Sojutsu

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by MingTheMerciles, Mar 19, 2006.

1. MingTheMerciles

MingTheMerciles Valued Member

Those weapon are the Bo right ? dun look like yari or byonet to me ...

I see the very black bogu look nice and well made and also look very mysterious .

2. Lord Spooky

Lord Spooky Banned Banned

If you think about it what is a Yari?

A Bo with a pointy bit! You don't need that pointy bit to practice the technique Although it helps :D I've done Yari work using a Bo obvioulsy a Bo is that bit shorter, which had to be taken into account, but it was doable.

When things become a bit more er exocitic like in the pic of the Kamayari below then I would think you need something a bit more like the real thing.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 22, 2006
  3. Kogusoku

Kogusoku 髭また伸びた! Supporter

No, the top photo is of two jukendo practicioners at a shiai and the older picture, is of two sojutsu practicioners.

4. Kusarigama

Kusarigama Valued Member

Suio Ryu Iai Kenpo Naginatajutsu

[​IMG]

This is a photo of Suio Ryu Iai Kenpo Naginatajutsu. The individual to the right is the 15th Generation Headmaster of the Ryu, Katsuse Yoshimitsu Kagehiro .

5. MingTheMerciles

Cause I find that Yari to be kinda short

6. komuso

komuso Valued Member

Thanks for the great posts Steve!

Have to say that the photo of the gentleman wearing yoroi certainly brings home the importance of accurate targetting in weapons arts. Where on earth would you hit someone done up like that, presuming you can get past the wicked spike that he is probably likely to be hell bent on poking you with?

Paul

7. Kogusoku

That's because it's a close up, you can't see the rest of the shaft of the polearm can you? 1865 cameras probably didn't have zoom or shutters for action photos like they do now, so they were probably posing so that the reader of the book could grasp the concept of how practice was conducted.

Suyari are over seven feet in length and the entirety of the weapon just can't be the frame of the picture due to technological limitations due to the camera used.

8. Kogusoku

Yes indeed Paul. Training armour like what is used in jukendo facilitates full contact practice, but at the same time, the actual targets are not realistic. They are striking the do (the torso) which would, depending on the quality of the armour, either pierce the breastplate or break the blade of the spear, rendering your primary weapon inactive.

This is why koryu still use training methods in classical armour (Some ryuha do both kacchu geiko & Bogu shiai), so that they remember the yoroi kyusho.

[​IMG]

9. MingTheMerciles

silly me , why I did not think of that ...

And btw the 2 sparring armored samurai are cool !!!!

Anymore pic ?

When disadvantage and advantages does kendo-ka have over naginata , yari or jukendo ?

Last edited: Mar 24, 2006
  10. Cudgel

Cudgel The name says it all

That is pretty cool that they still train with armor in Japan. Is that kata or shiai(I think I used the right term)?

11. Kogusoku

The guys in Tosei gusoku (Period armour) are doing kata.

If they are in bogu (protective gear), they are doing shiai.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2006
  12. fthl

fthl www.jitsu.me

reinforces the coolness factor of haks as well, if you ask me. I just wish I knew why mine never look crisp and never hang just right. I fold them and everything. I think maybe I'm just not suited for haks, in the same way some folk can't wear hats.

13. pgsmith

pgsmith Valued dismemberer

If you are talking about the hakama in the demonstration pictures, I would guess that you didn't pay enough for yours. Hakama come in everything from daily training outfits to serious formal wear. Those worn at demonstrations are usually formal wear and cost anywhere from $300 to $1200. It's akin to looking at a picture of someone in an Armani suit and wondering why your J.C. Penney suits don't seem to look as good as that one.

P.S. You shouldn't call them "haks". That sounds like hairballs you found behind your couch courtesy of your cat! :)

14. Kogusoku

Good analogy Paul.

15. pgsmith

Thanks Steve,
    I've recently been told that I need to get the whole formal get-up. Montsuke, haori, formal hakama, the works. I am becoming very cognizant of just how much some of that stuff costs!! (ouch!) :)

16. Kogusoku

I know what you mean Paul, I have the montsuki, formal hakama et al including the embroidery of the past soke's kamon (a rare one). Took me a good two years to get everything together when I was on a school teacher's salary.

All that money and it's only used once a year! Ha! :bang:

17. pgsmith

Yeah, but at least gaining a little weight won't render it useless as it would that Armani suit! :)

18. Kogusoku

Oohh I don't know about that *Dials up Ringo's Pizza* :rolleyes:

19. Kogusoku

Sorry for dredging this thread back to the top. Last week I was at the Nagoya Castle Kobudo embutaikai with Mekugi (AKA: Russ Ebert) and we took some clips of some rather good koryu budo, including some spear and naginata schools.

Here is some footage of Owari Kan-ryu sojutsu, which make special use of the Kuda yari. A kuda is a metal collar about the width of the hand that slips over the shaft of the yari to enable very fast, explosive thrusts and retractions. The length of the spear shaft is roughly 2.8 metres and when thrust, it is very hard to parry or block, since the yari-saki (spear tip) spirals towards the target at great speed

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dk2ylxYHUA&search=sojutsu]Owari Kan-ryu Sojutsu[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UN2g-hD_dSw&search=sojutsu]Owari Kan-ryu bogu shiai [/ame]

I apologise in advance for the bad camera work.

Last edited: May 8, 2006