solo training

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by ratman, Sep 30, 2003.

1. ratman

ratman Valued Member

Could anyone pls give me some tips on training at home within a confined space. I study taekwondo (Red belt) and i havent gone for training for a while, but i m still flexible. Still have a little stamina(well a little) and i cant(dont like) go out jogging(well i use the speed ropes)
    My basic work out would be,
    Warm ups(while watching tv)
    Push ups
    Situps
    crunches
    stretches(leg lifts and stuff)
    10 reps on diff leg kick(from axe kicks. Spin hook kicks, etc)
    Then 2 reps combining all kicks(tiring)
    Then some dolio chagis(some people call them 45s)The ones you use to chase an opponent in a competition.
    Then stretches and take shower
    Then eat.
    Then go work or wotever i got planned.

Thing is that i ve gotten bored with this workout and find myself not keeping to it.
    Can any one shed some light on wot i m doing wrong?

2. gojuman

gojuman Valued Member

I do a lot training on my own in addition to going to class 2 times per week. I generaly do the exercises you do, but I also work a lot of kata( i'm in Karate). Kata practice is very benificial and really needs to be practiced on ones own, and there is always something to perfect. I am not familiar with TKD. Are there forms or kata?
    You say that you do not train at class regularly, and perhaps at your level you need to attend a structured class a bit more often so that your progression continues.

3. Kof_Andy

Kof_Andy New Member

Haha your not doing anything wrong. :D Is just difficult to train on your own. Keeping yourself motivated is not an easy job, especially if your training solo. Plus solo training is just very limited compare to what you can do in a real class, no partner drills, no sparring or what so ever, so your down to doing air kicks or kicking bags but that's if you have acceses to them only. Try watching some kung fu movies before you train, or listen to some inspirational music that just pumps you up. :love: Just keep at man, eventually your training regiment will become an habit, and you'll just train wether you like it or not.:Angel:

4. flyingblackbelt

flyingblackbelt New Member

ummm, i would do youre combos more then 2 times, i mean you should reduce your single kicks to 5 times a leg and do 5 combos per side if youre THAT tired, but you need to practice your combos more, other than that id just say keep yourself motivated.

5. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

The most important thing here is your motivation. If you are not motivated, your training won't be worth anything. You can work on your technique and do combinations but if your heart isn't in it, and if it is boring to you...then you definitely have to change something.
    But why are you not going to your trainings? It would help to go every now and then. So you could pick up new things and do them at home.
    You say that you are a red belt. On that level you should be able to spar and use your techniques efficiently. Do you want to test for the black belt? If you do, I'm afraid that you won't be able to prepare yourself just training at home. If you want to improve, you need to start training regularly, do something about your stamina and join the classes again.
    So, I guess FIRST you have to decide what you want to do and accomplish in tkd!

Last edited: Oct 5, 2003
  6. Taeho

Taeho New Member

I find it very difficult to train at home. If it's not the wife, kids, dog or phone, it's always something which inhibits a good work-out. I much rather squeeze an extra day in at the Dojang, than try and wrestle with the daily distractions at home.

TKDshane

7. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

yes, there is always something. that definitely rings a bell.

hey, TKDshane...what style of TKD? which belt?

8. Taeho

Taeho New Member

Style? check my signature ;)

I'm currently a purple belt in the International TKD Alliance. Still a newbie I guess...heheh

TKDshane Ÿ

9. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

so, u r doing ITF. my style is WTF TKD.

how long have u been training it?

10. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

Well, you really should consider getting back to class... but in the meantime here are some suggestions.

You warm up .....good
    Pushups before crunches & situps ... good
    Stretching ... good (take a look of the stretches I posted in the Magazine under "Stretching")
    ....Stretch after your kick drills as a cool down also....

Training should be fun so try to include some "toys"!! Makes training fun.
    A heavy bag or a stand alone "wavemaster from Century is a good investment to practice those kicking drills on. The stand alone may be better for you with the confined space that you say you have.... (and its movable!)

No moola $$ then hang tennis ball on a string from the ceiling (air vent)... great for learning control for kicks and punches to head. Try to hit it while its moving... but be careful if you have sheetrock for ceilings!!
    You can also take that tennis ball and toss it against wall and try to hit it back with kicks/punches... (have more than one ball. A soccer ball is an easier target.

