so what happens to MMA fighters when they get older?

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Late for dinner, Dec 31, 2012.

1. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Rampage was bitching the other day about some fighters only getting paid $40,000. I'd fight for a quarter of that in an instant.

Something I want to add to the fighter pay thing: I was talking to one of the guys at the gym about how much our guy got paid to fight there. One of the expenses I didn't realise is the fighters are expected to pay for their own medical which for him apparently clocked in at $1000. Once we clocked in everything else (Although the ufc did pay for the flight and accomodation), then assuming he trained at a camp for the fight then he wouldn't have been left with much. Definintely not when you have a family to look after.

2. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Of course you would... at this point in your life (young, single, still living at home?). Forty grand probably seems like a big number. Once you get out there and spend more time paying bills and dealing with cost of living increases... you realize the big four zero isn't so big. In fact it's a pretty small sum all things considered.

As an example... it doesn't even begin to cover your medical expenses for a fight gone wrong. With the amount that Zuffa makes they could easily afford to set up a health insurance fund for the fighters and their families. It wouldn't even so much as make their wallets break a sweat. Not that it would happen. Mobsters and their offspring aren't the habit of spending on that sort of thing.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  3. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

HideInsurance policy On May 9, 2011 it was announced that Zuffa would be providing year-round customized insurance coverage for any injury suffered by a*UFC *orStrikeforce *athlete.[34] [35] [36] [37] [38] [39] [40] *The policy covers any injuries that occur during competition, training, and non-training related accidents. The policy was underwritten by Houston-based specialty insurance groupHCC Insurance Holdings *and went into effect on June 1, 2011.[40]

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zuffa

4. Dead_pool

once you start taking taxes from that 40 grand itll soon start looking more like 20 grand, and thats US not UK so your looking at 12 grand UK for every 20 grand US.

5. slipthejab

Newsflash. Hell has just frozen over. :eek:

6. Southpaw535

Oh I know its not a huge amount all things considered, but its still more than my family has lived on for a few years. Plus the issue with fighter pay isn't new. If you're getting into the sport then presumably at some point its been bought to your attention that the pay isn't great by professional sport standards. If you've decided to go ahead with the career anyway and then signed a contract agreeing to be paid that amount, then don't complain that that's what you're earning. I'm not saying its perfect by any stretch but its not like fighters walk into it blind.

edit: The point about insurance has already been made and locker room bonuses were mentioned ealrier in the thread, so I'm only talking about declared contract earnings in this post.

7. Teflon

Teflon Valued Member

I find it very interesting how much variance there is in public statements from the fighters regarding this issue. There have been a few disgruntled fighters go public and talk to the press about low pay, pointing out the UFC-disclosed pay days and that fighters lose some of that in taxes, medicals, training fees etc. However, there's more fighters that have gone public to say that the UFC looks after them fine with the extra cash handouts. I read a bunch of articles on this last year at some point and have just tried to find some of those, unsuccessfully. Here is one that I did find, referencing some of those points though:

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news/378068

There was a great one I recall but can't find, and unfortunately I can't remember who it was that said it either, but it was some newish UFC fighter on a contract that was less than 10k/10k. He said that with the extra handouts, the UFC would never see him take home less than 100k a year and most guys who have made it through their first couple fights are in a similar position. That doesn't sound too bad to me for a prelim fighter, considering that still doesn't account for sponsor money and other ventures.

On a sidenote, I believe fighters have huge opportunities to get paid and live a decent lifestyle without fighting (decent, not a millionaire lifestyle). Perhaps we would indeed be helped by people teaching these guys how to take advantage, though they could also look around and just see what other fighters are already doing.

8. Southpaw535

Sean McCorkle?

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news/378493/Three-time-UFC-vet-gives-the-inside-story-on-UFC-pay/

GSP making money in the millions from sponsorship deals in 2012 was a big story at the end of the year. I'm too lazy to dig up loads of examples so here's one

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mma/2012/11/16/georges-st-pierre-business-ufc-154/1710747/

9. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm always baffled whenever I hear an interview with a fighter who complains about not getting paid enough. Just doing something like getting a cheap personal trainer certification (there are some ridiculous "deals" out there for them) and hitting up a mainstream gym to maybe do something like a "boxercise class" could significantly help out with living expenses. Generally, if you're fighting you already look like you're in great shape too so actually being a personal trainer should be a realistic approach for a job that is in line with your desired profession as well.

Putting all your assets in one area (until you get in the upper levels), where you're not signing a contract in other sports like the NFL, NBA, NHL, etc. just seems stupid to me. We had a guy starting out as a pro boxer come through the gym for a couple months to do his mitt work and he was working as a trainer in another gym because he sure as hell wasn't making a living from fighting yet, seemed to have his head on straight.

