Socially Smoking

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by special43543, Oct 11, 2005.

1. special43543

special43543 Special Member

I did a search on smoking and its effects on cardio, but none of it really answered my question. I know most of you will tell me to get away from smoking, but how bad is it to have one or two cigarettes every now and then? Smoking socially with friends, at a concert or something of that nature. Is it really that bad on your cardio to where I couldn't keep up with what I use to, or slow me down drastically in BJJ? If it's cigarettes or martial arts I choose martial arts...but does it really come to that? As long as I keep it to just a few cigarettes every once and a while, will it effect my cardio and lungs that much?

2. ThaiBxr

ThaiBxr Banned Banned

Every now and then... won't really effect squat.

The problem is that "every now and then" is how a lot of smokers start out. I know a lot of friends who pulled the once in a while routine with smoking, generally while drinking, and simply got addicted accidentally and it all took off from there. If you're only looking to smoke every once in a while, then smoke cigars.

But yeah, as for cardio, I spend most my evenings and nights with friends at their house on campus, so as you can imagine we smoke a lot of cigars and get high a few times a week. I have solid cardio and I haven't noticed any effect from smoking at all really.

3. regs

regs New Member

Yeah, the whole every now and then thing was how I got hooked on it and now it's playing hell to quit. What I'm gonna have to do is just drop them cold turkey, as nothing else seems to be working. Anyways, I'm gonna have to suggest stopping even the every now and then smoking cigs, because it's way to easy to get addicted. Pick up cigars for the every now and then thing as was said. Doesn't seem as easy to get addicted to them.

regan

4. Prophet

Prophet ♥ H&F ♥

EVERY smoker starts with the "everynow and then"

I mean, who just decides one day "yeah, i think its time to start smoking a pack a day, for no reason!"

The tar builds up in your lungs preventing oxygen from entering your blood as efficiently. Smoking only once in a while will mimimize this, but smoking once in a while for 30 years would be noticeable. Also, just because your cardio wont be effected as much by doing the "once in a while" thing, doesnt mean your chances of getting cancer go down.

5. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

If you are serious about you're health and your martial arts... yes it comes down to that. :D

6. inteq9

inteq9 165lb of TROUBLE!

I have a friend who did just this after starting college. He wanted to fit in with the "cool" people so he started smoking. What a dumbass he is. He has a very screwed up way of trying to get people to like him, but I guess it works... problem is nobody RESPECTS him... whatever I'm not getting into this in the H&F forum :cool:

P.S. don't smoke, it makes you stink and ruins your lungs.

7. Maverick

Maverick New Member

Ignore any off-topic or holier than thou posts.

No, smoking occasionally will not have a significant effect on your cardio.

8. Gray

Gray New Member

I am guilty of social smoking. So far I haven't noticed any loss. Then again, it's like one or two every six weeks.

9. Sam

Sam Absent-ish member

I don't get socially smoking how does not smoking around people who do smoke make you unsociable and vice versa.
    And as smoking is one the most unsociable habits there is i just really dont get it.
    If you're going to smoke, smoke, if your not then don't.
    This one every once in a while stuff is just silly imo whats the point, really?

10. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

I have a good quality cigar at new year, but I never had one this year because I was getting over a bad cold.

11. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

I wouldn't recommend it, personally. I echo what everyone else says about how it's easy to get addicted. I quit cold turkey after 7 years. It's not easy, and smoking sucks. I don't understand how you would want to smoke at all socially or not. I tried smoking one a few weeks ago because I'd had a few too many to drink, and I couldn't get 1/3 of a way through the thing before I felt like I was going to throw up.

12. slipthejab

I wonder what the point of 'social smoking' is?

Does it help you to fit in with the crowd you're hanging with? :confused:

Are you nervous enough in a social setting that it gives you something to do with your hands? :confused:

Woud you feel out of place if you didn't smoke? :confused:

Would you be looked down upon or ostracized if you didn't smoke? :confused:

Over the last couple several years I've known quite a few people that used to join in on the weekly hill runs. Some of them started to smoke socially... down at the pub... in a club... at a party... social smoking right?

