So nervous, and excited.

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by tonyv107, Jan 3, 2012.

1. tonyv107

tonyv107 Valued Member

When I was a child I had always wanted to be a cop. I remember coming home with an assignment to draw a picture of ourselves in our 30's with a story. Mine was drawing of me wearing the Police uniform with a GSD at my side and a huge revolver =D.

As I got older my interests shifted into other things. I went to college with plans to major in Aerospace Engineering, but after one year i realized school wasn't for me. I got into the trades and am working as a union carpenter. Its a good career with plenty of growth opportunity. My company wants me to become a certified QSP, which for short means I would be a water/erosion control inspector. With those cert's I'm guranteed a job and most likely a company vehicle to get from job to job. I am content with this job, and its one of the best paying jobs not requiring a degree, so I've been doing it for almost 5 years now.

Last september I was talking to one of my MT buddies. Turns out he is a Sheriff Deputy, and he told me that SF PD was taking applications. I figured " What the hell, worth a shot." I applied, took the exam and kicked its ass. A few days ago a received a letter saying I was randomly chosen for an oral interview and physical ability test. I am not worried about the physical since its something like running a mile in less then 13 minutes and 30 pushups in one minute( im guessing ).

This is an amazing opportunity and I am so psyched about it! While this is great news I am stressed over the Oral interview. I have nothing to hide. I had a pretty normal childhood, never got into trouble, and I never got involved with the wrong crowd. I've never been arrested or gotten introuble for stealing or cutting class. I did experiment with marijuana a few times but it never became a habit. The reason I stress, is because I have absolutely NOTHING over all the other *qualified* applicants who were randomly chosen. I'm talking about the people who have: wanted this from the beginning and got into police explorer programs, some sort of degree in criminal justice, perhaps some military experience or guard work, and the most important thing a close family member currently employed in the PD to put in a good word/referral.

What can I do to set myself apart from the rest? I am so stressed about it I feel like this will be my only chance to get into PD. Luckily i have until the end of February to prepare.

Thanks for reading.

TL;DR

Applied to SF PD. Kicked Exams ass. Got Randomly chosen for Oral interview. Stressed about preparing for it.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
  2. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

Hi 'tonyv107',

Can't help with your question but do want to wish you all the best hope that you 'kick the ass' of the oral interview.

3. John R. Gambit

John R. Gambit The 'Rona Wrangler

Congratulations. What all my cop friends have said about the oral interview, is that they aren't looking for or expecting Boy Scouts. They advised me to just give truthful answers, which they told me they were primarily looking for. Also, you can't have used illegal drugs in the last five years, even licensed medicinal marijuana. I'm sure the cops here will be able to give you some better advice, but I'll pass on what I've learned about job interviewing well. I've gotten most of the jobs I've interviewed for, even ones I was under qualified for, and I've done this by making the interviewers laugh and getting them to talk about themselves. If you can get them to relax and open up, it's a great way to avoid those hard-lined trick questions people love to ask during interviews.

Again, congratulations and good luck.

4. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I've done this, it's pretty much the best thing you can do.

Word of warning though, every single interview I have went too, I've had the same question... "So what do you know about the Company?"

So seriously revise the history and ranks and equipment and all that crap.

5. unknown-KJN

unknown-KJN Banned Banned

Enthusiasm!

If you lack any substantial credentials (or cronyism influence) that others competing for the job might have, the only way you can make up for it is with enthusiasm. Demonstrate that you want the job more than the other applicants with your attitude & determination. It works with almost any type of job interview where there's a surplus of applicants, so it's definitely worth a try (besides, you got nothing to lose, right?).

Good Luck! :cool:

6. warriorofanart

warriorofanart Valued Member

Congrats man! :)

I have a friend who just finished his last semester at community and was accepted as a Deputy Sheriff. I was interested in putting an application, but it's currently on hold for a month. His advise was not to lie about anything. If you've experimented with Mary Jane in high school (who hasn't?) tell the the truth.

Solid advise from John R. Gambit.