I find it hard to sympathize with people who have a hard time financially and complain about their organization who often have this huge sob story about why they HAVE to win a fight in the pre-fight interviews. Some level or responsibility needs to be there for their own well-being, especially if you're not on the top shelf of fighters. (Generalizations were made in that statement)

10. Southpaw535

I agree with your post but I think this is where the ufc does fail. They have to cater to the casual market which means "exciting" fighters are the ones making more money, when the ufc really should be about who the best fighter is. Again pointing to Jon Fitch as an example. He had to train as much as he did to reach where he is and he probably wouldn't have made it to a top 10, arguably top 5, fighter if he had to hold down a full time job as well. But, because he's deemed boring by most fans he doesn't get paid a huge amount. That doesn't sit right with me. I get it, but I still don't like it.

Of course there's every chance he's living above his means too, but still.

11. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

To be fair I dont see Finch walking round in a Flava Flav size clock medallion and armani track/chav onesie.....be funny tho

12. CrowZer0

CrowZer0 Assume formlessness.

I always tend to check out a wiki page on a UFC event after watching the fights. They always tend to have reported payouts, taking a look at UFC 155

the payouts were
    • Cain Velasquez: $200,000 (includes $100,000 win bonus) def. Junior dos Santos: $400,000
    • Jim Miller: $82,000 (includes $41,000 win bonus) def. Joe Lauzon: $27,000
    • Constantinos Philippou: $36,000 (includes $18,000 win bonus) def. Tim Boetsch: $37,000
    • Yushin Okami: $84,000 (includes $42,000 win bonus) def. Alan Belcher: $37,000
    • Derek Brunson: $30,000 (includes $15,000 win bonus) def. Chris Leben: $51,000
    • Eddie Wineland: $30,000 (includes $15,000 win bonus) def. Brad Pickett: $17,000
    • Erik Perez: $20,000 (includes $10,000 win bonus) def. Byron Bloodworth: $6,000
    • Jamie Varner: $24,000 (includes $12,000 win bonus) def. Melvin Guillard: $42,000
    • Myles Jury: $16,000 (includes $8,000 win bonus) def. Michael Johnson: $14,000
    • Todd Duffee: $16,000 (includes $8,000 win bonus) def. Phil De Fries: $8,000
    • Max Holloway: $24,000 (includes $12,000 win bonus) def. Leonard Garcia: $20,000
    • John Moraga: $22,000 (includes $11,000 win bonus) def. Chris Cariaso: $12,000

Looking at some of the lower paid guys, considering their living costs, training, management taxes and so on, I do wonder how they manage on the amounts of fights they have in a year.

13. Teflon

Teflon Valued Member

Thanks for the links Southpaw, it wasn't McCorkle, though he is making a very similar point. I've also noticed over the last few months that the UFC has paid out cash quite publicly without need. They paid a guy his show + win money late last year despite the fact he wouldnt be fighting at all and needed time off due to personal reasons. There were also guys who got paid win money despite losing, due to good performance, as well as guys being paid show money if a fight was suddenly cancelled.

The 151 PPV was one of the times that fighters did seem to get screwed, but on closer inspection a lot of these guys were just booked for within the next few weeks anyway, so rather than costing them the money, it just delayed it a couple weeks.

With the 'Of the Night' bonuses on top, discretional bonuses, sponsorships, gifts from the UFC, signing bonuses, Twitter bonuses, and the exposure the UFC provides I have to say I don't think they're hard on fighters at all. The exposure itself is hugely under-rated with the list of things that open up to you being ridiculously huge.

With the Jon Fitch situation, I can't really say I believe how he puts it forwards. For one, Fitch has without a doubt earned enough to support himself and his family each year for the last few at least. Despite going 1-1-1 in the last 2 years, he's still had a disclosed pay of 100k+ each year. The reason he's broke, as he's admitted, is he splashed out on a nice condo, and also on a nice big family house for himself. Now he's struggling to make mortgage payments on both.

Incidentally, his style also costs him money. The UFC is still a business, its a lot harder for them to push Fitch because people dont really want to see him fight. Not many PPV's are sold by Fitch. The same can apply to some sponsors, they won't pay the same amount for a boring but successful fighter that they would for a more exciting, more popular, but less successful fighter.

Edit - I do have to say though, Broke Fitch is nice to watch :)

14. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

He does have a truck like this though...

[​IMG]

I also think he owns two homes if memory serves.
    None of which I degrudge him one little bit but if money's tight you sometimes have to cut back on nice things. :)

15. shootodog

shootodog restless native

It isn't boxing levels yet. Too bad. Considering that they put just as much in and on the line as boxers do.

16. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I reckon they do alright. I don't see Dana White letting any fighter starve as long as they tried their hardest.

17. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

i think it will be someday. mma is just getting more popular world-wide.

18. Dead_pool

People get cut all the time from the UFC, some for taking on fights at late notice, and helping them out.

19. slipthejab

It might be. But if you start doing apples to oranges comparisons it doesn't really make much sense.

That's just it... I don't think there is really a 'standard' - the variances between what a pro-Aussie rules football player, an NFL quarterback and a pro Squash player... are all over the shop.

Rubbish. Why shouldn't anyone be allowed to strive for a better wage and strive to change conditions?

No most of them probably don't.

20. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

If the World deems a mini-shroom to appear into the realities....hes going into Football (soccer). £100k per week as a pro!?
    Thats just stupid money.....