As far as reps for kicking.... it is better to have a quantifiable workout... meaning something that can be counted.
    To maximize muscular endurance training.... the 100 kick drill.... front/round/side/hooks 10 sets of 10 kicks or break down into sets of 50 or 25 each leg.

When solo training you should try to keep a journal to keep track of your progress.

Also use a VCR to watch videos of techniques of forms or whatever it is you need to work on.
    You can also tape yourself. It is easy to spot your own mistakes on video.

But do get back to formal training soon.... teachers make you do things that you won't make yourself do!

11. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

I also recommend getting back to class or thinking about what your goal in the martial arts is. Do you want to be a TKD black belt? Do you want to pursue a different style or get away from it altogether? The reeason I mention this is because one of the highest TKD dropout rates (in my own opinion and experience) is at red belt... and it usually shows itself beginning with less attendance at class, slacking off in class and then disappearance. (I am not saying tjhis is your case, but if you were one of my students, that's what I would be asking...

On the other hand, if you are not at a school because of financial reasons, lack of a good school or work obligations, then it's a bit different... although I do give the same warning to stick with it if you want to continue. Back to the original topic and some suggestions...

(Upon my return to this area from Korea, I came back with some pretty bad injuries and a brand new job as a first year teacher... essentially not ime to go to a TKD class and train and the necessity of healing up) This is what I did:

(1) At least twice a week, I went through an actual class... warmup, basic form, kicking/punching, and forms... mainly for the routine (the body responds well to routine and opens up) as well as to stay prepared to teach... because at red belt and up, you will be asked to teach or at least do warm-ups sometimes. These I usually did outside in the backyard...

(2) At least twice a week, usually more, I went through all of my forms from beginner to end... when I got back into class I didn't have to re-learn them all and instead could focus on working with a partner. I can do forms in a very small area of my living room... even a spot about 4 feet by 4 feet.. you just have to adjust the movement.

About motivation... I found training alone to be a bit stale after a bit. Rotating location is good... look for a multipurpose room at a college if you can, a backyard, or take a little ride/run/walk to the park or other open area to practice... the diversity of location kept me enthused (and on the lookout for good places).

Also, if the schedule is a problem, think about investing in some books or tapes to pick up some new techniques... at least to keep learning something new. They may not be the best source, but at your level you should be able to find stuff that works... I personally like the ICHF Hapkido tapes... pretty clear and pretty practical... and esasily adaptable into TKD self defence stuff.

Good luck

12. ratman

ratman Valued Member

Yeah i am one of them red belts. Been a red belt for a long time now. just never felt the need to progress to black belt. I try to go sparring with the black belts in the ITF and Wtf(i do wtf) clubs when i can, but its a long way off from where i live, so i have to do with the "solo training". I do like the idea of introducing toys to my work out . Think i ll get the bag thing that bobs back and forth that s weighted to the ground.

thanks for the advice

13. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

In my humble opinion, if you don't go for your black belt in TKD but remain serious in the martial arts (whatever style), you are still progressing. A "black"belt is just a piece of cloth afterall. Possibly someday you will wish to have it, even if to be able to share your knowledge as a teacher in an organized system. Regardless, I hope you stick with it and continue to improve and enjoy.

By the way, one of our red belts who was just promoted spent 6 years as a red belt. He kept training but kept getting called away for work... he kept returning and finally was ready to go for that black piece of cloth... the immediate result: improved confidence for him and another more confident assistant instructor for us...

14. hwarang

hwarang Guest

it's hard training by yourself, especially if you're doing WTF style...if you are training for techniques, then you can still train solo as long as you know how to pick up any points in your execution that you can improve

if you are training for tournaments, you'll find your reflexes and reaction time quite a bit slower than if you were training with someone else

i do WTF style 6 times a week...i find the only training i can do by myself is to get my patterns and techniques correct and efficient, but unless you train with people more than once or twice a week, you will miss out on sparring against different people and hence miss out on the unpredictability that they can bring - ever tried knocking yourself out with a suprise kick that you weren't expecting...? :)

15. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

i agree with u hwarang,

training sessions at the dojo can't be replaced with solo training.
    when i train alone, i do the forms, technique, some combinations, or train on the punching bag but all this is not enough when training for competitions. definitely not.