So what should Tai Chi look like?

Discussion in 'Tai chi' started by Baggsy, Jan 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Taiji Butterfly

Taiji Butterfly Banned Banned

2. Taiji Butterfly

You seem to manage that with me much of the time... :rolleyes:

3. Richard Dunn

Richard Dunn Banned Banned

Read again! at no point did I say Eisteddfod had anything to do with religion. In fact I said the opposite I said it kept its distance from the church. They had gods does that make it a religion or not? Eisteddfod predates your reference, every area had one, it was a coming together of the tribes when needed to settle differences under the auspices of the local druid. A druid was not a priest, he was a communicator and peace keeper. A bard kept the stories and the songs that represented history and tradition. Only a bard could become a druid.

4. Richard Dunn

They don't deserve it, you do.

5. cullion

cullion Valued Member

Could you point us to a historical source describing this european rune-based Qi Gong ?

6. Richard Dunn

I have lots of information, I have been collecting it for about 5 years, but it is mine, nah nah!!

Do a google on the names I have mentioned you will find some.

7. Richard Dunn

He is one from my first search took 10 seconds!!

Title: Futhark - A Handbook of Rune Magic Author: Edred Thorsson
    Publisher: Samuel Weiser ISBN: 0-87728-548-9

This book assumes a certain level of Runic knowledge in the reader, and is therefore more suitable for someone who has already studied Runelore. It is one of the few books on the market which covers the Runar Megin, or Galdr as it is called in this book - a use of the Runes in a form of movement not unlike Tai Chi. Also covered are the underlying theories of Rune magic, meditation, symbolism, and even a short section on the correct pronunciation of Old Norse words.

8. cullion

cullion Valued Member

Dude, that's not a history book.

9. Richard Dunn

How do you know, have you read it?

10. Taiji Butterfly

Why exactly do I "deserve" it?
    :confused:

11. liokault

liokault Banned Banned

Are they your spangly suited magicians assistants?

12. cullion

cullion Valued Member

Well, looking through the pages available pre-purchase on Amazon I can see the following 'look inside' info :-

http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0877285489/ref=sib_dp_pt/102-6002624-7804969#reader-link

I can see the first 6 pages, which is enough to see the whole (2 half page) section 'history of the runes' and the two page 'origin of the runes'.

It's not a historical source, and nothing I can see in the sections labelled 'origin' and 'history' back up what you are saying about people mimicking runic shapes with their bodies existing, much less as a form of 'european qigong'.

Perhaps you could point me to the historical sources backing up your view, rather than popular new-age works with no footnotes.

13. Richard Dunn

With pleasure, but first you do the same with Wudang style Tai-Chi.

14. cullion

cullion Valued Member

I don't make any assertions about the history of Wudang style Tai Chi, I just know it to be an effective martial art where applications are taught which even with beginners eyes I can see relationships with movements in the hand form.

So, as I've not made any claims which would require historical examination, back to you Richard.

15. Richard Dunn

Not good enough, you and other Wudangers here have made claims on earlier threads regarding lineage and authenticity. Show me the historic references. As you will see the conversation is just a waste of time. You keep trying to *win*, looking for angles, words that can be distorted. Pointless, but if you wish to waste your time I have a free evening as I am letting an instructor do Luton tonight on her own as good experience. So take advantage while you have me. Perhaps we can find someone to keep score for us, any volunteers?

16. cullion

cullion Valued Member

I haven't mentioned lineage, and for me authencicity in a martial arts class is established on the mat, rather than lineage. The people I train with have done that to my complete satisfaction several times.

Richard, you're as interested in proving your point as anybody else here, stop trying to sound humble and above it all, it doesn't wash. Of course I'd like you to back up what you've said about 'european runic qigong'. If you weren't willing to be questioned as to the veracity of a claim, you shouldn't make it in a public forum. So could you please do so ?

17. Richard Dunn

Then why did you ask the same of me? Your knowledge is limited to your knowledge, you have seen nothing else so in your mind that is all there is.

I am playing and providing myself with entertainment, what else is the internet for? Though when you get someone who is open minded it is satisfying to give a bit, and hopefully recieve a bit, but not from you, you have nothing to give but perdantic rhetoric. I have told you where to look invest some time in looking the same as I have. *If* you are genuinly interested in the answers, then you will invest in finding them. Though there is very little as I have said, but there are enough independent references to provide enough validation for me, you must make your own choices in the matter. I am perfectly willing to be questioned, I am just not here to teach you I am afraid, your attitude precludes this. It is my perogative and choice if I help you. I am normally disinclined to help arrogant children.

18. cullion

cullion Valued Member

I looked where you said and saw it that it wasn't a source of historical information about the 'runic qi gong' you claim once existed in Europe. As for the rest of your rant, well it takes a special kind of fool to lecture others on how to be humble. You're 'high horse' attitude whenever somebody points out a flaw in a claim does you no favours.

19. Richard Dunn

That book was not the only source, I just gave you little help, a prod in the right direction. The internet is not the only source, but it is a good starting place. Enter the words from my article in google and see what you come up with. Or are you more interested in dissing me because I wont do it for you. I am not lecturing you on anything especially being humble, as I say I am not your teacher, I owe you nothing.

20. Pikul

Pikul Valued Member

Hello chaps. I train in both wudang and CMC. From my experience wudang is very physical. The push hands is more akin to wrestling and everyone seems to get very hot, sweaty and out of breath over it. The style doesn't seem to employ internal strikes or focus on letting all the joints fold freely. There's no body mechanics. They are very strong but you can feel their techniques coming on because of the tension and the fact they only use li. Also the applications you learn seem very rudimentary ie move, block, counter.

At the other end of the spectrum is CMC which is a totally different kettle of fish. This is extremely relaxed and very 'rag doll'. The internal strikes are scary to experience. It is a very up close fighting system where heavy emphasis is on elbow and shoulder strikes. The applications that flow naturally out of the push hands are very very sneaky and clever. Your not supposed to get out of breath either.

Just a few observations. It is facinating how different they are.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.