So what should Tai Chi look like?

Discussion in 'Tai chi' started by Baggsy, Jan 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Richard Dunn

Richard Dunn Banned Banned

That is because one is Tai-Chi and the other isn't!

2. liokault

liokault Banned Banned

So what is CMC if not TCC?

3. tccstudent

tccstudent Valued Member

If this is true, it very much rings of muscle and no mind. From my push hands experience, I have never seen my teacher out of breath. Not even one time. Even when I tried my best to knock him to the ground. In fact, I rarely even see him sweat, unless it 98 degrees or something. I watch him do push hands all night long, one student after another, and still he's not out of breath.

Pikul's statement may be very telling.

4. Richard Dunn

Good try, wrong way around.

5. Pikul

Pikul Valued Member

The Wudang is good training mind. I ultimately want to be able to use my CMC softness to neutralise their physical strength. It's a different vibe to when trying to neutralise someone who is soft because it feels so aggressive.

6. liokault

liokault Banned Banned

So you pick two martial arts to spend your precious time on.......one is awesome, but to balance this out you pick a crap one as well.

Then you come on the internet and tell everyone how crap it is on a conveniently placed thread.

Your a fibber and a fool.

7. liokault

liokault Banned Banned

Care to name your teacher?

8. tccstudent

tccstudent Valued Member

last post for the day....

Lio, what if someone from his CMC school defeats someone in your school in a round of push hands??? Does that mean your school sucks? Or, does it mean that one martial artist was better than the other?

You are getting to hung up, and close-minded. Why not, for laughs even, try a "soft" school's approach to TCC and see how and if you gain anything... Just a thought.

9. liokault

liokault Banned Banned

No

Oh, come on. The guy Pikul is clearly a construct, created simply to run Wudang down.

So he's practising this MA that he thinks "is good training mind" despite:

There's no body mechanics
    You can feel their techniques coming on because of the tension and the fact they only use li
    The applications you learn seem very rudimentary

Not only does he refer to Wudang in the as they not we (they only use li) , but he has used a term to describe something that no Wudang guy ever would.

I smell a clumsy construct from the Dunn(ce) camp.

10. piratebrido

piratebrido internet tough guy

I recently started going to Judo twice a week as well. I am a Wudang person. They kept commentating on my balance, how relaxed I am in Randori (standup fighting) and my ability to counter. I wasn't born this way and I attribute a good 90% if not more to my very short 20 months of Tai Chi Chuan. Another person from my class has also started going to Judo to give it a try, different class from my own, and he has recieved the same (although more so I bet as he is more experienced and better than me).

These guys have got a respect for Tai Chi now. We tell them that it is down to our Tai Chi. I also go to Jiu Jitsu twice a week (I am mad I know) and even they are starting to get a bit of respect for it.

If you think Wudang Tai Chi Chuan is all hard, I ask you in relation to what? Sure we are hard, yet we are also soft. Isn't that the point of it? We go with the force, we evade and deflect, we try to lead into the void. We do forms, we do pushing hands. Why is it because we teach the application behind our form we suddenly become bullys and brutes? Our Yin is to adhere, to deflect and to evade; our Yang is to attack our opponents soft spots.

I say live and let live. What we do maybe different, but thats fine if you ask me. Shock horror we may even learn something from each other. After all, stranger things have happened.

11. Richard Dunn

Whow sunshine now you have gone too far. Never met the guy. None of my students are on this list to my knowledge. The only people I have met who are here are the butterfly and frog ones. Go very carefull with accusations that you cannot verify. These lists are public and covered by the libel laws.

12. cullion

cullion Valued Member

So who does Pikul study under ?

13. Pikul

Pikul Valued Member

I am not a construct. I'm open minded when it comes to training. Personally for me I've got the best of both worlds. Wudang is ideal for no-nonsense practical street defence situations and it has a systematic fool proof training syllabus - you're definitley going to come out with something. The CMC training is just so cool. No conditioning, no getting out of breath, no aches and pains the next day - just chilling out, letting go and in the process cultivating yourself and developing frightening effortless internal power. I don't see anything wrong with cross-training.

14. Taiji Butterfly

Taiji Butterfly Banned Banned

I found this book for you on Amazon, Richard...
    "How to Win Friends and Influence People"
    Dale Carnegie
    psychotic babbling - just answer the darn question :woo:
    Erm, well sharing information? Making new friends? How about not for some selfish little man to annoy others for fun...? :bang:
    One finger points out, three point back :yeleyes: :mad: Fooling nobody Richey :rolleyes:
    Like you can tell anyone what to do captain lol Rude rude rude :mad:
    The man asked you a question, you are just too rude and pompous to answer it (as usual)
    Shorthand for: "no hard evidence, but I'm living in a fantasy where I rediscover lost secrets of the ancients and become the new Merlin..." LOL
    Not true methinks! Psychobabble again. This is Richard's tactic when pressured, he sidesteps the question and starts talking "word salad" When you keep pressing him he will first insult you, then blank you and then say it was your fault... :woo: The man is a nasty selfish piece of work imo :bang:
    In other words: "It's my power trip and you can't play with me if you're anything other than subservient to my obvious superiority"
    Now come the insults. Double standards don't even cover it! Anything but answer perfectly reasonable questions... :rolleyes:

You couldn't make this guy up could you? lol :bang:
    :Angel:

15. Taiji Butterfly

Hmm, perhaps you would do well to remember that Richey!! :D
    c'monnnnnnnnn!!!! :rolleyes:
    :Angel:

16. daftyman

daftyman A 4oz can of whoop-ass!

A number of points.

1. I train in CMC style taiji, it's what I like and it is effective. Personally I have no desire to go to a Wudang school, but I won't rain on their parade. They are both good schools, they just have different approaches.

Different styles suit different people that's why some practice Sun style, others Chen, Yang, Wu, Woo-hoo, doodah dozy mick and titch. All styles are complete, it just comes down to the teachers and the students to take full advantage.

2. Stav (runic qigong), and the works of Edred Thorsson. I own the books and have read them, but the actual historical references are few and far between. There are some sagas (Havamal for example) that contain references, and Tacitus (a roman historian) has references to some of the practices, but what we are dealing with here is a spoken tradition, the writing was for ritual and was secret, not in general use. The 'modern' runic revival is and can only ever be an educated construct, in the same way that we can see that dinosaurs looked like from the available evidence.

3. This thread is not what taiji should look like.

17. liokault

liokault Banned Banned

Would it be libel if I called you a fraud and a charlatan?

BTW, your a fraud and a charlatan.

18. liokault

liokault Banned Banned

So who is your teacher? I know most of them, so please don't lie.

Why in your rant against Wudang did use a fundamental term that no one in Wudang would use to describe what we do?

19. liokault

liokault Banned Banned

Very well put. I am impressed with how much training you are doing. How can you be as over weight as you claim to be and train this much?

In the sense of live and let live Brido, could you agree with the statment below (apart from the sweaty bit.....we do get sweaty)?

20. Taiji Butterfly

Methinks he may fail a pie test... :rolleyes: ;)
    Re Pikul, I must admit he does sound like someone dodgy tbh - very convenient he should suddenly appear with a comparative view similar to Richard's.... :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.