Sojutsu

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by MingTheMerciles, Mar 19, 2006.

1. MingTheMerciles

MingTheMerciles Valued Member

I wonder is there any known places or did anyone here is currently practising Sojutsu ?

2. Kogusoku

Kogusoku 髭また伸びた! Supporter

You don't exactly have your location on your profile. Where exactly is "here"?

3. MingTheMerciles

i mean in this forum , who is practicing it , do u need a bogu to fight with each other with a yari , just like u did with kendo or naginata .

Last edited: Mar 19, 2006
  4. KSprenk

KSprenk be

The Bujinkan has sojutsu, although I have never been taught in it.

5. Kogusoku

I train in the sojutsu taught in one of the koryu I study. Kata geiko is done solo & paired, and no protective equipment is needed.

If you were to do shiai with tampo yari (the padded tipped polearm), you will need jukendo armour, not kendo armour. Jukendo armour is slightly different, there is a protector for the armpit & upper arm, also the right hand only uses a leather glove, not a kote. only the left hand uses a kote.

6. MingTheMerciles

Where do u learn Sojutsu ? Do u have the website of the place where u learn the martial art ?

So mean the bogu for a Yari user will only one side of the arm are heavily protected while the other are lightly arm ?

Last edited: Mar 20, 2006
  7. Kogusoku

I learned the ryuha while living in Japan. They don't have a website.

I mean that the left side of the body is the more protected, because that is the side you face your enemy with.

8. MingTheMerciles

Is it possible for me or is there any known places in North America ( both Canada and USA ) , Sojutsu can be practiced ?

9. Kogusoku

The closest you will get to it in the US will be Jukendo (if they have any dojo in the US that is!). I don't think that there are any koryu teaching yari in North America yet.

10. MingTheMerciles

Isn't Jukendo the way of the Byonet ? Fighting using byonet rifle ?

11. Kogusoku

It's based primarily upon sojutsu and French Bayonet technique.

12. MingTheMerciles

So it is the same as Sojutsu , heh ?

Cause mostly Spear and Byonet are mostly for thrusting action .

btw , want to ask this for a very long time , what the different between Sojutsu , Naginatado and Bojutsu ?

Last edited: Mar 21, 2006
  13. Lord Spooky

Lord Spooky Banned Banned

The pointy bit at the end :D :D

I do Bo work at my class but the art also includes Yari and Naginata among others. Although only having limited experience with the Bo, still getting to grips with the basics, and even less with Naginata and Yari it looks to me as if the Bo forms the basis of work with the other two weapons.

:D :D

Last edited: Mar 21, 2006
  14. Kogusoku

Sojutsu (鑓術・槍術 ) is the art of the spear. Some koryu ryuha practice spear against another spearman or another swordsman, depending on the tradition. Techniques again vary on the tradition, some ryuha will only thrust, while others will thrust, slash and use the ishizuki (Ferruled buttcap at the other end of the polearm) to strike and thrust with.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Naginatajutsu (薙刀術・長刀術 ) is the art of the glaive or halberd. It would be a good time to explain that there are two types of naginata, there is the Onaginata which was used by footsoldiers in battlefield combat and were usually over seven feet in length.

The second kind of naginata was used by females at the home to protect their household was termed "ko-naginata" and usually measured at a little over six feet. These were usually given to women by their fathers as wedding presents as a reminder that they were now protectors of their household after their betrothal. Ko-naginata were also used by calvalry. There are quite a lot of historical documentation, not to mention artistic depictions of the naginaga being used.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bojutsu (棒術 ) is the art of the staff. There are literally hundreds of classical mainland Japanese styles of bojutsu. In Japanese bojutsu (very different from Okinawan & Ryukyuan bojutsu) the opponent is armed with either a sword or another bo. Depending on the ryuha, there will be infighting techniques, utilizing close quarter strikes & grappling or other measures, like throwing the bo away altogether and just using jujutsu.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 22, 2006
  15. Lord Spooky

Lord Spooky Banned Banned

Cracking post Gunyo Kogusoku

Cheers.

16. pgsmith

pgsmith Valued dismemberer

Very nicely explained Steve! With pictures and everything.

:)

17. MingTheMerciles

The Picture are cool , especially the samurai .

18. Kogusoku

The sojutsu practicioner in yoroi (samurai armour) is a member of Saburi-ryu sojutsu doing one of the ryuha's solo spear kata. They practice both kacchu & suhada style (Armoured & in period street clothes).

19. MingTheMerciles

are they really sparring with the Yari ?

20. Kogusoku

No, they were doing paired combat kata there. If they were doing shiai (Sparring), then they would be wearing jukendo bogu.

[​IMG]

This image was taken in 1865 by author, Felix Beast.

[​IMG]

The same style of armour is still used.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2006