So where are the TKD Chicks ?

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by KickChick, Oct 14, 2006.

1. Cait

Cait da Bionic is BACK!

how did i miss this thread?

..oh, wait, it was started before i joined! :D right.
    well, as neryo_tkd has seen fit to ressurect it, i'll just add myself to the check-in.

better late than never ;)

2. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

what check in? add a picture! :D

3. Cait

Cait da Bionic is BACK!

like i haven't on several threads already??

LOL... if you insist then..

Attached Files:

4. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

tsk tsk tsk posting a picture with dirty feet!!! :D :Angel: :D :Angel: :D

5. Cait

Cait da Bionic is BACK!

well if i'm running around with bare feet for hours on end... :rolleyes:

6. TKD Liz

TKD Liz Valued Member

Women in TKD

I often attend the BodyCompat classes and notice that most people there are women (usually over 90%) and wonder why other women don't therefore choose something like TKD. As a woman who has reached 2nd Kup (starting in my early 30s) I have a couple of thoughts.

- men seeing women sexually rather than just other people interested in the martial art (i.e. comments about women who are tall, or bendy... well it puts me off and others I imagine).

- preconceptions about joining a club: that there will be lots of heavy contact sparring, possibly with aggressive people, nervous to go alone as the environment is completely unfamiliar. Actually this may not be gender related at all but I'd love to know why so many women do BodyCombat and the situation is inverted at TKD.

- breaking: This can put anyone off but more girls than guys may be nervous about hurting themselves. It certainly bothers me and I wonder that my bones may not be as strong...maybe. Hand techniques can be worrying but once you get over the bruises and bumps it gets easier.

Other thoughts?

Basically I just don't see women coming through the door in the same way the rush to BodyCombat. That is more like dance (no technique taught, just moves) but it has the high energy of a bag session or sparring without a doubt. Maybe they just don't know that they could be developing a skill at the same time. Buffy might have helped. BruceSistaz may be too? It is better than when I was a kid though. I did TKD (TAGB) from 9 to 18 on and off and in those days you were luck if you saw a II dan instructor. Now I'm training with V, VI and VIII dan instructors on a regular basis (all promoted under GrandMaster Rhee) and I know a lot of IV dan women. As a red belt I find that immensely inspiring and the excuses drop away.

So please, don't patronise and sexualise the women, especially the younger ones. Show them real respect and they will respect you for it in return.

TaeKwon

7. TKD Liz

TKD Liz Valued Member

I am one of 4 women in our Dojang. I'm red belt. One is a III dan going for IV soon. An astonishingly skilled fighter and all round martial artists. There is a black tag who has had time out for starting her family and another who is a blue tag. Friendly small club. All treated the same (mutual sense of respect and strong sense of TKD tenets in all members). I like it. There is no showing off and huge integrity for self improvement. Just wish more women would come and experience it.

8. TKD Liz

TKD Liz Valued Member

Hi, Nice to meet you. Great picture too. You've put a belt on your signature, how did you do that?

9. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

Hi Liz

Just a quick note that the last reply to this thread before your own was from 4 years ago, so you might not get many replies from the same people as before.

Still, it might work to revive the thread in a new way, so good luck!

Welcome to MAP!

10. Peter Lewis

Peter Lewis Matira Matibay

Hi Liz

RESPECT.

I also do Body Combat 4 times per week and it is a fun and tough workout. Our classes are probably around 80% female. It is not just TKD that seems to lack female practitioners. I teach Filipino Martial Arts and there are probably less than 5% female students. I do tend to get more female students for self-protection training, but that may suggest a specific interest or need.

I am sure that before too long, you'll be representing TKD at a higher level and may eventually be in a position to tip the balance. Good luck to you.

Peter

11. TKD Liz

TKD Liz Valued Member

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your reply! 4 times a week sounds incredible by the way. I'm deeply impressed.

I think you have a very good point regarding the self-defence. Several of my friends teach instrumental lessons and one commented that she felt nervous going into other people's homes. I've been trying to encourage them to come to TKD because of the health, speed and self-defence benefits and this does interest them but they prefer to attend a few self-defence sessions and leave the rest. Whilst this is better than nothing, personally I feel the benefits from free and 1 step sparring prepare me in some valuable physical and mental ways but thankfully I've not been attacked. Martial arts training helps you to become strong, look strong, hold yourself confidently and most importantly avoid situations that your instincts are warning you to avoid. Oh, and it helps with understanding how your body is reacting to stress! I wish I could convince them. Many people in our club have come because they have already been mugged...

I sincerely hope to become a black belt in the next few years and encourage other women to follow me in that goal. I wish you and your students well in your training.

As we say in our Dojang with a bow,
    TaeKwon

12. Peter Lewis

Peter Lewis Matira Matibay

Hi Liz

Many thanks for your reply and good wishes.

You demonstrate a good level of awareness, which should help to keep you safe. A crucial element for self-defence is that the 'rules' change... basically, there are no rules. Therefore, to defend effectively, you'll need to consider anything that is not permitted within the dojang. It is likely that these new moves will have to become your first option and will need some degree of training to make them functional.

Good luck and stay safe

Peter