Solo practice at home...

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by rob0107, Sep 5, 2013.

1. rob0107

rob0107 Valued Member

Just started training in Rapid Arnis and No-Gi BJJ once a week and I'm completely addicted. Currently I can only make 1 class of each a week, both of which are an hour and a half long. If I had no financial concerns I'd happily spend 5 days a week solidly training in both, but sadly I don't think that'll ever happen...

I was just wondering if there are any good resources that I can use to practice at home without a training partner? I know I'm probably quite limited without someone to practice with, but I'm thinking that something is always better than nothing. I already do strength and conditioning work, so it's more technique drills that I'm looking for.

Any help will be much appreciated :)

2. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

I don't do grappling arts anymore (and I did judo when I did), but I'll try to help as best I can. Since you can't work with a person, try getting a grappling dummy. Also get a sledgehammer and smack the goodness out of some big tires. I haven't tried it yet, but it has been recommended to me to get hold of bulky, heavy objects and just throw them around and simulate the various throws and such you do in BJJ as best as possible. (sorry I don't know the names of the JJ techniques. :/ )

3. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

I would decide which you prefer and go to one style twice a week. Not the answer I know you're looking for but there it is...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXjP50SOwK4&feature=player_embedded"]33 Solo Grappling BJJ Drills in 7 Minutes - Jason Scully - YouTube[/ame]

4. rob0107

rob0107 Valued Member

Only reason I started doing both is they're both taught by the same guy one after the other, which just fits around my work schedule so much better than 2 or more nights a week...see things would be so much easier if I didn't need to eat or have a house to live in

5. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Is there no judo near you? It'll be tons cheaper and give you some transferable skills and lots of useful skills. Same with boxing.

Mitch

6. rob0107

rob0107 Valued Member

I did try a Judo place nearby for a few weeks, and did enjoy it. My only issue was with the emphasis on competition, so no grabbing legs, immediately turtling when you're on the ground etc. I'm not criticising Judo at all, as obviously I'd still learn a ton of useful, transferable skills, just personally I didn't think it was for me. I do miss the pyjamas though...

7. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Gotta love the pyjamas :D

Some judo is better than nothing though. Actually, some judo is better than a lot of most things :)

Best of luck with your training tough fella, get in there!

Mitch

8. rob0107

rob0107 Valued Member

I'm thinking that, on weeks that allow it I might head to other local gyms and get other training in that will be helpful. There's a few Judo places scattered around, there's a couple of other FMA instructors, few BJJ places etc. Just wanted things to do at home on weeks were I don't have the time to train elsewhere...

Oh also found this thread http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116017
    which has got some useful videos on it. Going to give some of them a go as soon as my Rattan sticks I've ordered online arrive

9. Janno

Janno Valued Member

If you've got access to some space and a couple of rubber tyres, you can set up a good practice-dummy for the Rapid Arnis work. I myself used to use a heavy bag with small stickers attached to it for power/accuracy training. That said, a heavy bag doesn't give you the same "bounce" a tyre does...

10. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

For the BJJ this:

[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Drill-Win-Months-Brazillian-Jiu-Jitsu/dp/0981504485"]Drill to Win: 12 Months to Better Brazillian Jiu-Jitsu: Amazon.co.uk: Andre Galvao, Kevin Howell: Books[/ame]

is a good resource. It's a mix of solo and partner drill aimed at gi work, but the solo stuff can be done no gi.

11. shootodog

shootodog restless native

Tyre + rope + tree/ a place to hang = stickwork striking target.

Heavy bag + mats = ground positioning and transition drills.

Halved tyre tied to a post = weapons striking post.

Truck tyre. Flip it around several times. Jump on it and change lead footing. Smash it with a sledgehammer.

12. rob0107

rob0107 Valued Member

Ah brilliant, I'll check it out, cheers.

I'll see if I can get some old tyres and rope from somewhere too, and just start from there I guess. I've heard a few people say about smashing a truck tyre with a sledgehammer. Is that to improve grip strength?