It's an interesting field, and I am sure it has its share of excitement, plus you're doing a pretty honorable duty to your community.

Good luck and I wish you the best!

7. unknown-KJN

unknown-KJN Banned Banned

ROFLMAO

Thanks for the comic relief, WOAA (I mean, who calls marijuana/cannabis, "mary jane"? - even the hippies of the 60's [who originated the moniker] thought it terribly trite after about a week or so :rolleyes: ).

Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
  8. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

From what I can recall of my oral interview, it's more based on how you present yourself, speak, and solve problems. As I advanced, the psychology tests, interview, and polygraph was more about me personally.

I remember I had about 15 minutes to write down two solutions for problems I might face in police work (one was a domestic violence call in which a friend was involved, the other was how to reduce vehicle break ins in a specific area) and then during the interview they threw me a third question to see how I responded. I faced a few police officers of different ranks and even a couple civilians. I dressed sharp for it too, which I think helped a lot, as I was just a few points shy of a perfect score when I got the results back.

The physical fitness test sounds like the Cooper standards. They're looking at only 30% when you first join up, so you're looking at benching 70% your BW, 35 sit-ups in 60 sec, 1.5 mile run in under 13:32, and a 400m sprint in under something like 68 seconds. Try to do more research though as these can vary and some departments use different exercises (e.g. push-ups instead of benching on a Universal machine).

As for background, don't sweat it. One of the nice things about police work is you get people from all sorts of backgrounds. I had military experience which helped, but my degree was in exercise science. Some of the people I work with were chefs, psychologists, construction workers, vet assistants, and a good buddy of mine ironically enough practiced law in New Mexico. It's that wide variety of experience that comes in handy for the unusual things you come up against from time to time.

9. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

Show you can see both sides of an argument, that you are patient and can display understanding, empathy and sympathy as well as being capable of sound decision making ..

Best of luck

Smurf

10. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Congrats on pursuing a life long ambition! Get to it I'm sure you'll do swell!

11. warriorofanart

My prose is always filled with these little gems...:p

12. tonyv107

tonyv107 Valued Member

Thanks guys, I will definitely do some research on the department and educate myself a bit more incase they choose to ask me some questions about how they run. Hopefully I can stay calm and think clearly during the interview.

13. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

What do they really ask?

Coolness! :) I've been looking into this, too. I live just south of LAX, and the airport police has openings.

So, serious questions for you guys who know: What are the specific questions about one's background that the interviewers ask in both the oral exam, and the polygraph? Apparently drug use is bad. Okay, what do they ask? "Have you ever committed the crimes of possession and use of crack cocaine? Or of marijuana?" Or how about, "Have you ever committed the crime of paying for sex?" Or how about the crime of stealing things, even little things? What?

This is a real question. What do they actually ask? What are they looking for? What do they care about?

Sitting in front of a cop or several cops, being quizzed about past behavior --- you know, that's not necessarily a good thing!

14. tonyv107

tonyv107 Valued Member

Part of the exam involves a basic psychological test. It asks if you have ever stolen or lied about hours worked to employer etc. Its important to tell the truth because they will most likely know how you answered on the written exam and see if you contradict yourself in your oral exam.

Believe it or not I've never "stolen" anything in my life though I may have borrowed things from siblings without asking. I don't know how the board would take it but I'm sticking to that.

15. warriorofanart

Well, my friend said they asked him a question along these lines:

If you were transporting inmates on a bus to be relocated/prison/etc. and you witnessed a crime being committed, in this case a pregnant woman being attacked, what is your course of action?

Answer:

Call for backup

16. tonyv107

tonyv107 Valued Member

I think calling for back up applies to nearly everything.
    Example: You're working a night shift, you want doughnuts but your partner wants tacos off the roachcoach across town. They both close in 5 minutes. What do you do?

Call for back up =P

Last edited: Jan 4, 2012
  17. Osu,

That's great, bring your drawings ;)
    (and watch again the first 10 minutes of Men In Black 1)

Osu!

Last edited: Jan 4, 2012