Funny enough... it was those same individuals that eventually tapered off on the running and ended up becoming more than just 'social smokers'. I guess for them being accepted socially was more important than their health. I still bump into them down at the pub every now and then... they always look a bit sheepish. :D

I dunno does that come off as 'holier than thou'?! :D

13. slipthejab

Here's some interesting and relevant info:

souce: http://www.vh.org/adult/patient/familymedicine/studenthealth/raresmoking.html

Here's more:

source: http://www.umassmed.edu/pap/news/2000/09-11-00.cfm

and.... shocker... :D some more:

source: http://www.news-medical.net/?id=512

here's more:
    source: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...ve&db=PubMed&list_uids=11072451&dopt=Abstract

one last one... I think you get the point that this could go on for the next 30 pages of the thread...:D

source: http://www.vpul.upenn.edu/ohe/library/drugs/smoking/collegesmoke.htm

Last edited: Oct 11, 2005
  14. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

One of the reasons I left my first instructor is that he would preach to us about staying healthy and then first thing after class he'd go outside and light up. Talk about hypocritical.

15. Vita

Vita Valued Member

won't affect you, but your problem lies in the continuous use of them. you'll get addicted, and besides, what's the point. just quit AGAIN last night, and made the wife quit this time too, hopefully it works. my point is, is that i've smoked since i was 12 or 13, i'm 23 now, started out as "social" smoking with friends, and it was pointless, i still outran the jocks in my gym classes in the mile, but after leaving high school (at age 16) and getting my own place, it picked up with drinking.

if i would have never smoked in the first place, i wouldn't have ended up smoking.

point of the matter, don't smoke, it's bad for you, and one day you're going to want to quit, but your body won't let you. i'm going to mop the floor with myself until i don't have any urges anymore, not a lot of people i know have the drive to do it, and i've failed numerous times already. you start smoking a little here and a little there, you'll start to smoke more, if not now, later when your life slows down a bit, just stay away. (sorry if i'm re-stating others comments, but i didn't read the thread yet...)

16. SickDevildog

SickDevildog Lost In The Sauce

Thats sad :rolleyes:

Thanks for the Article Slip, good read, now I know that im a Chipper lol.

I keep thinking about the pictures they used to show us in biology class, you know the ones witth the healty vs smoker lungs. :eek:

Smokers Lungs

[​IMG]

Non-smokers Lungs
    [​IMG]

Healthy Vs. Smoker Lungs

[​IMG]

If you're a smoker and trying to quit remember the devil grabbing into Constantine, pulling those tar-dripping pitch-black lungs out, and imagine those beeing yours.

I know its hard to quit, nervouseness, stress, anxiety, the fitting in thing for young people and ofcourse nicotine make it hard, but in the end it'll add some healthy years to your life.

17. Athleng Nordic

Athleng Nordic Sadly passed away. RIP. Supporter

It's about the same as second-hand smoking.

18. hux

hux ya, whatever.

uh, no. it's how every smoker starts out. Nobody starts off smoking 3 packs a day like I did, we *all* start off thinking "feh, every once in a while won't hurt anything"...

I haven't lit one of those awful things in 3 years, hardest thing I've ever done was quitting 'em. I would strongly, strongly, strongly suggest you not mess with them at all. Insert a bunch of Nancy Reagan cliches here.

seriously.

19. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

It may sound stupid, but I actually did start smoking with the intention of smoking every day.

I would also like to confirm the suspicion that the only way to quit is to quit coldd turkey.

Here's my best advice to quit smoking: quit in the morning before you've had your first cigarette. It's easiest not to smoke when you don't have any nicotine in your system. I used to quit every Tuesday. By the next monday, I'd always be smoking again. It's a hard process, and it probably took me 2 years before I kicked it completely.

I haven't smoked in 3 years (unless you count a 1/3rd of a cigarette at the bar, after I'd had too much to drink).

Good luck to all you smokers, and if you don't smoke, don't start, because there isn't a single good reason to.

20. IrishStomp

IrishStomp Valued Member

Just don't smoke, it doesn't make you look as cool as you think. I used to smoke "socially" like that and then I stopped and got in shape, now if I smoke a cigarette ever I can completely feel how unhealthy it is.