , DB, BB, unilateral versions are kool too.)
    Crunches (Put a heavy load on them. otherwise just do them at home.)
    EZ Barbell Curls (incline, hammer, alternating.....)

The idea is to hit each muscle group in a similar manner, but use slightly different exercises each time. For example the first DAY 1 routine you use BB back squats, the next DAY 1 routine use BB front squats, the third DAY 1 routine you do BB hack squats, and the fourth DAY 1 routine your back to BB back squats. Using this method and you could extend your routine 3-4 months and not get bored. I wouldn't lift to failure if I was lifting 3-4 times per week and doing 9+ hours of BJJ each week.

6. Jujy

Jujy New Member

Thanks guys...I really appreciate your feedback...tomorrow is Day 2 so I'll give it a shot!

7. Unisonus

Unisonus Bloody Rare, Please

Jujy,

If your primary goal is to strength train, then:

(1)Flyes, leg extensions, and curls do not yeild functional strength-gains.
    (2)Maximal gains in strength are effectuated by low-rep schemes with weight that approaches your one repition maximum.
    (3)Exercising to failure is unnecessary and might interfere with your BJJ training.

If you partake in BJJ training often, then my recommendation is as follows:

Day 1:

Squats 5X5
    Pull Ups 6x5
    Military Press 5X5
    Russian Twists (With a Heavy Medicine Ball or Dumb Bell).

Day 2:

Deadlifts 5X5
    Bent Rows 5X5
    Dips 5X5
    Contact Twists 4X8

8. Jujy

Jujy New Member

Unisonus,
    thanks for the tips! This is all very helpful!

9. Blake_AE

Blake_AE Valued Member

You didn't mention how long you've been lifting. If you have just started, it might not be wise to start with heavier weights used in a 5x5 scheme. Might be easier on the system to spend a few weeks working a 12-15 rep range with lighter weights just to condition the body to lifting and learn the proper form on the movements.

Otherwise, I personally favour the 4x6 set/rep scheme for time savings over 5x5 but they are very similar over all.

Also - be careful of dips. I sprained my AC joint in my shoulder doing them. I had ART treatment done by a sport-specific chiropodist and he said most lifting-related injuries he sees are shoulder joint problems and most of those injuries are caused either from benching or dips. His opinion (shared by many others) was that loading the shoulder joint when it is rotated backward like in a dip position is very hard on the joint conective tissue and stabilizers. Lots of people do them with no problems, but if you have poor posture or weak shoulders as I did, an injury is not uncommon.

Another potentially safer tricep exercise to replace dips is a bench lockout.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2006
  10. TheMachine

TheMachine Valued Member

Just remove all the single joint and machine movements and you'll be fine