Solo MA Drills/Workouts

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by RaKzaroK, May 9, 2014.

1. RaKzaroK

RaKzaroK Valued Member

Hello there!
    I'm not practicing any MA right now, and I think I won't join any MA class for a while because of various reasons.
    Generally, I have a whole lot of 7 months of JJJ and some BJJ under my belt :p

In terms of striking, in those 7 months, I got a good amount of teaching in roundhouse kicks above the waist (with the foot, not the shin), and in the jab and the cross (with modifications to fit in JJJ rules of course). Also, I got some teaching in front kicks -aiming at the core mostly- with the ball of the foot.

Regarding hooks,uppercuts and elbow and knee strikes, nobody formally taught them to me, though I've watched like 100000 youtube videos and read even more descriptions of the movements and now practice them in a heavy bag or while shadowboxing.
    I know this is not the right way to train a movement because it can lead to a much worse movement pattern in the long term, but it's the only way I can learn those strikes right now.
    If any on you has any good video link / book / article which explains those movements well, feel free to share it!

In terms of grappling/groundwork, we focused a lot on positioning, simple submissions, beginner judo throws, breakfalls and tumbling.

Now, I know I could practice some breakfalls and tumbling alone, but I don't have the necessary ground to do so, yet. If any of you has any idea what else I can do alone regarding grappling/groundwork, please inform me.

So, to end the post, I'm looking for a daily workout scheme / template with a heavy bag and / or shadowboxing which incorporates elbow strikes, knee strikes, hooks, uppercuts, jabs / crosses, front kicks, side kicks and whatever one can do alone to train his grappling/groundwork.
    I'm talking about a MA-only workout -no strength&conditioning in there- that can be done daily and is progressive.
    I have some ideas in my mind but I'd like your opinions too.

Thanks!

2. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

You may try:

- 1 step 1 punch,
    - 1 step 2 punch,
    - 1 step 3 punch (train for speed),
    - 2 steps 1 punch,
    - 3 steps 1 punch (train for footwork).

The punch can be any punch (jab, cross, hook, uppercut, back fist, hammer fist, side punch, ...).

3. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

• How you you step
    • How you you throw a jab
    • How do you train for speed
    • How many types of speed are there
    • How do you train footwork

In a nutshell, you can't train yourself at home, certainly not for anything more than cardio.

4. hardball

hardball Valued Member

You can't go wrong with your heavy bag. You can even throw it and practice ground and pound with it. Stick to the basics.

Last edited: May 9, 2014
  5. TKDDragon

TKDDragon Valued Member

Plus one for getting a trainer. At 7 months you don't know what you don't know.

6. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Find a reason and a way to study under a qualified instructor - not reasons not to be doing so. If it is important enough, you will find a way.

You say you know not having one is the wrong way to train, and shouldn't be doing it, You say you know it could build bad habits, yet still ask for our help in doing it!

That makes no sense!

Also, 7 months is not a "whole lot" of training - period.

Last edited: May 9, 2014
  7. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

This is the most important piece of advice that has been issued in this thread, and you wrote it yourself... :bang:

Solo MA Workouts/Drills are only effective when they supplement, not substitute, your existing Training - Contrary to modern belief, Practice does not make perfect, it makes permanent, and ingraining a poor technique, or even a poor understanding of a technique, is much worse than never Training a technique in the 1st place...

...It is much harder to undo, than it is to do!

Regards,

Travess

8. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

You absolutely can - you can permanently damage your hands, wrists, elbows and shoulders if you misuse a heavy bag.

9. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

If you can't train, you can't train. You'd be best served by working on your flexibility and your strength and conditioning, so that when you can get back to training, you're in shape to make the best of it.

Half-assed training leads to half-assed results.

10. Fujimoru

Fujimoru Valued Member

solo drilling can be good training imo. I am in between dojos and its good practice. I'm not looking to get into any competitions soon and is a good way to stay in form . better than sitting on a couch. Just dont go taking on the tapout club. ;)

11. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

Agree! People may say that solo training at home may build you bad habit. IMO, doing nothing at home is the "bad habit". No matter how long that you may go to school to train. You just can't go to school to train all your life. Soon or later, your teacher will die by old age and you no longer have school to go to. You can't just quit your MA training and doing nothing for the rest of your life.

If you just do your "partner training" without partner, you get yourself a "solo training". The "solo training" may not be able to help you to "develop" your skill (MA is 2 person's art). It can help you to "polish" the skill that you have already developed. The "solo training" can be as hard as the "partner training". Since you don't have your opponent to counter your force, you may have to go to the extreme in order to maintain your balance. This will push your "commitment" and "flexibility" training into another level.

In "partner training", you have to do this:

[​IMG]

In "solo training", you have to do this:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmqk8CKJZWY"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmqk8CKJZWY[/ame]

Here is another "partner training":

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxgBmMJoGRk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxgBmMJoGRk[/ame]

and "solo training":

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCJGWANY_y8"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCJGWANY_y8[/ame]

Last edited: May 12, 2014
  12. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

I was just working on some "line drills" as my teacher called it, it's a lead foot kick, push with the opposite hand while bringing the knee up, coming down with the elbow as the foot lands from the knee, throwing the opposite elbow across (also in a slashing motion) and then an uppercut type of elbow, he also added in a left hook and uppercut to it. I was going soooooooooooooooo slow trying to get my technique right. I guess I know what i'll be doing all week at least.

Last edited: May 12, 2014
  13. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

You can't go wrong by doing the following at home:

- kick low, punch high.

14. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

If you need to ask us how to train at home, you will do more harm than good training at home. There are plenty of things you can do but they must be done properly and with a specific goal in mind.

If you want to get better on your own, the best return on investment you are going to find is PT. That is something you actually can learn online and do at home.

15. RaKzaroK

RaKzaroK Valued Member

The "whole lot" part was purely ironic, I put the smiley there to make it even more visible. :)

I don't know, I still think that half-assed results are better than no results. If you know the basics of a cross and you practice it daily, I think you have a better chance to hit someone with a cross than if you never practiced it.

The goal is, just being better at throwing punches / kicks than the average guy who doesn't practice those movements at all.

To everyone, I'm not saying that solo heavy bag / shadowboxing practice will make me better at sparring/fighting, I understand that you need a coach to get better at sparring to show you the tactics, explain to you what you did wrong, what alternatives you had at a specific moment etc, I think everyone gets that.

I just believe that, if I practice,for example, 2-3 punches and 1-2 kicks daily, just the movements, not the whole theory of when to throw a cross or when to fake a hook or how to combine a cross with a body hook etc, I'm still in a much better position than someone who never practiced a punching movement, let alone practicing this movement daily for an extended period of time.

16. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

A handy solo drill for practicing low entry for hip throws. Take a belt. Tie one end to a fixed object at about your hip height of the floor. Hold the other end of the belt in one hand. Face the object. Practice stepping in with your hips below the belt. You should end up facing away from the object.

: )

17. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

If all you want to do is practice some simple punches and kicks at home, why are you asking us how? Unless you don't know how to punch or kick properly, which leads us back to a school.